follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #85
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yesterday, we did some modifications to my RCE SS1 coilovers. We swapped the springs to 4 kg/mm (224 lbs/in) rates with a longer free length. The lowering camber plates were removed and OEM top mounts were added. The car has been raised, but is still about a half inch lower than stock. Also added some rallyarmor mudflaps because I had to do that.

Firstly, no...this is not replacing our RCE Rally-x/Safari spring project. Instead, this is an important data gathering exercise we're doing before committing to (very expensive) OEM fitment prototype springs. Coilovers allow us to easily test different spring rates combined with setting different amounts of travel to mimic what we could do with an OEM style shock. We can collect a lot of valuable data on different surfaces with more travel than stock + and different spring rates.

With this set-up, I have almost a full inch more compression travel up front than OEM while being about 0.5 inches lower. Pretty darn cool! In the rear, the travel is just a little more than stock...the rear shock is just more space limited. I don't feel comfortable going any higher front and rear through spring changes.

Initial on-road ride and bump control impressions are fantastic. The front feels really incredible, like I have an endless amount of compression travel. The rear does feel like it has slightly less wheel travel in comparison to the front, but still feels great. I've caught myself laughing while flying over a stretch of jumbled pavement-like surface leading to a 90 degree right then easily putting power down without drama. You still feel the big bumps of course...but you feel the suspension soaking them up without moving you around all that much. It is a slightly different feeling than a top-tier motorsports track coilover with stiff springs...those soak up bumps too but in a different way and sometimes don't do well with repeated or long stretches of bumps.

This is on absolutely miserable Baltimore city roads (construction, massive dips, sharp edges, steel plates, chunked out concrete, etc). On standard 6 kg/mm RCE SS1s with a lower ride height and camber plates, these roads are okay. You still drive carefully but don't really have to apologize to passengers. Now, I'm kinda sorta seeking out the bumps for fun...

I still have to align the car, but I can do that myself early next week (thank you smart strings!). So no real handling notes as of yet other than feeling more body roll than I had before the spring change. Reminder that I'm on winter tires still...I will also put on my Michelin PS4S soon. The spring rates are just slightly lower than RCE Yellows for reference.

As for how this relates to the Rally-x springs:
1. We think we're in the right ball park for spring rates. Haven't been able to really test handling balance yet.
2. The Rally-x springs with +15mm ride height over stock would have less front bump travel and more rear bump travel than this coilover set up.
3. This is reeeeeeally fun and the other RCE guys are pretty pumped too.
4. More, but I just got these on yesterday.

I will update after the alignment. I do have some ideas about how to get more travel in the rear with coilovers, but we're not there yet. I am also planning on a rally-x soon, but have to choose a date.

Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
beanswv17 (03-29-2019), churchx (03-29-2019), Ricepuddin (03-29-2019), Spawn_Of_Creation (03-30-2019), TeutonicShift89 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #86
Racecomp Engineering

This is just one step in a longer process. There's much more to come and I can't wait to share it with all of you. Thank you for being patient!

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 03-29-2019 at 04:46 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Asidrive (04-02-2019), beanswv17 (03-29-2019), Ricepuddin (03-29-2019), TeutonicShift89 (03-29-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #87
Wiscocrashtest

Drives: 14 BRZ, 16 FoSt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Awesome! Midwest rallyx season has started but looks like the May event is the first one I can make this year. Would love to have some new springs by then
Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #88
Racecomp Engineering

Bit of a setback, I tore my ACL. So I have to miss the first rally-x event of the season. The car feels fantastic and is hysterical fun on the street with a great handling balance, but I need to do more real gravel testing. That's a little difficult for me at the moment. We'll make some progress as my knee heels enough and before I have surgery (after which I'll be out for a a few weeks). I'll post some pictures soon!

- Andrew
Old 05-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #89
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
This is only semi-related to development...how many of you would be interested in a full package with springs, shocks, wheels, possibly brakes, etc.? Or are most of you interested in just springs?

- Andrew
sadly i am in love with my stx prepped set up

Should I ever decide that it's not necessary or I want to change what car to autox with. I do want a "matt farah" esque "Safari BRZ

Youd have to try to fit on Method racing 502 in 17's and maybe Yokohama geolander A/T?

Rally Armor Mud Flaps, your lift kit, and maybe a skid pan and boom.

unique urban crawler with the safari look can minor offroading capabilities. would make a fire trail fun

been in love with the rally brz since the dirt fish school.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #90
Racecomp Engineering

My leg is still in an immoblizer since my knee surgery, so haven't been able to drive for almost 2 weeks now. Absolutely brutal.

