follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm in the same boat also. I'm planning to beef up my engine but I'm using a vortech v3 with a 3.12 pulley. If I go with a lower cr, it looks like I'm going to go with a smaller pulley to get where I am now hp wise. Do Carrillo and JE make 11 cr Pistons for our car?
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #16
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
The Crawford BRZ has a fully built engine running some serious boost. I dont know if their details are up on the web somewhere. Maybe shoot them an email. My plan is to do exactly what they've done.

They've pushed that car even further now. I think its around 500 hp and running well last I heard. Its too bad they were chased from the site like many people who could provide insight into some things.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
^^ They also tried to tell everyone you need a built engine for 250whp...
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Thinking about strengthening my engine so that I can increase the boost considerably, but I've never done anything with engine internals at all before so I'm looking for general opinions on what I'll need to strengthen/improve.

First of all, here's the relevant parts that I already have installed on the car:
  • AVO stage 3 turbo (currently at 12 psi of boost in the highest map)
  • 3 inch turbo back exhaust
  • uprated fuel injectors and fuel pump
  • oil cooler
  • Helix clutch
  • 600 bhp rated drive shafts (axles) from The Drive Shaft Shop

So what would you guys suggest doing to the engine before we up the boost further? Interested to hear your thoughts on the following:
  • Carrillo con rods (seem to be widely regarded as being one of the best for rods)Carrillo is great but they are more expensive due to lighter weight, I have seen Pauter hit 750WHP in a FA20 block
  • Carrillo pistons or JE pistons?Again CP is good JE SRP Wiseco all capable of supporting what you want
  • 9:1 compression ratio or 10:1 compression ratio? Worried that 9:1 might be a bit low for off boost driving... lets be honest the stock engine is already pretty lacking low down in the revs, so I don't want to make that a lot worse if I can help it. But perhaps with a lower CR we can map the boost to come in sooner? Older 1990's cars ran 9:1 like Honda civics, people always think its too low. Lower compression allows for more boost on street gas like 93 Octane vs running 10:1 11:1 and resorting to E85 everywhere.
  • Should I get stronger valve springs? One tuner I spoke to said really not necessary and one said it would be a good ideaYES Valve float is very common on these engines look at Ferrera
  • Stock crank ok? One tuner recommended going for the HKS 2.1 stroker kit and one of their reasons was that they had issues with the oil drillings in the stock crank (the HKS kit comes with its own crank) Stock crank is fine the HKS wont work with factory rods its a 48mm journal from the Nissan RB26 SR20 not a 51mm and a larger stroke.
  • Stock oil pump ok? Found a thread on here from someone who did the HKS stroker kit and had a supercharger as well, and they mentioned that they upgraded the oil pump.Reimax makes a nice pump @Element Tuning is testing it now
  • Do I need to get new bolts for the cylinder head and main engine block? I've seen some ARP ones for sale but no idea if I'll actually need them or not.Case bolts are probably fine stock ARP does not make them anyhow. Would recommend replacing headstuds EVERYTIME might as well buy ARP for that.
  • Stock oil sump pan ok? One of the tuners I spoke to recommended getting a baffled sump but then I found a thread on here where someone said it was pretty pointless in our engines.Depends on use of vehicle the only downfall we have is lateral G's and baffling with oil starvation. Lots of larger capacity pans out there with baffles.

I know there's a lot of questions there... no worries if you can only answer a couple of them. Any solid information from people who have experience with this kind of thing (even if its in other cars) will be much appreciated as I'll admit I'm a n00b (but that's one reason why I'm doing this... to learn).
See in RED Above

Edit*** @Spartarus beat me to most of it
Old 07-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the answers guys.

RE the oil pump - it seems like ElementTuning said in his thread about it that the Reimax pump might not do enough to improve the oil pressure situation. I've posted in that thread asking for more details and alternatives though.
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
Do Carrillo and JE make 11 cr Pistons for our car?
JE have 10.5:1 and the highest I've seen for sale from Carrillo for this engine is 10:1 but they may well do 11:1 as well. Email them and ask - I got a fairly quick response from them last time I emailed them
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Subbed
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
^^ They also tried to tell everyone you need a built engine for 250whp...
A money grab on their part for sure, but they still had experience and knowledge to offer...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #23
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
JE have 10.5:1 and the highest I've seen for sale from Carrillo for this engine is 10:1 but they may well do 11:1 as well. Email them and ask - I got a fairly quick response from them last time I emailed them
Carrillo does have 11:1??
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote