follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quality 12V cabling/splitters?

Howdy,

I've been running a dashcam for awhile with the cable hidden in my headliner and A-pillar cover, run through the gap in the door well, and plugged into the hidden 12V outlet inside the glove box. I've since ordered a radar detector as well which I plan to mirror-mount and install a remote mute button into the center console where the empty face is, but I am trying to avoid going through the firewall for anything so I don't want to hardwire power for either. Thus my conundrum, since there's only one hidden 12v outlet.

Does anyone have any recommendations for quality brands / retailers to buy a 12v male to 2x 12v male cable that is individually fused for 15A (so it doesn't blow the vehicle fuse)?

Alternatively, I'm considering just buying some 14AWG DC paired wire and a barrel fuse so I can cut the adapters for both the dashcam and the radar detector to make my own method of plugging everything into one 12V outlet.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Platin...R+SOCKET+fused
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Hard Wire Kit

Have you considered tapping into the power coming up for the dome light with a hard wire kit for both of your devices. I know typical dash cams draw very little though not certain about radar detectors. If your dome bulbs are not OEM LED then converting them to LED frees up some amp draw on that fuse.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
Have you considered tapping into the power coming up for the dome light with a hard wire kit for both of your devices. I know typical dash cams draw very little though not certain about radar detectors. If your dome bulbs are not OEM LED then converting them to LED frees up some amp draw on that fuse.
That's a good idea. I actually figured out that the dome light power is a constant 12V feed but the power on the mirror harness is accessory feed, so I've tapped into the mirror harness to drive both. I checked draw and verified that it has the fuse capacity (2A for the dashcam, 1.4A for the radar detector).

Thanks everyone.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
CraigVM (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #5
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Glad it worked out

Glad it worked out. Hard wiring my dash cam was going to be a project for this weekend but the hard wire kit that showed up yesterday has a mini USB connector vs. the Micro USB my camera takes ... Will teach me to not completely read the details before I click on the "one click purchase" button.
I have an older FRS so hoping to find it has constant power up at the dome also so to use the parking mode function on my cam..
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote