follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
snuff58

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MTblue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Same

Glad to see this thread. Before a third track session of the day (in August 2020) had ABS & Traction control warning lights come on. The Torque app reported no error codes. Checked fuses, but didn't leave them out. Missed the session, trying to figure it out. Restarting the car was no use. Eventually, the lights went off on their own. And haven't returned after many following track days.

stock brakes
CSG Tein Flex A's
tight suspension
-3 7/8° front camber, -3° rear, Front 1/16" total toe out, rear 1/16" total toe in
snuff58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #16
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had something similar happen at VIR this past weekend.
After hitting the gators coming out of oak tree the ABS light went on. No VSC warning light

The next lap, braking zone into T1, the right rear and right front locked up without much pedal pressure. Releasing the pedal did not immediately unlock the wheels. Flat spotted new RS-4s

ABS Light went off after turning off the car, and didnt have the problem again.

Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Damn... So basically even if just the ABS light comes on, we should all be taking it SUPER EASY into the next braking zone! Damn haunted ABS/VSC....

I just pull the 40A fuse for tracking now. No matter what the computer *thinks*, it can't apply pressure to the brakes!
On the street, I haven't had any lights at all, and no weird braking behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
I had something similar happen at VIR this past weekend.
After hitting the gators coming out of oak tree the ABS light went on. No VSC warning light

The next lap, braking zone into T1, the right rear and right front locked up without much pedal pressure. Releasing the pedal did not immediately unlock the wheels. Flat spotted new RS-4s

ABS Light went off after turning off the car, and didnt have the problem again.

ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #18
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wonder if there’s a correlation on brake fluid replacement intervals or if it’s solely an electronic issue.

edit: This only comes to mind because I know in some cars, brake fluid neglect causes premature failure or issues with ABS blocks.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I wonder if there’s a correlation on brake fluid replacement intervals or if it’s solely an electronic issue.
edit: This only comes to mind because I know in some cars, brake fluid neglect causes premature failure or issues with ABS blocks.
It's not the brake fluid... For one thing mine gets fully flushed once a year, and for another in my case there is a yaw sensor error involved, which I don't believe could be related to "bad" or old brake fluid.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #20
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Alright, I'll do a suspension nut/bolt check and probably verify alignment before I go to NHMS.

Did you have massive front brake lockups?

Yes - I nuked my set of AR1s because of a massive front lock up as the systems we're talking about failed (and turned off) in the middle of a heavy braking zone.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn... So basically even if just the ABS light comes on, we should all be taking it SUPER EASY into the next braking zone! Damn haunted ABS/VSC....

I just pull the 40A fuse for tracking now. No matter what the computer *thinks*, it can't apply pressure to the brakes!
On the street, I haven't had any lights at all, and no weird braking behavior.
Did you check all your suspension arm bolts? Rear wheels for play? Alignment specs?

Curious what you found out because in my situation it was pretty cut and dried.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #22
Devil 86

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did you do a 2:14 on the continentals or the a7s?
Devil 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #23
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil 86 View Post
Did you do a 2:14 on the continentals or the a7s?
A7s, 5 seconds slower on Contis.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-03-2020), Devil 86 (11-03-2020), rice_classic (11-04-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #24
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Just had the same thing happen on my FRS in the braking zone for T7 (hairpin) at Sebring. Lights out after restarting the car. I dont think I have my good code reader here unfortunately. DESTROYED 2 basically new GY Supercar 3R tires too

On the plus side I'm ~3 seconds a lap faster with CSG spec SRCs than the Eibach R2s.. @CSG Mike

Going to be a total ***** next time out... I still have tomorrow day, tomorrow night and sunday day track time this weekend so pulling the f'ing ABS fuse if I have to.