Working with BRAID to figure out a reasonably priced 15 inch wheel solution. Enkei and Volk are confirmed but a little more money and/or wait time. Still good options we will offer.

Method 15 inch wheels aren't going to work without spacers or modifying the tie rod ends, so that's not a solution for me personally.

Working on a solution to add some rear travel to my current testing set-up.

As soon as I can walk and drive, I'll be doing some rally-x events to collect some data.

Off to physical therapy. Yay!

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #91
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Regarding combo package .. why not just offer it on site where one can optionally choose other bits on product page of that set/package? It imho shouldn't be offered as only option without bits orderable separately, as for example non-stock brakes would make car non-street legal where i live, who knows the rules in all the other possible customer countries, preset wheel choice - it's very subjective choice often regulated also by looks and other reasons, so some may wish choose other wheels practicality set aside.
P.S. can you share more details on wheels & brakes? For example, if particular 15" wheels will be usable over stock brakes too? Will they be on very heavy side (as most rally wheels are) or a bit lighter model (as if planned set is for light rallying, probably not for "real" stuff that should handle very high jumps, finishing stage with flat tire, cutting corners over ditch, going over big boulders at speed and such .. that sounds to me that they mostly need brake clearance, but not overdone rigidity/strength at expense of weight .. for example like tarmac rally wheel models)
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #92
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Regarding combo package .. why not just offer it on site where one can optionally choose other bits on product page of that set/package? It imho shouldn't be offered as only option without bits orderable separately, as for example non-stock brakes would make car non-street legal where i live, who knows the rules in all the other possible customer countries, preset wheel choice - it's very subjective choice often regulated also by looks and other reasons, so some may wish choose other wheels practicality set aside.
P.S. can you share more details on wheels & brakes? For example, if particular 15" wheels will be usable over stock brakes too? Will they be on very heavy side (as most rally wheels are) or a bit lighter model (as if planned set is for light rallying, probably not for "real" stuff that should handle very high jumps, finishing stage with flat tire, cutting corners over ditch, going over big boulders at speed and such .. that sounds to me that they mostly need brake clearance, but not overdone rigidity/strength at expense of weight .. for example like tarmac rally wheel models)
We'll have different options for sure.

I don't have wheel weights yet, but a good 15 inch rally wheel will weigh 17-19 lbs or around there. I think the ones I've looked at fit over OEM brakes (as opposed to the Subaru/FHI 4 pots) but won't know until I have a set.

- Andrew
Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #93
abec

Drives: 2019 Series Grey, 2016 FRS RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
We'll have different options for sure.

I don't have wheel weights yet, but a good 15 inch rally wheel will weigh 17-19 lbs or around there. I think the ones I've looked at fit over OEM brakes (as opposed to the Subaru/FHI 4 pots) but won't know until I have a set.

- Andrew
I like the enkei's a lot but would be interested in a more affordable solution if possible. The guys in Gazoo Rally challenge CS-3 are running the Volks or Enkeis, I have yet to see a video or photo of any deviation from those two.
abec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abec For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 AM   #94
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abec View Post
I like the enkei's a lot but would be interested in a more affordable solution if possible. The guys in Gazoo Rally challenge CS-3 are running the Volks or Enkeis, I have yet to see a video or photo of any deviation from those two.
Methods arecheaper and being run by everyone in Rally America
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #95
abec

Drives: 2019 Series Grey, 2016 FRS RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was referring to the Gazoo CS-3 class specifically, because its a near stock class that I do not believe allows modification of the tie rod locations. I just installed the suspension used in that series and have been doing way to much research and hunting down specs to remember that I may be the only one who has bothered to actually research that race outside of those in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin View Post
Methods arecheaper and being run by everyone in Rally America
a few posts above,
Quote:
Method 15 inch wheels aren't going to work without spacers or modifying the tie rod ends, so that's not a solution for me personally
Also not looking to modify my tie rod end location. On a dedicated race car, sure.
abec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 AM   #96
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abec View Post
I was referring to the Gazoo CS-3 class specifically, because its a near stock class that I do not believe allows modification of the tie rod locations. I just installed the suspension used in that series and have been doing way to much research and hunting down specs to remember that I may be the only one who has bothered to actually research that race outside of those in Japan.

a few posts above,

Also not looking to modify my tie rod end location. On a dedicated race car, sure.
Ah that was awhile ago forgot about that post.
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #97
scottman

Drives: 13 mt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I run 15" mr501's with all stock suspension/break components.
A 3mm wheel spacer all around and there are no issues. Without it, I was about 1mm away from the front breaks.
Tie rods weren't a problem for me.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #98
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
scottman: you should also mention wheel width & offset.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote