follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
chuyjr85

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
For those of you interested, we can do any custom kit available for the BC Racing coilovers.

WE don't charge extra for the extreme drop kits, but the Swift springs do incur a charge. Either way, we can help out with custom setups on the kits and any questions you guys have. We can also go over the springrate options (8k/6k, etc.) We are an longtime Authroized BC dealer so we have a pretty good working knowledge of this stuff
Theres no option to order the extreme drop kit on ur website or upgrade to swift springs. However there is an option for rear damping extenders. Sam at BC Racing told me the extreme drop kit will lower the car close to 3" as opposed to 2" with the standard kit. I think i am going to buy the extreme drop kit just to have the option to go lower if i ever want to but do u guys think the extreme drop kit with the 8k springs lowered just enough to cover the wheel gap is a good setup as a daily driver?
chuyjr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyjr85 View Post
Theres no option to order the extreme drop kit on ur website or upgrade to swift springs. However there is an option for rear damping extenders. Sam at BC Racing told me the extreme drop kit will lower the car close to 3" as opposed to 2" with the standard kit. I think i am going to buy the extreme drop kit just to have the option to go lower if i ever want to but do u guys think the extreme drop kit with the 8k springs lowered just enough to cover the wheel gap is a good setup as a daily driver?
Yeah just realized we don't have the Swift kit in that section, we'll get it added. I can help in the meantime though. We'll shoot you a PM
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
SLICVIC

Drives: 2006 STi
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyjr85 View Post
So is it recommended to get a stiffer suspension the lower u go? I just want to cover the wheel gap on my frs and use it as a daily driver...will 8k springs and some damping adjustment be ok 4 me?

when the wheels or tires are literally millimeters away from slapping on the fenders you'd want the least suspension travel. if youre just closing the gap you'll be fine with maybe 8k, but extreme cases you'd want stiffer.

this is my 2006 sti with very aggressive wheel fitment , as u can see milimeters away from the fender lol. Coils were around 6k/7kish set to full stiff. Still rubbed alot.

Friend of mine had a 350z with very soft springs, he had about a half inch wheel gap and when he got in the it dropped about an inch+ . he hated the way it sat parked because he couldnt tuck tire due to how much the car dropped when he was in the car driving. Stiff springs wouldve solved that issue as he wouldve been able to lower the car as much as he wanted and wouldve looked good driving and "hard parked"

-Also i think the swift springs are a bit longer than the normal BC springs so possibly going with the swift springs option might limit the drop available. Maybe one of the vendors can confirm swift spring length versus BC spring length?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Circuit Motorsports

The Swift springs length depends on what rates you get, same for the BC's. The stiffer the spring the longer it will be...so bear that in mind.

The FT86 uses very compact springs and dampers - so there is very little room to work with.

You kind of need to lean to one side or the other - Stanced or Handling/Comfort.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
chuyjr85

I think i will be lowering the car about 2" but i want to have the option to go lower so i think i will get the extreme drop kit. If i get the basic 8k springs with the extreme drop kit, what should i be expecting as far as handling and comfort?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Circuit Motorsports

The 8k springs are what I would call a "firm street kit".

The more you lower the car the worse it will feel though. That's a fact for any coilover kit.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
chuyjr85

I dont have a lot of experience with coilovers, but my last setup was the Tein Basis Street coilovers on a 2002 Honda Accord which were great. The only disappointment was that they didnt lower the car as much as i would have like them to and once lowered all the way down it was actually not bad, kept the ride comfort pretty good. The front did sound like it was bottoming out though, but i didnt get to find out what exactly was causing that bottoming out-like noise.

If i lower the BC BR type coilovers, wether its the standard or extreme drop kit, all the way down, will i have any bottoming out issues?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
Circuit Motorsports

Well..on a Tein Basis as you lower the car you are using up your shock travel, so you were probably bottoming out the shock on most bumps.

On the BCR kit you lower it with the lower clevis mount, so the shock travel will stay the same. So if you do it correctly you'll have the same shock travel no matter what height it is set at.

You still need to consider wheel and tire clearance as well. You will also alter the suspension geometry the ore you lower it, so keep that in mind. That will affect the ride and handling.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Jarumie42172

Drives: 1992 BMW E36 325i, 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICVIC View Post
Is this a good site to get bc coilovers?
Jarumie42172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
SLICVIC

Drives: 2006 STi
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
ive never had experience with this site, just used as an example to show the extra cost for the "extreme drop" version of the coils
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Jarumie42172

Drives: 1992 BMW E36 325i, 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICVIC View Post
ive never had experience with this site, just used as an example to show the extra cost for the "extreme drop" version of the coils
Where's a good place to get bc with extreme drop and 10k springs?
Jarumie42172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
wes1202

Drives: 86
i want a comfort ride what should be the spring rate
wes1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #27
fr3nch13

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes1202 View Post
i want a comfort ride what should be the spring rate
I have the base BR-type coilovers, and the springs that came with them are hella stiff.
I can't find any info on their spring rate, but it needs much less stiff springs.
I'm assuming mine are around 10k, and from what I've read, the stocks are ~4.5k.
fr3nch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
fr3nch13

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
All your questions are based on your budget and your personal preference for the setup.

Shoot us a Message if you want and we can help go over all of the options with you
Do you know what the OEM BR-type spring rates are?
I have them, and they are hella stiff!!
I can't find that info anywhere, and their website doesn't really offer any spec info.
fr3nch13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, lowered, options, suspension