follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #29
FeRS
bruh

Drives: Raven 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
6 front, 8 rear, yeah, that's what I get for 2 hz.

IMO that's a great place to be for a street/track car without aero. As you add significant aero downforce you'll begin to want/need to go stiffer from there....
To be clear, you don't mean running 2hz front and rear right? I'd set the rear a bit softer, like 1.8hz-ish if the front is 2hz. But yeah that's not a terrible place to have a car with no aero, definitely some room to grow with smaller aero bits as well.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #30
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRS View Post
To be clear, you don't mean running 2hz front and rear right? I'd set the rear a bit softer, like 1.8hz-ish if the front is 2hz. But yeah that's not a terrible place to have a car with no aero, definitely some room to grow with smaller aero bits as well.
Might be somewhat down to individual preference, but on such a low-powered car as ours I think you could run softer rear or stiffer rear relative to front. Stiffer rear would alleviate overloading of outside front a bit.
FR cars making bigger power wanna be softer in the rear (ha!) I would think.

I think there's a fairly broad workable range.
I'm at 1.7Hz front 1.6Hz rear on my daily-driver + track BRZ, pretty OK with it as a compromise setup...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
marco_mc22 (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #31
FeRS
bruh

Drives: Raven 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Might be somewhat down to individual preference, but on such a low-powered car as ours I think you could run softer rear or stiffer rear relative to front. Stiffer rear would alleviate overloading of outside front a bit.
FR cars making bigger power wanna be softer in the rear (ha!) I would think.

I think there's a fairly broad workable range.
I'm at 1.7Hz front 1.6Hz rear on my daily-driver + track BRZ, pretty OK with it as a compromise setup...
I've always seen the common method to set the rear a bit softer but the point about overloading makes enough sense to me.

My Flex Zs are 6k squared so a little over 2hz front and 1.85hz rear by my calculation. It's a dual duty as well--mostly street--and works fine, even though the Atlanta roads are hell on my car lol.
ZDan (12-25-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 04:17 AM   #32
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
I should have told you my opinion from the beginning, don't choose coilovers for road use, a good road setup is much better imho!
We have different opinions. This setup is absolutely perfect about damping, you still prefer the stock suspensions. You know that the front of your car rides on bump stoppers, right?
Stock suspensions are bullshit compared to something like Bilstein. Coilovers are much better, and mine is a street coilover.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #33
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
We have different opinions. This setup is absolutely perfect about damping, you still prefer the stock suspensions. You know that the front of your car rides on bump stoppers, right?
Stock suspensions are bullshit compared to something like Bilstein. Coilovers are much better, and mine is a street coilover.
Understood, each one needs are different especially for road use as mine.
Bear in mind I replaced my Ohlins for the tS MY18 suspension and if I'll change again in the future shocks I may try the B6 ones but not coilovers.
They have nothing more to offer me except complexity, reduced suspension travel (our B roads are full of potholes) and increased NVH from the solid top mounts, nor I want to change often settings.
As you know I have the tS complete car setup as I changed everything from it (except VSC ECU which when turned off is the same with mine ).
That's my opinion of course as I believe in the homogeneity a tS car has and the time for R&D factory spent on this.

PS:I don't know what you mean by "the front of my car runs on bump stops", our REARS use often the bump stops as part of the suspension (MX5 and some more cars do the same) not the fronts or at least not more than every other Subaru or other car...except you mean the hydraulic bump stops that many coilovers have.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote