follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #575
remhex

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The instruction manual online with the part numbers of my current springs recommended 20mm. I might reduce it more eventually, but I'm happy for now.
remhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 AM   #576
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remhex View Post
The instruction manual online with the part numbers of my current springs recommended 20mm. I might reduce it more eventually, but I'm happy for now.
Just received my new Ohlins (without springs yet) and except they suggest 4Kgf/mm springs front AND rear, preload is adjusted to 27mm F/R and they mention if you want to use rear 3Kgf/mm springs you should set preload at 38mm!
From "19 on they sell only the shocks/struts and you order separatedly springs and top mounts.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #577
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That makes sense. User is not left with need to pay for springs in set that he won't use. It won't lower overall cost for these not budget coilovers with parts sold separately, but at least it won't make them more expensive due redundant parts in set.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #578
JIM THEO

I have been told if I lower the car 2cm (preset by Ohlins) and set front camber more than -1.5 degrees antiroll bar links hit the chassis, is this true?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #579
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,471 Times in 766 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
I have been told if I lower the car 2cm (preset by Ohlins) and set front camber more than -1.5 degrees antiroll bar links hit the chassis, is this true?
I was lowered to Ohlins old MI20 specs and had -2.8 camber with no end link clearance issues.

I'm not sure what ride height Ohlins currently specifies, sorry.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (01-14-2019), new2subaru (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #580
antmit

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 Neptune
FYI be sure to call Ohlins tech support when in doubt.

I just ordered Ohlins last week and received the SUS MP21 with 5K/5K equal length (same part number actually) springs front and rear. I did not ask for anything special.

This did not match the printed manual supplied in the box which recommended 4K/3K. I called and they said that they can email me the corrected manual or find it on ohlins.com. I thanked them over the phone and printed out the new manual. The new manual that matches 5K/5K has different spring preload settings than the 4K/3K manual (obviously?) so you don't want to end up using the wrong lengths for the wrong springs!! The net result for 5K springs is that the spring length should be 180mm a.k.a spring preload as the manual calls it.

The other thing I'm not clear on, which I'm not sure about since their call center was closed by the time I realized it, is if I received the right spring seats (large washers that go on either end of the spring). The manual says that I should've gotten 4 plastic spring seats and 2 rubber, but I receive 2 plastic and 4 rubber. My guess is that it's correct and that the manual is out of date as any spring binding would be remediated by the other end being free to slip against something plastic.
antmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #581
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Funny you mention this. I was able to get the car up on stands a couple of weeks ago and noticed what looks like a rub mark on the LCA. I've had some slight knocking.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #582
ArCha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmit View Post
The other thing I'm not clear on, which I'm not sure about since their call center was closed by the time I realized it, is if I received the right spring seats (large washers that go on either end of the spring). The manual says that I should've gotten 4 plastic spring seats and 2 rubber, but I receive 2 plastic and 4 rubber. My guess is that it's correct and that the manual is out of date as any spring binding would be remediated by the other end being free to slip against something plastic.

I received the same parts quantity. My dealer said this was normal and that these spacers are new to the latest kit. They mentioned that they typically build the the front assemblies with the 2 of the rubber spring spacers (25601-01) at the top and 2 of the plastic spring spacers (25602-01) at the bottom of the springs. No spacers at the rear.
ArCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #583
antmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArCha View Post
I received the same parts quantity. My dealer said this was normal and that these spacers are new to the latest kit. They mentioned that they typically build the the front assemblies with the 2 of the rubber spring spacers (25601-01) at the top and 2 of the plastic spring spacers (25602-01) at the bottom of the springs. No spacers at the rear.

I’ll call ohlins NA tomorrow to double check. I think you would want spring seats either rubber or plastic at every spring to metal interface. If you don’t put rubber or plastic spring seats on the rear, the bottom of the spring is metal on metal with the spring perch collar which might scratch during adjustments. The top of the rear shock is a big plastic thing that meets with the oem tophat
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 AM   #584
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmit View Post
FYI be sure to call Ohlins tech support when in doubt.

I just ordered Ohlins last week and received the SUS MP21 with 5K/5K equal length (same part number actually) springs front and rear. I did not ask for anything special.

This did not match the printed manual supplied in the box which recommended 4K/3K. I called and they said that they can email me the corrected manual or find it on ohlins.com. I thanked them over the phone and printed out the new manual. The new manual that matches 5K/5K has different spring preload settings than the 4K/3K manual (obviously?) so you don't want to end up using the wrong lengths for the wrong springs!! The net result for 5K springs is that the spring length should be 180mm a.k.a spring preload as the manual calls it.

My manual reffers to 4/3K springs, recommends 4/4K springs and suspension comes preset for 4/4K!
I've got also 4 rubber springs seats for the bottom of each spring, and 2 plastics for the upper of the front springs and yes manual mention it wrong according to my dealer.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #585
antmit

Rear shocks should have rubber spring seats at bottom of spring
The Following User Says Thank You to antmit For This Useful Post:
ArCha (01-17-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #586
JIM THEO

After test driving some kms on our bad roads with 4K/3k springs it's clear that I need harder rear springs, with co-driver and some baggages it hits rear bump stops in some cases.
Ohlins rebound is fantastic though even at softer settings.
The car lowered some 5-8 mm hours after fitting it and more than 1cm back one day after which is weird and I need now again alignment, it was difficult to drive it out of my garage!
So far suspension is smooth almost as factory setup verifying it's name as Road & Track but needs at least 4K rear springs imho.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 AM   #587
JIM THEO

Quick question if someone can calculate it, 3K springs rear need according to my Ohlins manual 38mm preload (4K fronts 27mm), how much preload should I set the 4K springs rear?
By the way 5K need 20mm preload and total rear suspension travel is 60mm plus the bump stops so my guess is about 29-30mm...
Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #588
antmit

Quote:
Quick question if someone can calculate it, 3K springs rear need according to my Ohlins manual 38mm preload (4K fronts 27mm), how much preload should I set the 4K springs rear?
By the way 5K need 20mm preload and total rear suspension travel is 60mm plus the bump stops so my guess is about 29-30mm...

I think you should pick up the phone and call ohlins tech support. They are very nice and know the answers. They will probably even send you the correct manual. Best to talk to the experts . Made my life easier. I love my ohlins, very smooth and compliant. Better daily driver than stock for sure and car turns better