follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #225
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini&aVette View Post
How come no one understands that when you put the Auto in manual mode you decide where the shift points are and you can bring the car to red line without the trans taking over. I've had many manual cars and this auto is the best I've ever had. I very rarely drive it in auto mode I'm mostly in the higher rpm curve and love downshifting into corners. Oh and my **** is bigger because I have a pilots license and really feel connected but that's to hide the shame of driving my auto.
I had the paddles in my BMW and always used them. Just didn't feel the same to me. Sorry

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #226
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
How come no one understands that when you put the Auto in manual mode you decide where the shift points are and you can bring the car to red line without the trans taking over.
That feature has existed for well over a decade now, I'd be surprised if there was anybody here that hasn't driven a car and tried it, I know I have and personally I've always been underwhelmed.

I've also driven VW's DSG, a true dual-clutch automated manual gearbox and felt underwhelmed (I was not shopping for myself though when testing it) and I have not driven the AT in the 86.

Even if it was on par with supercar dual-clutch transmissions I wouldn't want it. I'm sure it's fantastic and I would never say it's bad and that you made the 'wrong choice' but at this point in time trying to convince someone of a transmission's merits is like trying to convince them that one color has merits over another color. Personal preference.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
clayrush (09-07-2015), soulreapersteve (09-06-2015), Tcoat (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #227
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
We're getting an automatic. The wife doesn't want to drive stick and I still get to paddle shift. A good compromise. I think auto is better in traffic jams too, which we have to deal with regularly...

I've driven the car and I CAN"T wait to get one under my arse! I reminds me of my RX7 in the 80's. But, better.
I have nothing against automatic transmissions but please, if you get this car, get it with a manual transmission. I understand your wife doesn't want to drive manual, but you would be making a mistake, per se, to get this car in automatic.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk
jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #228
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post

Lambo, Ferrari etch... have caught on and that's where the business is. There model is now to sell more cars. Not make them for enthusiasts.

Soon we will have cars that drive themselves because they will be quicker around tracks.

Are you trying to say Lamborghini and Ferrari are not making cars for automobile enthusiasts?

Are you saying people will want driver-less cars because they will be quicker around the track? I'm not sure what your trying to say.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to synchromesh For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #229
Mini&aVette

Drives: 2015 FR-S 1.0 very yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee842 View Post
I have nothing against automatic transmissions but please, if you get this car, get it with a manual transmission. I understand your wife doesn't want to drive manual, but you would be making a mistake, per se, to get this car in automatic.

You are too funny
Mini&aVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #230
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Quote:
You are too funny
What do you mean????

jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #231
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee842 View Post

Why? If you know what you're getting, no reason to avoid it, the platform is still a blast to drive.

cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #232
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I'm normally good with obscure references but I'm stumped on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Intravenous:
A method of introducing nutrients directly into the circulatory system removing the need for consuming solid food.
I was with @Andrew025 on that one, I read it every possible way EXCEPT as "intravenious" (IV). Doh!

Thanks for the clarification @Tcoat

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #233
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Are you trying to say Lamborghini and Ferrari are not making cars for automobile enthusiasts?

Are you saying people will want driver-less cars because they will be quicker around the track? I'm not sure what your trying to say.
Exactly. They are making cars for people with money that are eager to spend and show it off. Sometimes called "new money"

And yes, exactly about the track. I remember also Audi has a car that can drift on it owns haha....so looks like drifting will become a computer sport

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #234
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
So, here is my summary of the issue here based on unscientific study I just made up in my head....

99.99999% of us that bought the AT bought it for whatever reasons we bought it, and are glad it was available, and are happy with it. 90% of us that bought it in AT would have purchased it in MT if that was all that was available. 0% of the persons that purchased an AT believe it should only have been available in AT and no one should have a choice in the matter.

95% that bought it with MT are glad it was standard, but don't care that the AT was an extra cost option. These discussions continue because 5% of MT purchasers think no one should have a choice except the one they deem "correct", believe AT should be banned from anything that has "sport(s/y/ish)" associated with it, because that's just the way it should be.

In the end, there are lots of things in the 86 that I don't need, but I'm OK they were available or standard. I didn't need power windows/locks for example. I definitely did not need nor want keyless start, dual climate control, HID headlights, but I'm OK that they were available for others that wanted to pay for them.

So why then do we have thread 99,999 on this subject? Because there is a percentage of owners that think their way is the only "right" way and everyone else feels the need to defend themselves.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (09-06-2015), Impureclient (09-06-2015), Mim (09-10-2015), Mini&aVette (09-06-2015), soulreapersteve (09-06-2015), strat61caster (09-06-2015), Tcoat (09-06-2015), why? (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #235
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
2 reasons actually.

First, marketing. They get faster lap times with auto.
Second, rich kids or someone who doesn't care about driving can buy the Ferrari, drive it and claim there car can do the nurburgring in a certain time.

People like Kane west doesn't care abut driving or the history of Ferrari. They just buy those cars as items to show they are rich.

Lambo, Ferrari etch... have caught on and that's where the business is. There model is now to sell more cars. Not make them for enthusiasts.

Soon we will have cars that drive themselves because they will be quicker around tracks. People let technology take over there life way too much.

I swear, by 2030 people will be saying how having the computer drive the car at the track is better than actually driving it yourself hahaha
and ur car has already been computerized from steering to power and even manual transmission
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #236
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Correct, they do not make cars for enthusiasts, at least not the kind of enthusiasts who drive them hard and fast but rather for the enthusiasts who like to keep them under dust covers in the garage and uncover them for parties or getting coffee when it's busiest.

http://jalopnik.com/ferrari-chairman...ced-1632879452
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #237
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Quote:
Exactly. They are making cars for people with money that are eager to spend and show it off. Sometimes called "new money"

And yes, exactly about the track. I remember also Audi has a car that can drift on it owns haha....so looks like drifting will become a computer sport

I'm not perfect and make mistakes as well. My English can be off when in a rush.

I still don't get what your exactly getting at. Are you saying people with lots of money to spend on a car are not enthusiasts? I might be wrong on this one, but I always thought F1 and endurance racing was leaning more towards "old money".

Are you saying drifting competition in the future will be done without drivers but more along the lines of automated vehicles?
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #238
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Oh and my **** is bigger because I have a pilots license and really feel connected but that's to hide the shame of driving my auto.
Haha, another post mentioning d!ck size. What is it with you auto trans guys?
joe strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joe strummer For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-06-2015)