follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
We are talking 2018. They have nothing.
Oh really, I had no idea.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CR vs Ts,

I'll take the unicorn CR, thanks.

10 years down the road, CR will be worth a load of money, as if a mint s2000 didn't already cost an arm and a leg. Ts, not so much....

Pure driving experience, S2000 wins hands down. Practicality and carrying stuff? sure, the 86 can have that one.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-08-2018), Jordanwolf (03-07-2018), Scracho (03-08-2018), Tristor (03-09-2018), Yardjass (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
You can think that but I, along with every company not trying to compete with the cayman (Honda included) disagree.
Why would any company try to compete with a low volume car? You may have got the point, but your response was seemingly a blanket statement misdirection; Honda could build a car within that $62k CAD price range that would have the potential to be better.

Think of the 86 in this scenario, we all praise the thing, it's affordable, easy to maintain thus far, reliable and handles well. All of this for various low prices, but then why don't they make a $62k Cayman killer? I mean they have the MR2 which they can base the tech off of, Toyota is the most wealthy Automotive company, and if you look at the LFA, they have the engineers.. So why don't they make the car to trump a low volume Porsche Cayman?

Trick question, none of us peasants know, but if I was to guess, it's not because the Cayman is unbeatable, it's because it would generate next to no profit.

There's 2 of me, Baby NSX/LFA dreamers, for every 100000000 Corolla, Civic, Elantra, Focus normal peasants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-07-2018), Tristor (03-09-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #32
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Why would any company try to compete with a low volume car? You may have got the point, but your response was seemingly a blanket statement misdirection; Honda could build a car within that $62k CAD price range that would have the potential to be better.

Think of the 86 in this scenario, we all praise the thing, it's affordable, easy to maintain thus far, reliable and handles well. All of this for various low prices, but then why don't they make a $62k Cayman killer? I mean they have the MR2 which they can base the tech off of, Toyota is the most wealthy Automotive company, and if you look at the LFA, they have the engineers.. So why don't they make the car to trump a low volume Porsche Cayman?

Trick question, none of us peasants know, but if I was to guess, it's not because the Cayman is unbeatable, it's because it would generate next to no profit.

There's 2 of me, Baby NSX/LFA dreamers, for every 100000000 Corolla, Civic, Elantra, Focus normal peasants.

what they said
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #33
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
CR vs Ts,

I'll take the unicorn CR, thanks.

10 years down the road, CR will be worth a load of money, as if a mint s2000 didn't already cost an arm and a leg. Ts, not so much....

Pure driving experience, S2000 wins hands down. Practicality and carrying stuff? sure, the 86 can have that one.
I'm waiting for S2040.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (03-08-2018), Tristor (03-09-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #34
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

of course we are all praising the frs. its an frs forum. zoom out a little and you realize its slower than basically all of its competition to get there it took the work of two manufacturers to get there. even if we erase all the signs pointing to the difficulty of the task, what makes you think honda could do better for cheaper?
Tcoat (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #35
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
of course we are all praising the frs. its an frs forum. zoom out a little and you realize its slower than basically all of its competition to get there it took the work of two manufacturers to get there. even if we erase all the signs pointing to the difficulty of the task, what makes you think honda could do better for cheaper?
Ya just don't get it. I made no mention of Honda making a cheaper better car, pretty sure I said given a $62k price point or near it, Honda could make a better car with a similar design. Running costs is what would be cheaper because Honda Power TM
Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #36
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Idunno, the current Type R is a really great feat for them and they achieved that at a modest, yet still somewhat expensive price point. Tac on another 20k (CAD) and you are in Cayman territory, but have a ton of wiggle room, not to mention the obvious cheaper to maintain Honda car. I really think Honda could make a better car than the Cayman at that price point.
Quote:
Ya just don't get it. I made no mention of Honda making a cheaper better car, pretty sure I said given a $62k price point or near it, Honda could make a better car with a similar design. Running costs is what would be cheaper because Honda Power TM
how is that different?

Last edited by fatoni; 03-07-2018 at 08:53 PM.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #37
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Oh really, I had no idea.
Yea. First gen NSX is more expensive than its worth now, and old. No reason Honda couldnt do like a MR2 type. An affordable car.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #38
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
how is that different?
U r a brain wave fam.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #39
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

They are. The Supra. Although, I question its ability to actually put up any sort of real fight. The existence of the Cayman and the Corvette at that price point make it very difficult for anyone else to compete. The only way I think the Supra stands a chance is if they engineered a lot of extra safety factor into the drivetrain like they did with the mkIV. If tuners can safely and easily add power, they might have a hit. Otherwise Porsche and Corvette are going to thrash it just like they do with everything else.

Quote:

Who said anything about cheaper? VW group didn't design a car to break the top speed world record, then a faster version to retake it, and then an even faster successor to make money. It lost money but they did it to show off and generate brand excitement; something Honda or any other company could just as easily decide to do.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-08-2018), Tristor (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #40
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Debatable but within reason. My argument was in the context that Honda can't do that today for the price of a cayman, let alone less. They couldn't do it then and they can't do it now. Not to sell short what a lot of companies do but the cayman benefits from a lot of preexisting resources Porsche has.
I agree there's exactly zero chance of any company matching the cayman. 911 has it's competition, boxsters have their competition.. caymans are just in a category of their own. bmw M2, Audi TT rs, maybe a jaguar Coupe... What even is the real competition for a cayman nowdays?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #41
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
They are. The Supra. Although, I question its ability to actually put up any sort of real fight. The existence of the Cayman and the Corvette at that price point make it very difficult for anyone else to compete. The only way I think the Supra stands a chance is if they engineered a lot of extra safety factor into the drivetrain like they did with the mkIV. If tuners can safely and easily add power, they might have a hit. Otherwise Porsche and Corvette are going to thrash it just like they do with everything else.
I don't think you can say the Supra competes with the Cayman, different layouts, it only competes with the Corvette, and the same thing for the Corvette competing with the Cayman, despite their similar prices. If price was the only factor sure, but I said same drive train/engine layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
I agree there's exactly zero chance of any company matching the cayman. 911 has it's competition, boxsters have their competition.. caymans are just in a category of their own. bmw M2, Audi TT rs, maybe a jaguar Coupe... What even is the real competition for a cayman nowdays?
... A Boxster is a Cayman..?? They are both under the umbrella of 718, am I wrong? I will agree that the Cayman are in there own category, but not because they are the best possible cars, more because no one cares to compete with a very similar engine and drive train layout.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #42
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
... A Boxster is a Cayman..?? They are both under the umbrella of 718, am I wrong? I will agree that the Cayman are in there own category, but not because they are the best possible cars, more because no one cares to compete with a very similar engine and drive train layout.
Nice multi-quote.

Also yes, they are extremely similar, especially now with the whole 718 thing but the cayman is still a hardtop and must handle better than the soft top boxster.

Also Boxsters are for girls..

BUt yeah I also think it would be dumb for another manu. to try and compete with it... It's just too smal of a market.