follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #15
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
+1 for stock setup being left as is for any level of street activity. If what you want is bling (nothing wrong with that) get a set of stoptech cryo slotted rotors. $300 or so. They'll probably hold up around as well as OEM and aren't a legit downgrade like cross drilled. And they look proper.

I went round and round in the last few weeks trying to decide what to do for track day setup. Initial plan was just to do pads and fluid. Went all the way around the block considering multiple pad sets/multiple sets of rotors, BBK, you name it. I'm back to pads and fluid. I'm banking on driving for a week or two on the track pads cleaning off the rotors before I swap back to stock to avoid problems with deposits on the rotors.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
If what you want is bling (nothing wrong with that) get a set of stoptech cryo slotted rotors. $300 or so.
This would be a total waste (even looks-wise) IMHO unless you are changing out the calipers at the same time to something painted that covers the entire pad.

On a related note, how hard/expensive would it be for Toyota/Subaru to make the stock calipers ones that cover the entire brake pad (and paint them)? Do they not do it to try to maintain desirability for the upgraded Brembos (or whatever) when they come out?

I don't track so stock pads/calipers are more than good enough for me. But even painted, they still look like crap (although better).
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The problem is it's insanely expensive to pack and ship boxes that large and heavy when you aren't a vendor.
I get that, but I'd bet most of those sellers would happily ship if you paid the cost. But I'm not even going to start to try to talk them into it when they say "local pickup only". If it's a good enough deal to make the effort of that lift seem worthwhile, it's probably too good a deal to be true.

And if they're even remotely willing to be talked into buyer-pays-shipping kind of deals, they probably wouldn't have said "local pickup only" to begin with.

It just confuses me: wheels/tires take up enough room that - if you're storing them properly - you're probably motivated to get them sold fast. I wouldn't turn away any buyer if it were me.

But I think the whole massive-camber gang are completely incomprehensible, so I fully recognize that different people have different perspectives. Everyone should be free to do what they want as long as they aren't messing with someone else's freedom. (I'll keep the full contact patch of rubber, personally. I like being able to turn and stop properly.)
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM   #18
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My $0.02 is that the stock rotors are fine. My planned upgrade over the winter is the following

Motul RBF 660 Brake Fluid (2x 500ml) - $55
StopTech Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines (Full Set) - $125
ENDLESS Brake Pads (SSM Full Set.) - $225
(Would also recommend Project Mu if nothing from the Endless Catalogue catches your eyes. Can't go wrong with CSG Spec pads either.)

You'd be looking in the ballpark of $450.00 for a full upgrade, retaining the perfectly fine stock rotors. I feel like this setup would be good for Street, Backroads, Twisties and occasional Circuit Driving. The rotors IMO are more of a bling factor than anything. Some argue that the slotted and drilled can actually have a negative effect over a flat face rotor. In my opinion, if you're not racing the car odds are the OEM rotors are fine. They're very good quality to begin with honestly.

Living in Virginia with the mountain twisties we have here, I have pushed my car incredibly hard. If you're not on circuit I couldn't imagine really reaping a realistic benefit from aftermarket rotors or a BBK or anything of that nature to begin with.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #19
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,466 Times in 763 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
This would be a total waste (even looks-wise) IMHO unless you are changing out the calipers at the same time to something painted that covers the entire pad.

On a related note, how hard/expensive would it be for Toyota/Subaru to make the stock calipers ones that cover the entire brake pad (and paint them)? Do they not do it to try to maintain desirability for the upgraded Brembos (or whatever) when they come out?

I don't track so stock pads/calipers are more than good enough for me. But even painted, they still look like crap (although better).

It adds weight and a lot of cost for the only benefit being "it looks better" to a few people.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (12-08-2022), Teseo (12-08-2022), Ultramaroon (12-08-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 04:09 AM   #20
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
It adds weight and a lot of cost for the only benefit being "it looks better" to a few people.
So then how come the aftermarket calipers don’t look like the stock? Seems pretty unbelievable that they would add that weight and sacrifice performance just to look good for “some” people.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #21
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,986 Posts
Quote:
So then how come the aftermarket calipers don’t look like the stock? Seems pretty unbelievable that they would add that weight and sacrifice performance just to look good for “some” people.

My thought on this is that, usually, when a vehicle comes with an upgraded brake system, it is usually accompanied by other upgrades (Springs, sway bars, bushings,etc) that would compensate for the increase of unsprung weight, and balance the vehicle out in terms of performance across the board. Whereas a lower trim version wouldn't really see an increase benefit unless accompanied by said upgrades.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #22
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree those stock calipers scream "normal car" but upgrading calipers is generally big bucks. I'm weird and actually prefer a raw aluminum looking caliper. The AP 8350 calipers are the dream to me. And on the GR Corolla, I hate how the performance package ruins those perfect calipers with red paint
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:27 AM   #23
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,466 Times in 763 Posts
Quote:

Because aftermarket calipers are quad piston (or more) and you can't see the pads.

and any painted calipers are going to be ruined with track use, proper track calipers don't get painted as fredzy commented on.

If you just want calipers for looks, cool. Accept that it won't have better performance than the stock calipers though.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #24
___LUNK

Drives: Laguna Seca Blue GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Aren't the 4 pot WRX calipers like 2 lbs lighter than the ones we have stock? The sliders are heavy.
___LUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #25
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm really curious to see what the CP pads are like to live with.
I was curious as well. They're 750usd which made my eyes water a little. Ferrodo Ds2500 are several hundred cheaper and are in the same category for usage.

I've been using stoptech sports on my gen one the better part of 3 years and 60,000-70,000km. Still seem to have some lift left in them as mostly daily use, with some canyon and 2 hours light track usage. The backing plate look like they're about to fall apart due to rust
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #26
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, that's a LOT of money for pads, to be sure. I'm told with the AP 9660 (?) calipers they'll last a lonnng time. I guess I'll find out.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #27
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I was curious as well. They're 750usd which made my eyes water a little. Ferrodo Ds2500 are several hundred cheaper and are in the same category for usage.

I've been using stoptech sports on my gen one the better part of 3 years and 60,000-70,000km. Still seem to have some lift left in them as mostly daily use, with some canyon and 2 hours light track usage. The backing plate look like they're about to fall apart due to rust
While in theory the DS2500 and CP fill the same role, the CP is quieter, less dust, and a substantially higher temperature tolerance, and provided similarly appropriate usage for each pad, more than enough longer life to justify the extra cost.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #28
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Does it add a lot of weight? Essex claims their 299mm AP Sprint kit removes 20 lbs from the front end of the car over stock brakes (Assuming that is 10 pounds per side)..

"Saves 20 unsprung lbs. from nose of vs. OEM brakes"

Even the larger 325mm kit claims a 10 lbs total weight saving..

For daily driving, I agree there is probably no discernable benefit in braking performance with big brake kits, though its never a bad thing to lose unsprung weight..
LRNAD90 is online now   Reply With Quote