follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #15
Robcokiwi

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Even though it is embarrassing I should give an update in case it helps someone else out in the future. So the key to my problem was - the key. I had tried to avoid the extra work of changing out the whole ignition lock cylinder and door locks and use the original key but change out the key fob. Well it doesn't work that way. The key itself contains a tiny chip - you can see it inside once you remove the fob. So you have to do the job properly and install the ignition lock which uses the key paired with the ECU and cluster gauge or the security system will lock you out. Changing the door locks is really easy if you watch how to do it first. The ignition lock is fiddly but necessary.
And as for the top of the line technician at the Toyota dealership who told me if you mix the components you will be permanently locked out and have to replace all of them - what a twit! As long as you get the originals all paired back together, no problems.
Robcokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robcokiwi For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-29-2020), p1l0t (12-29-2020)

Tags
ecm, module, security, technical