follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #505
xWiCkeDx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not having any a/c in Texas has to be rough though. I live in Houston, and there's no way I can do without it.
Hopefully the can-bus stuff gets sorted out soon, because the rest of it looks great.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #506
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWiCkeDx View Post
Not having any a/c in Texas has to be rough though. I live in Houston, and there's no way I can do without it.
Hopefully the can-bus stuff gets sorted out soon, because the rest of it looks great.
AC can easily be re-done via custom AC lines using the OEM condenser. Only problem there is the time and cost of making the lines. You can use rubber lines but they wont bend around tight turns, need hard lines for those areas. From what I understand they use a canbus translator, so turning on/off the AC compressor should be possible with the OEM controls sending the signal to the GM ECU via canbus. Clutch engagement I guess would be controlled by the GM ECU as well.

Once more people swap, more demand for working AC will be there and I'm sure Vorshlag could consider making something if they don't have plans to do so already.

Last edited by BRZoomTX; 04-21-2016 at 05:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZoomTX For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #507
WRBrzRX

Drives: runs&drives
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
hate to be crude but the anticipation for this kit makes me kind of hard

in the penis in particular, not to be rude or anything
Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #508
strmshadow84

Drives: 14 Cayman S, 16 Camaro 2SS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
AC can easily be re-done via custom AC lines using the OEM condenser. Only problem there is the time and cost of making the lines. You can use rubber lines but they wont bend around tight turns, need hard lines for those areas.

Once more people swap, more demand for working AC will be there and I'm sure Vorshlag could consider making something if they don't have plans to do so already.
There's more to getting working AC then just lines, if your gonna use the OEM condenser (prbly a bad idea, the rx7 ls swaps had a few of them burn out) you still need to use the ecu to control when the clutch engages. More than likely it will be using the chevy condenser which still needs to talk to the gm ecu (you could pbly do it the same the rx7 guys do).
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #509
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWiCkeDx View Post
I have a condensor and it's wired.....just don't have the hoses.....the A/C on the toyburu side is all can-bus controlled.....I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.....Being intentionally a track orientated car a cool shirt was my eventual outcome for the heat of Texas......oops sorry ment A/C compressor.

Last edited by cf6mech; 04-22-2016 at 10:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
strmshadow84 (04-22-2016), wparsons (04-22-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:58 AM   #510
SleepingPanda

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hyper.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmshadow84 View Post
There's more to getting working AC then just lines, if your gonna use the OEM condenser (prbly a bad idea, the rx7 ls swaps had a few of them burn out) you still need to use the ecu to control when the clutch engages. More than likely it will be using the chevy condenser which still needs to talk to the gm ecu (you could pbly do it the same the rx7 guys do).
I think you're confusing what a condenser is and what a compressor is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SleepingPanda For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (05-05-2016), strmshadow84 (04-25-2016), Summerwolf (05-11-2016), wparsons (04-25-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #511
npavlo

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I avoid ANYTHING that isn't willing to have a price posted up front.. I'll stick with the DIY arduino when I do a swap that requires canbus functionality...

Jaden
Jaden,

Sorry for this late reply. I only have time to pop onto forums occasionally.

This is very common for ECU manufacturers to not post prices. Can you find the price online for a Mclaren ECU directly? Life Racing? Bosch Motorsport?

One answer to why this is is because these ECUs are distributed internationally the pricing can vary due to exchange rates. There are also varying shipping charges. By not posting prices, it eliminates people from price shopping dealers for the cheapest price.

If you are really serious about engine control solutions, then feel free to contact a dealer directly and we can help you. These are not simple plug in solutions, so one quote is never the same anyways.

I will say that generally if shopping for the cheapest solution, rarely is that the best (or even good) solution. The Emtron ECU system is very comprehensive configuration wise. Some CAN integration is just a small taste of what this ECU can do.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #512
laextreme5

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Subbed for updates on the kit. Hopefully its still in the works
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #513
WRBrzRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by npavlo View Post
This is very common for ECU manufacturers.. By not posting prices, it eliminates people from price shopping dealers for the cheapest price.
With the rest of the fluff cut out you see how this is shitty business practice for the customer and drives potential buyers to frustration and alternate solutions.

You have to imagine dozens of potential engine swaps went FI instead due to the inconveniences. All it's going to take is one innovative product that is transparent to capture market share that was left on the table by control freaks that couldn't properly capitalize on a secured market.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #514
npavlo

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBrzRX View Post
With the rest of the fluff cut out you see how this is shitty business practice for the customer and drives potential buyers to frustration and alternate solutions.