On a sidenote the car WAS just aligned. THe steering wheel is offcenter slightly so I'm wondering if it needs to be centered through the toyota software (techstream?). I checked all suspension bolts (always do after alignments) this morning and all were snug. I will check them again.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #25
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
On the plus side I'm ~3 seconds a lap faster with CSG spec SRCs than the Eibach R2s.. @CSG Mike
Wow, that is a HUGE difference. Impressive.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #26
ZDan

Quote:
Just had the same thing happen on my FRS in the braking zone for T7 (hairpin) at Sebring. Lights out after restarting the car. I dont think I have my good code reader here unfortunately. DESTROYED 2 basically new GY Supercar 3R tires too
Well dang... At least you didn't hit nuthin!

Front lockups I presume? Symmetrically or did one side lock up sooner/harder? That was how it worked for me... Fortunately I was on Conti ECS at the time and they're hard enough they didn't get badly flatspotted.

Quote:
Going to be a total ***** next time out... I still have tomorrow day, tomorrow night and sunday day track time this weekend so pulling the f'ing ABS fuse if I have to.
I got the same behavior every time I went out, after maybe a lap or so the warning lights would come on and the fronts would be massively overclamped to lockup at the next braking zone.

I couldn't track the car safely until I pulled the fuse.

Next event at Palmer, first time out I forgot to pull fuse, so took it easy for a few laps then came in and pulled it. Unfortunately it was cool to cold ambient temps at Palmer and I had a couple of normal, controllable front lockups but flatspotted the bejeezus out of one of my A7s, had to TT on the Contis :'(

I felt like my CSG spec C2 front pads worked a lot better cold than my WinMax W5 rears, hence too much initial front bias => early front lockups. Wasn't a problem running sans ABS at Watkins Glen.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #27
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well dang... At least you didn't hit nuthin!

Front lockups I presume? Symmetrically or did one side lock up sooner/harder? That was how it worked for me... Fortunately I was on Conti ECS at the time and they're hard enough they didn't get badly flatspotted.

I got the same behavior every time I went out, after maybe a lap or so the warning lights would come on and the fronts would be massively overclamped to lockup at the next braking zone.

I couldn't track the car safely until I pulled the fuse.

Next event at Palmer, first time out I forgot to pull fuse, so took it easy for a few laps then came in and pulled it. Unfortunately it was cool to cold ambient temps at Palmer and I had a couple of normal, controllable front lockups but flatspotted the bejeezus out of one of my A7s, had to TT on the Contis :'(

I felt like my CSG spec C2 front pads worked a lot better cold than my WinMax W5 rears, hence too much initial front bias => early front lockups. Wasn't a problem running sans ABS at Watkins Glen.
Just did some cruising laps (back to eibach laptimes lol) and it happened under throttle turn17.. acceleration went flat for a second like a fuel cut, looked at the cluster and witnessed them both light up then power came back. Took it super easy the next lap and brought it in.

Its throwing a steering angle circuit code every time it happens (turns out i did have my reader). I threw that clockspring in it from a wrecked car so I'm thinking its just damaged and getting worse... or that combined with the off center alignment is just enough to piss off the vsc system.

As for the lockup, front left, then front right, then both with the left leading a little. Breath on the brakes after they do it and they insta lock so i gave up on the tires lives to save the car instead.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-13-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #28
ZDan

Quote:
Just did some cruising laps (back to eibach laptimes lol) and it happened under throttle turn17.. acceleration went flat for a second like a fuel cut, looked at the cluster and witnessed them both light up then power came back. Took it super easy the next lap and brought it in.

Its throwing a steering angle circuit code every time it happens (turns out i did have my reader). I threw that clockspring in it from a wrecked car so I'm thinking its just damaged and getting worse... or that combined with the off center alignment is just enough to piss off the vsc system.

As for the lockup, front left, then front right, then both with the left leading a little. Breath on the brakes after they do it and they insta lock so i gave up on the tires lives to save the car instead.
This sounds very similar to what I experienced. Insane asymmetric front lockups at brake pedal forces way below what should produce that even without ABS. Initial diagnosis with normal OBD-II reader diag was steering angle sensor but deep dive with laptop and diagnostic software showed "yaw sensor error".
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-13-2020)