follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #673
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
Skip to 13:40

Ahhhh thanks. I didn't even notice the videos. So pretty much standard placement for a powered hard top convert but just sits above the engine instead of in the trunk. The use of electric motors instead of hydraulics is a nice touch.
Dadhawk (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #674
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, the convertible to me looks better than the coupe, but... I just can't love it. I've tried. The whole thing looks cheap and cartoonish, front to rear. Nothing graceful about it. Shame.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #675
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Wait, MORE commonly?

A "normal" manual is just slow. Painfully slow.

Nannies are a totally different thing...
I used “commonly” inappropriately because of a mental error. I know, it made it confusing. I was speaking about drivers in general, but then I was thinking about racers like guys at the track wanting to win regardless of how and people who want to just enjoy racing and besting themselves; if they happen to win then cool. I hope that clarifies those sentences because I think we could agree that most people who race are out to win—they are racing others more than racing themselves.

Autos are faster, but a manual is still less than a half second. I wouldn’t really call it painfully slow unless you need help with your technique.

True, nannies are a different thing, but the sentiment is the same, which is what I was trying to communicate with the quote instead of just describing my opinion. That doesn’t mean the sentiment is universal, which is why I said it can apply. The point was your sentiment about not wanting nannies is the same sentiment others have about not wanting the automatic nanny. Watch the latest Fastest Car on Netflix where this mentality is pervasive.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #676
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Well, the convertible to me looks better than the coupe, but... I just can't love it. I've tried. The whole thing looks cheap and cartoonish, front to rear. Nothing graceful about it. Shame.
It is hard to get past American styling for me too.

But this hardtop convertible should sell a lot.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #677
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
I can appreciate that. My inner racerboy wants one soooo bad.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (10-05-2019), Summerwolf (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #678
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It is hard to get past American styling for me too.

But this hardtop convertible should sell a lot.

Yeah no doubt it will sell like crazy. I'm sure it's an amazing car, and huge value, like every modern Corvette before it. Aesthetics are a very personal thing, I'm sure there are lots of people that like the Civic Type R, and this is a beauty queen compared to that. I'm just picky and am set in my ways Really the proportions of the car are excellent, just smooth out some of the creases, tighten up those air ducts, narrow those wheel gaps, and refine the tail lights, nothing huge, and I think it would transform the looks.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-03-2019), Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #679
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Autos are faster, but a manual is still less than a half second. I wouldn’t really call it painfully slow unless you need help with your technique.
I tell you ~0.5 seconds shifts many times per lap in my 6-speed Cayman *was* painfully slow after driving my student's PDK. No amount of "technique" will make up for it, it's just lost time. Another benefit is you can shift just about anywhere, whereas with the manual you sometimes have to short-shift to avoid an upshift at a critical point in a corner where you don't want to upset the car.

Quote:
True, nannies are a different thing, but the sentiment is the same, which is what I was trying to communicate with the quote instead of just describing my opinion. That doesn’t mean the sentiment is universal, which is why I said it can apply. The point was your sentiment about not wanting nannies is the same sentiment others have about not wanting the automatic nanny. Watch the latest Fastest Car on Netflix where this mentality is pervasive.
I don't have Netflix. But I know what I like. I've known that paddleshifted semi-autos were the way to go since they were introduced in the 1989 Ferrari F1 car! It took a long time but now they are available for us mere mortals.

But of course if there were a mechanism that required you to solve a rubik's cube on top of the gear lever for every shift that had been around forever, and someone eliminated it, some folks would be bent out of shape because now it's "too easy" to shift! All I can say is I don't like "nannies", but I loved the PDK. WAY more than I expected to.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2019), Lightened (10-05-2019), mrg666 (10-05-2019), Tcoat (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #680
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I tell you ~0.5 seconds shifts many times per lap in my 6-speed Cayman *was* painfully slow after driving my student's PDK. No amount of "technique" will make up for it, it's just lost time.

All I can say is I don't like "nannies", but I loved the PDK. WAY more than I expected to.
I will need to try more modern PDKs, but the ones I’ve tried (Ferrari F430) and others, they felt clumsy and intrusive. I was the clumsy one, obviously unfamiliar with the paddle shifters and just yearning for a dam stick, but I believe there always will be a disconnect, similar to electronic steering and ride by wire. I appreciate modern technologies, as long as they don’t interfere with tactile feedback, and they don’t substitute my connection with the car, or then it begins just feeling like a video game.

