follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #785
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
Drifter

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
alot of awesome material and footage in this thread, I wish i could allow myself to read all thirty six pages of it... id upload my drift video but the footage is just as rookie as my first time drifting... F-IT im posting it
[ame]http://youtu.be/aP2_pdGTSNE[/ame]
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #786
shifter907
Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ Ltd 6MT
Snow dorifto.
Mall cop showed after some guy in a Tundra NARC'ed.
All he said was "You can't be doing that here," and we both went our own ways lol.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_EapSujtn50?t=23s[/ame]
Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #787
2015firestormFRS

Drives: 2015 firestorm scion FRS
I just attended my first event Saturday and had a blast, I learned donuts and figure eights in open parking lots first but the course we went to was much harder and faster than a parking lot with elevation and surface changes.

I was suffering a lot from understeer, the suspension and alignment are stock, I ran stock wheels and tires up from and 16" Wrx wheels in back with 195/50/16 kuhmo all seasons. Front pai was 30 hit rear was 35. Any inputs on helping dial this out? Never felt like this with all four stock wheels and tires
Old 01-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #788
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015firestormFRS View Post
I just attended my first event Saturday and had a blast, I learned donuts and figure eights in open parking lots first but the course we went to was much harder and faster than a parking lot with elevation and surface changes.

I was suffering a lot from understeer, the suspension and alignment are stock, I ran stock wheels and tires up from and 16" Wrx wheels in back with 195/50/16 kuhmo all seasons. Front pai was 30 hit rear was 35. Any inputs on helping dial this out? Never felt like this with all four stock wheels and tires

It's hard to say due to it being your first event. Is this your first time drifting, or just with an FRS? From the factory they are setup pretty neutral but rear tire pressure you could increase to like 55 to keep the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #789
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I was going to suggest lowering front tire pressure. I personally prefer my front tires to be no more than like 30psi hot
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #790
2015firestormFRS

Thanks guys, it was my first time drifting. I did manage to do a couple good sections of the course but I never linked anything.

It was so weird, I'd turn in and stab the gas and the front end would wash out it was really frustrateing but next time I will try more rear pressure. What do you suggest for tire pressure in the front? They tires have been rotated and practicing donuts the tread is a little worn on them
Old 01-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #791
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Thanks guys, it was my first time drifting. I did manage to do a couple good sections of the course but I never linked anything.

It was so weird, I'd turn in and stab the gas and the front end would wash out it was really frustrateing but next time I will try more rear pressure. What do you suggest for tire pressure in the front? They tires have been rotated and practicing donuts the tread is a little worn on them
The car doesn't really have a bunch of power so "power over" isn't really the best choice maybe. I'd say kicking the clutch would be the easiest method, or a "feint" manuever to initiate. Feint while stabbing the throttle could probably get the car to oversteer. Kicking the clutch is pretty much a guarantee though to initiate.

For tire pressure. I'd start at like 30psi cold and then after a few runs, see where they're at. If it still feels like too much, go down 1-2psi and try again. Do a few runs and check again. Do that until you find something that feels comfortable. It's easier to take air out than it is to put more in (unless you have the means to do so at the track).

It's also going to wash a bit given the type of tires and alignment you have. Low grip tires with no front camber doesn't give a lot of grip up front to begin with. If you don't want to spend the money for coilovers or something, I'd recommend camber bolts to allow you to run more camber up front. It'll help with turn in and grip mid-drift.

You can also increase rear tire pressure but remember that when you do, the grip does decrease, but the tires wear out at a faster rate.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #792
loafy777

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
How are the PBM coilovers vs the Stance SS in terms of overall quality?

Speaking of Stance, is the actual default spring rate 6k/6k or 7k/8k? I was looking at FT86SpeedFactory's classified ad which lists 6k/6k but their site shows 7k/8k.

Back to PBM: they seem to tout the Comp line as the more FIRM of the two so I'm guessing that the PRO would be welcomed for my DD purposes. They've also likened that to stock power vs "high power". I'm stock at the moment but eventually plan to go FI. At the PRO price point though, we're talking $1350 - a far cry from something like the ST @ $850 but that is obviously in a different league with less adjustment while still being considered a quality piece.

I put this here for the drifter perspective on something that will be daily driven as well (the car will be a DD first and foremost). @mr. slim mentioned liking the street feel which is encouraging but also one man's opinion.

Sorry for the rambling but... Thoughts?
loafy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #793
2015firestormFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
The car doesn't really have a bunch of power so "power over" isn't really the best choice maybe. I'd say kicking the clutch would be the easiest method, or a "feint" manuever to initiate. Feint while stabbing the throttle could probably get the car to oversteer. Kicking the clutch is pretty much a guarantee though to initiate.

For tire pressure. I'd start at like 30psi cold and then after a few runs, see where they're at. If it still feels like too much, go down 1-2psi and try again. Do a few runs and check again. Do that until you find something that feels comfortable. It's easier to take air out than it is to put more in (unless you have the means to do so at the track).

It's also going to wash a bit given the type of tires and alignment you have. Low grip tires with no front camber doesn't give a lot of grip up front to begin with. If you don't want to spend the money for coilovers or something, I'd recommend camber bolts to allow you to run more camber up front. It'll help with turn in and grip mid-drift.

You can also increase rear tire pressure but remember that when you do, the grip does decrease, but the tires wear out at a faster rate.
Okay cool, thanks a lot Tyler. I was hesitant to clutch kick alot because I didn't want to be too hard on the car so I was trying the feint more and handbrake. Feinting was deffinately understeering the most as well with power over and like you said it was most likely a grip issue. If I could initiate with enough speed in I was able to sustain a decent drift but transitions were hard. What type of cold weather tire would work well in the front? I've also been looking at camber bolts and I think I should change my trans and diff fluid before another event. How frequently are you guys servicing the engine oil, trans and diff fluids? It's my daily driver and I want to take care of it while attending an event once or every other month.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #794
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Okay cool, thanks a lot Tyler. I was hesitant to clutch kick alot because I didn't want to be too hard on the car so I was trying the feint more and handbrake. Feinting was deffinately understeering the most as well with power over and like you said it was most likely a grip issue. If I could initiate with enough speed in I was able to sustain a decent drift but transitions were hard. What type of cold weather tire would work well in the front? I've also been looking at camber bolts and I think I should change my trans and diff fluid before another event. How frequently are you guys servicing the engine oil, trans and diff fluids? It's my daily driver and I want to take care of it while attending an event once or every other month.
Well drifting in general is hard on the car. You could throw the car in harder during the feint to make the weight transfer more dramatic. I would recommend a better tire with more grip rather than a cold weather tire. It doesn't have to be anything crazy. A simple Federal 595 would probably be enough.

As far as fluids go, if I'm doing events frequently (once a month or so), I change every other event/5k miles (whichever comes first). Engine oil gets changed every 2,500-3k miles. Sometimes I'll change it out the weekend before an event.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
2015firestormFRS (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #795
2015firestormFRS

Awesome, thanks a lot man I really appreciate all the info and advice

Here's a link to one of the runs where I was understeeing so much
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00004024305159

And here's one when I was getting the hang of transitions at the end of the day