You have to imagine dozens of potential engine swaps went FI instead due to the inconveniences. All it's going to take is one innovative product that is transparent to capture market share that was left on the table by control freaks that couldn't properly capitalize on a secured market.
You are failing to understand that it is impossible to give you an overall estimate for an EFI installation like this. There are 5 different ECUs that can be used on the GT86 application from Emtron. How about $3000-25000? This is not something like installing an air intake onto a car. Someday if a "package" is developed, that may be different. Maybe then you will be satisfied.

Think about this. What are you going to do with an ECU without connectors, sensors, cables, wiring, etc? You can easily double the cost when you factor in all of this plus options for your specific application. If you are looking for prices just to compare to something cheaper, then good luck. That is not our customer base. The Emtron is a motorsport level ECU system. Not an entry level system.

People that are serious about EFI solutions buy ECUs from us because they are smart enough to get in touch with us directly so we can guide them to the proper solution. Just like Slicktop has with his car.

If anybody (including you) are interested in having a discussion about EFI solutions for your GT86, please get in touch with Ross from Trust Automotive (who installed an Emtron ECU in Slicktops car), or me directly. I personally would be happy to have a conversation about YOUR specific project, and be happy to quote you the complete costs. It is actually a very good service that makes customers much LESS paranoid about it after talking to someone with the competency to fully understand what needs to be done. I don't call that inconvenient at all. Quite the opposite actually. I think the inconvenience comes from few systems being capable of doing what needs to be done, until now.

Currently the Emtron product can support basically any port injected engine on the market. If it sounds like it can be used for your swap project, let us know.
The Following User Says Thank You to npavlo For This Useful Post:
BBDGriptonia (05-23-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #515
kcam86

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You are failing to understand that it is impossible to give you an overall estimate for an EFI installation like this. There are 5 different ECUs that can be used on the GT86 application from Emtron. How about $3000-25000? This is not something like installing an air intake onto a car. Someday if a "package" is developed, that may be different. Maybe then you will be satisfied.

Think about this. What are you going to do with an ECU without connectors, sensors, cables, wiring, etc? You can easily double the cost when you factor in all of this plus options for your specific application. If you are looking for prices just to compare to something cheaper, then good luck. That is not our customer base. The Emtron is a motorsport level ECU system. Not an entry level system.

People that are serious about EFI solutions buy ECUs from us because they are smart enough to get in touch with us directly so we can guide them to the proper solution. Just like Slicktop has with his car.

If anybody (including you) are interested in having a discussion about EFI solutions for your GT86, please get in touch with Ross from Trust Automotive (who installed an Emtron ECU in Slicktops car), or me directly. I personally would be happy to have a conversation about YOUR specific project, and be happy to quote you the complete costs. It is actually a very good service that makes customers much LESS paranoid about it after talking to someone with the competency to fully understand what needs to be done. I don't call that inconvenient at all. Quite the opposite actually. I think the inconvenience comes from few systems being capable of doing what needs to be done, until now.

Currently the Emtron product can support basically any port injected engine on the market. If it sounds like it can be used for your swap project, let us know.
First off I've been drooling over slick tops build. I've got to ask the question are you guys considering anytime in the near future a harness /ecu solution for let's say a generic 2jz swap then having the ability to have a menu selections for customizactions? The hardest thing I've seen thus far is finding a reputable harness and ecu solution. It appears custom from build to build.as it stands it's easy to get the hardware to fit just the software is the hiccup
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #516
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:

Realistically, I think you are representing a different market space than what @WRBrzRX is coming from. You're talking about a fully integrated motorsport level ecu. To my understanding, he's just looking for a way to interrupt canbus signals from one ecu and resend the corresponding signals to the other ECU, allowing the stock FA20 systems and say an LS ecu to play well together.

The product you're affiliated with is for those that have needs that go beyond a stock ecu.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #517
WRBrzRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Realistically, I think you are representing a different market space than what @WRBrzRX is coming from. You're talking about a fully integrated motorsport level ecu. To my understanding, he's just looking for a way to interrupt canbus signals from one ecu and resend the corresponding signals to the other ECU, allowing the stock FA20 systems and say an LS ecu to play well together.

The product you're affiliated with is for those that have needs that go beyond a stock ecu.
That's accurate enough. The whole space is opaque and expensive which leads to FI at the entry level. Yet all these LS blocks (etc) rot away. I'm not upset with any current solution so much as the lack of an entry level usurper.
The Following User Says Thank You to WRBrzRX For This Useful Post:
Calum (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #518
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBrzRX View Post
That's accurate enough. The whole space is opaque and expensive which leads to FI at the entry level. Yet all these LS blocks (etc) rot away. I'm not upset with any current solution so much as the lack of an entry level usurper.

Agreed.

Closed Thread