follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
steve99

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,833 Posts
Mentioned: 524 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtbirchfield View Post
@GsxrMe I might end up doing that.@steve99 I have a Invidia front pipe and wasn't knocking until I replaced the overpipe, even with the stock headers. I reinstalled the oem front pipe and still no good. Everything bolts up no problem, so I am guessing it's just the mounts. There is less than half and inch of clearance between the subframe and the bottom of the overpipe. @humfrz I'd really like to keep an aftermarket pipe on there. I am going to try the Perrin mounts and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just reinstall the OEM overpipe. I was wondering though, does the Perrin overpipe fit any better?
you reinstalled the dough nut type gasket at rear of front pipe?

alse it sounds like a out of tollerance overpipe
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 23,657 Times in 12,965 Posts
Mentioned: 575 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, now, @Jtbirchfield, let’s see if I have this straight.

You have a stock engine block, sitting on engine mounts, that give a bit, and hooked to that you have a aftermarket (Skunk2 header), which is hooked to an aftermarket (Invidia) overpipe, which is hooked to an aftermarket (Invidia) front pipe.

All this is jammed into a tight space and winds in and around other things.

In a perfect world, all would fit and nothing would bang against anything else.

It’s been my experience, in wrenching around and modifying automobile engines for the past 60 some years, that sometimes things need to be “tweaked” a bit in order to work/fit proper.

Thus, my recommendation is to bend, twist, push, wire over, whatever is not fitting quite right.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 AM   #17
Jtbirchfield

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@steve99 I did not reinstall the doughnut gasket because I have a 3 inch Perrin catback on it which comes with a 3 inch flange gasket.
Jtbirchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
RD1428

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine knocks a little under acceleration, thinking about just heat wrapping it good so i doesn't hit hard.. Eventually upgrade my mounts... I'm FI too so the engine moves a good amount
RD1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #19
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Let me start by saying I'm turbocharged. Making the downpipe, over pipe, and front pipe meet without touching the frame required a bit of tweaking.

I'm reading what you posted, and let me quote it back to you a different way...

"Hey guys, so I bought cheap aftermarket exhaust parts, and I mixed and matched the brands... So, um, I'm not sure how to say this, but they don't match up perfectly and I think that's bullsh*t... So, I'm going to publicly dog on the brand names, and willfully make no attempt to fix it."

Doesn't that sound sh*tty? Of course they don't match up. Take the heat shield off of your stock overpipe. It isn't round. It has huge distortions and variations in diameter in order to make it fit with the heatshield.. It looks like somebody took a hammer to it. These aftermarket companies promise you a constant diameter mandrel-bent unit. They will necessarily deviate from the shape and fitment of the stock part. If you mix and match brands, you will almost assuredly have to deal with fitment issues. Especially in tight spaces. Especially with cheap parts. Period.

By the way Dublin, I hope you meant Dublin Ohio or Dublin California, because otherwise you're sitting on the right hand side... I don't mean to be a d*ck, I just get skeptical when a low-post-count user comes and beats on a product, making sure to mention the brand names loudly and often. I start to worry that I'm seeing false-flag vendor-bashing. It's happened in more than a few threads. I get more suspicious and less sympathetic when that user ignores advice and seems unwilling to try to fix the problem. I like Mr. Humfrz's suggestion. If you don't want a solution, why post a problem?

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-05-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
frosty288

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
sounds like overpipe hitting chassis, try removing ftont pipe bolt from mounting bracket then lift btacket so you can put the bolt UNDER the bracket not through the hole and tighten up, this will lift overpie a bit, it that works then drill a new mount hole in frontpipe bracket on car chassis and use nut\bolt with lock washer to mount front pipe
This is what I did when I installed my overpipe and it worked, doesn't touch the frame any longer.
frosty288 is offline   Reply With Quote