follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #15
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
+1 If I walk my property with my phone I can see the house number change between 101 and 119. My house number is 103 and my closest neighbor is 121. The original plans for my house have the address as 107 and the builder moved the house on the lot so my front door is at 103. That's close enough for me.
I moved to a new development three years ago. I went from having to use a ‘home’ address about a quarter mile away to an address that is two doors away at best. At my old address it was always the house next door. The fault lies with the map database not in alignment with actual geo-locations. I have a dedicated hand held GPS receiver that has proven itself to be accurate enough to point a LASER to. When I compare my GPS receiver coordinates to my iPhone 11, the iPhone is surprisingly accurate, enough to locate me in a room where if an assassin were stalking me, they’d know which window to shoot through. If you are familiar with ‘What3words’, they have divided the Earth into squares three meters on a side and each square has three words that are assigned to it. There is a red Subaru parked at “send.milk.events”. When I use the app, it puts me right in the exact square. Sometimes you have to give it a few moments to dial in your exact spot. Mercedes-Benz has integrated this into their infotainment systems and maybe this is one of the reasons my neighbor across the street ditched her new MB for a Subaru Crosstrek. Really, she did. That being said, I would be curious to see if Apple CarPlay or Android Auto would enable W3W. A couple of times I used W3W for a friend to locate me on the Oregon coast where map coordinates are the only alternative. It works.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (04-15-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 07:34 PM   #16
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
Pinpoint accuracy is not sabotaged. With a good GPS unit, you can be within a few centimeters so long as you have a clear shot to three or four satellites. However, typical accuracy with a smartphone is about 16 ft. Civilian blocking was lifted years ago, but that could change in a minute.
That's also assuming no lag on the phone. I've seen more than a few times where my phone's GPS suddenly leapt from one place to another.

https://medium.com/@importanttech/we...s-b9ec35873e2e

You can get really good accuracy with "civilian GPS" but that's not the same thing as smartphone GPS. And a smartphone is the simplest way to connect the kind of functionality we're talking about to the car. You could build something from other hardware, but that's a significantly larger technical lift.

I think that it's entirely possible to create an automatic GPS-enabled lap timer app for a smartphone and run it through the head unit on our cars, but I don't think it would be "accurate enough" for a fair amount of people.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #17
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Most people are not aware of the limitations of technology. You hear stories of people trekking of into the wilderness with only a phone. Under the tree canopy of the Redwoods in California you are not going to get a signal. When I come across a benchmark, I will set my GPS receiver and wait for it to zero in. I don’t know if I am amazed how accurate the GPS is or how accurate that old benchmark in the middle of nowhere is. My company truck had a GPS system and it would relay my location and other monitored data to the company. It was supposed to enhance efficiency for dispatching and routing, but it was only used to track and harass employees. I built a ‘Cloaking Device’ that looked like a hockey puck and when dropped over the GPS antenna on the roof, it blocked signals from the satellites so I was invisible. A hole in the cover allowed the cell antenna to poke through. From a distance the cover was visually undetectable. The company set up off limits geolocations and an alarm would be sent to your supervisor. It was easy to hack the system to change various parameters to suit our purposes. Once I got a call once from my boss asking me why I was driving 80 mph in the next state 300 miles away. OMG! It just occurred to me that my BRZ and my Ascent has a similar system independent of my cell phone GPS.
Myriad (05-09-2022), soundman98 (04-17-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #18
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
At 100mph that's about 0.11s accuracy on your lap time. Which isn't terrible, but it's also not accurate.
That sounds much more precise than what I can do by pressing a button, and eliminates the possibility that I will forget to press the button.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #19
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
I think that it's entirely possible to create an automatic GPS-enabled lap timer app for a smartphone and run it through the head unit on our cars, but I don't think it would be "accurate enough" for a fair amount of people.
Look at my head unit in this video. The video is from July 2020.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
timurrrr

Looks like v122-080 is starting to become available on 2022 BRZs, I'd expect GR86s to follow shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Apparently there is an infotainment upgrade. When I check with the car connected to WiFi, it says no updates are available.

My car is still on 091-781.

See the attached PDF for more info.

Anybody able to grab the update over WiFi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I checked and the "System information" menu shows that my 2022 GR86 has software version ...101-880.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #21
timurrrr

The document on that post has some interesting stuff:
  • Dealership Mode Menu
  • Timeline of the updates
  • "Symptoms Addressed By Update #1:" -> #4 -> "Intermittent loss of Bluetooth connection"
Old 09-09-2022, 02:33 AM   #22
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
ill be taking my car to subaru for service this week and will mention the update to the service advisor to see how it goes.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
dragoontwo (09-09-2022), H380 (09-11-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #23
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
update to my experience trying to get this update:

took my car into a trusted(or so i thought?) dealer today for an oil change and the radio update.

they managed to mess up both somehow.. but since this thread pertains to the update:

the tech claimed there were no updates available for my radio(which is a lie according to that TSB)

I was in a bit of a hurry but i emailed the TSB file to my service advisor and he asked me to come back in to fix the mistake and offered fuel as compensation for the drive there and back. likely wont go back for a while as it's a bit of a drive and i dont want to sit in LA traffic twice...

i also have a friend who works there and is going to try to get my the file so i can update it myself.

should the file work, ill make a new thread with a link to download the file and a DIY since the TSB instructions get a bit fuzzy and unclear at times
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote