follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
ZoomZoom1

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
perrin rear shifter bushing issues

Need some advice on the Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing.

I installed the bushing this weekend and changed the trans and diff fluid with Motul 300 gear oil. And DAM! that shit was dirty. I'm surprised i have any gears left in there.

Any way. My shifts actually feel more notchy now, especially when down shifting into second to take corners. I drive rather aggressively on the back roads.

Id say 1-2-3 are the most notchy, i almost want to reinstall the oem bushing.

Is there a break in period for the bushing? Has any body had this issue after installing the Perrin shifter bushing. Any advice on getting smoother shifts.

2016 Scion FRS, i got it used with 6k miles on it.
ZoomZoom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho if anything, shifting should not become harder, rather more precise and in some cases even easier (at expense of more NVH transferred to cabin). I doubt there is any break in for rather stiff material bushing that changes/wears little over time. Imho maybe there might be some issues somewhere else. Misinstallation, or eg. slight clutch drag due misadjusted clutch pedal travel. Are oil and that bushing only things that changed? If so .. i'd also suspect mistaken volume of oil fill. I recall complains of worse shifting for both filling too much and also if insufficient level of gearbox oil. As right amount is decided upon bottom of the fill hole, it's worth to ensure that car is level during oil change. (i suspect possible problem on lowered by different extent at front & rear vehicles even if on level ground).
Maybe this DIY can be of help?
Quote:
1. Raise the car. A lift makes this 100x easier, but if you use stands, please lift the entire car onto stands to keep it level. Refer to @GrimmSpeed DIY here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10111
6. If you are using the Motul Gear 300, it has a built in flexible nozzle that fits exactly in the fill hole. Otherwise install the fluid transfer pump and stick the hose into the transmission. Put in 2.2L of fluid or enough to make the fluid come out of the fill hole like in the picture.
7. @cobrabyte had a neat trick. The service manual says to fill until the bottom of the fill hole. Let the fluid weep out of the fill hole. The picture shows you the path of the fluid so you can lay your bucket or towel to catch the drip. WHen the weeping crawls to a near stop then you are pretty much perfect. Check by inserting your pinky into the fill hole. Slightly bend it down and you'll feel fluid right there. Wipe up the mess.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-02-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
ZoomZoom1

The Bushing and oil change were the only things i did. I haven't touched the clutch pedal yet, although i would like it to engage at the top of the pedal, it has too much travel in the stock configuration for my liking.

The car wasn't as level as it could have been. I was using a mismatched pair of jack stands. Ill get a second pair of the black jacks so i have 4 of the same stands and check the fluid this weekend. Ill check the bushing as well, turns out it was suppose to come with washers and they weren't supplied. So ill find some at Napa and put the washers on. I doubt that missing washer would cause the notchy shifter.

As far as amount of oil used i just kept putting in oil until it started running out of the fill hole. I didn't let it run out until it stopped dribbling out. So that might be a factor. Ill get the car as level as possible and open the fill holes and let any extra fluid drain out.

Thanks for the Advice.

Last edited by ZoomZoom1; 04-29-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
My shifting was only better after I had a shop install it for me so can’t be that. Motul isn’t too great I find. I’m using Redline and I like it a bit better.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
churchx

IIRC apart from washers that bushing should have also in set some grease mini-tube to be applied in.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom1 View Post
Need some advice on the Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing.

I installed the bushing this weekend and changed the trans and diff fluid with Motul 300 gear oil. And DAM! that shit was dirty. I'm surprised i have any gears left in there.

Any way. My shifts actually feel more notchy now, especially when down shifting into second to take corners. I drive rather aggressively on the back roads.

Id say 1-2-3 are the most notchy, i almost want to reinstall the oem bushing.

Is there a break in period for the bushing? Has any body had this issue after installing the Perrin shifter bushing. Any advice on getting smoother shifts.

2016 Scion FRS, i got it used with 6k miles on it.
Are you heel toeing on downshifts?
Putting a firmer bush creates a sharper load on the synchros so they are being asked to do their job faster. It also conveys that feeling to your hand more. On top of that changing the fluid will alter the friction coefficient the synchros are working with, again changing how fast they will work and how they will feel.

TL/DR: The changes you've made will change the feel and probably reward more accurate shifts.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
ZoomZoom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Are you heel toeing on downshifts?
Putting a firmer bush creates a sharper load on the synchros so they are being asked to do their job faster. It also conveys that feeling to your hand more. On top of that changing the fluid will alter the friction coefficient the synchros are working with, again changing how fast they will work and how they will feel.

TL/DR: The changes you've made will change the feel and probably reward more accurate shifts.
I do heel toe on the down shifts. Although the pedals could be set up better for this. I did notice that if i'm just cruising in traffic or not asking too much of the trans the shifts are smoother.

I'm gona put it up on stands this weekend and make sure there isn't any extra oil in the trans and check to see how the bushing is seated. It seems that it was bowed a little after i torqued the bolts down. I need to install the washers anyways, which reminds me i need to finds some washer for those bolts.

It might just be down to getting use to a new feeling, but it can be rather hard to get it into second during cornering. It should just slid into the gear. I'm not having to slam it into the gear, but its not exactly sliding home ether.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
churchx

I tried few alternatives, and verus/verox throttle pedal spacer worked for me best for easing heal&toeing.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I second the grease tube. Make sure you grease the end that goes into the bushing. I had a friend experience the same thing, and it felt like what you're describing. I too have the bushing, and when installed properly, yes it's more notchy, but not hard to get into gear anymore than OEM.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notchy shifts, perrin shifter bushing, rear shifter bushing