follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #323
Hector

Drives: Toyota GT86 Satin-White-Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok!
That sounds like primarily modified FI cars are advised to choose EcuTek which exceed OEM specs by far and need that little extra.
Usually i consult my tuner in questions like this, but i wanted to hear a wider spread opinion.
Vishnu seems to get around these issues quite well and since you wont
get past 300 crank HP, is that really such an disadvantage?
Just for my understanding. There are no custom maps possible in Open Source and no workarounds possible to overcome these
shortcomings with available maps, hacks or bolt ons? I always thought Speed Density, Flex Fuel and some RaceRom features are somehow possible with Opensource?
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #324
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Ok!
That sounds like primarily modified FI cars are advised to choose EcuTek which exceed OEM specs by far and need that little extra.
Usually i consult my tuner in questions like this, but i wanted to hear a wider spread opinion.
Vishnu seems to get around these issues quite well and since you wont
get past 300 crank HP, is that really such an disadvantage?
Just for my understanding. There are no custom maps possible in Open Source and no workarounds possible to overcome these
shortcomings with available maps, hacks or bolt ons? I always thought Speed Density, Flex Fuel and some RaceRom features are somehow possible with Opensource?
None of those are possible for open source. This is why only a few forced induction kits have been used with oft. And simply editing the rim is more frustrating from the tuner side of the fence. I can't say I have ever talked to anyone that actually liked any of the open source editors. I would pay $200+ just for the ecutek rom editor to avoid using rom raider. I wish it would let me save open source capable roms so I didn't have to use rom raider...

On oft they used a vortech which has one of the smoothest maf out of any intake / fi kit on the market. So it is super simple to use up until about 10-11psi. Then they used sbd which isn't terrible. But if you used say a jrsc you would max the maf voltage out on some cars as low as 6400rpm. And after that rom you need speed density to accurately tune it. Even the vortech gains from using speed density up top as the maf starts to lose accuracy after I want to say 4.4v. The vortech is "good enough" up until about 4.8-9 but an extra few ponies can be squeezed out when you have more accurate engine load calculated.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #325
Hector

Seems like a new EcuTek-License is necessary.
I also like the look & feel of EcuTek much more but dislike that every single log has to be configured seperately with no configurable presets like VVT, MAF-Scaling etc.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #326
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
Seems like a new EcuTek-License is necessary.
I also like the look & feel of EcuTek much more but dislike that every single log has to be configured seperately with no configurable presets like VVT, MAF-Scaling etc.

This drives me absolutely insane. I have talked to ecutek many times and it is not in the current plans to add it any time soon. :/
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #327
Hector

You just have to be a black belted martial arts master tuner.
Then you don't feel the pain.

Tags
ecutek, edit, proecu, racerom, tuning