I was thinking, would I want a PDK for the track if I could still have a manual transmission for the canyons and for a daily. Perhaps, if my intuition with the PDK matched my abilities with a manual, and I was hellbent on winning then perhaps.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #681
ZDan

Quote:
I will need to try more modern PDKs, but the ones I’ve tried (Ferrari F430) and others, they felt clumsy and intrusive. I was the clumsy one, obviously unfamiliar with the paddle shifters and just yearning for a dam stick,
I think if you try a modern Porsche PDK, you won't find it "clumsy" or intrusive.

Quote:
I was thinking, would I want a PDK for the track if I could still have a manual transmission for the canyons and for a daily. Perhaps, if my intuition with the PDK matched my abilities with a manual, and I was hellbent on winning then perhaps.
I should say I've *only* driven one at the track, I don't know how much I'd like it for "normal" street driving!

But for sure if I get another Porsche, it will have PDK, even if I don't like it as much on the street, it's *that* much better at the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #682
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think if you try a modern Porsche PDK, you won't find it "clumsy" or intrusive.
The gear changes are unbelievably smooth, but I find the gearbox a bit unresponsive to the paddle/button (too much latency)...I like leaving the 981 in D and using my foot to control it, which usually works fine. When the gearbox is cold it doesn't like shifting as much so I coax it a bit with the buttons but it's kind of annoying.

Maybe the latest Porsche iteration is a little better though.

I can definitely see the McLaren paddles being fun to operate based on the video reviews, those shifts seem like there's zero latency.

If you get a PDK, would you just leave it in auto at the track? It can shift mid-corner just fine I think.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #683
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The gear changes are unbelievably smooth, but I find the gearbox a bit unresponsive to the paddle/button (too much latency)...I like leaving the 981 in D and using my foot to control it, which usually works fine. When the gearbox is cold it doesn't like shifting as much so I coax it a bit with the buttons but it's kind of annoying.
I only drove it fully warmed up. Honestly I didn't notice much delay, and the quickness and smoothness of full-throttle upshifts (and downshifts) really impressed me.

Quote:
If you get a PDK, would you just leave it in auto at the track? It can shift mid-corner just fine I think.
I dunno, I think I'd like to shift it myself. I was surprised that it would downshift automatically in (I think) the most sport/track mode. Which was fine given that I was learning the car but ultimately I think I'd prefer it to leave the up/downshift decisions to ME. SUrely there's a mode where it won't do uncommanded shifts?
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #684
TunaNoCrust

Drives: 86, 981S, RX8, 2500HD, GenesisV8
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was entirely blown away at the speed and smoothness of the PDK shifting. I test drove the car in December and had zero issues involving delay or lethargic shifting, but then again we let the car properly warm up, which should always be done.

On the track I absolutely preferred to be in manual mode, as there are particular points I want to shift up or down to set me up for the next corner. In manual sport it should not shift unless you push/pull a paddle.

For example, Thompson turn 2 I would shift 2->3 mid corner, 100% throttle never lifting, and the car did not flinch the slightest degree, it was unbelievably impressive. Even better I would just roll my wrist to upshift not having to change my grip on the steering wheel.
TunaNoCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TunaNoCrust For This Useful Post:
ZDan (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #685
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I only drove it fully warmed up. Honestly I didn't notice much delay, and the quickness and smoothness of full-throttle upshifts (and downshifts) really impressed me.

I dunno, I think I'd like to shift it myself. I was surprised that it would downshift automatically in (I think) the most sport/track mode. Which was fine given that I was learning the car but ultimately I think I'd prefer it to leave the up/downshift decisions to ME. SUrely there's a mode where it won't do uncommanded shifts?
The shift itself is pretty much instant but it doesn't have the "pre-cog" thing McLaren has which has a second sensor in the paddle so it'll have the next gear engaged and engages the clutch when you fully pull on it, making for a latency-free experience. In Sport mode it reduces the latency a little, but it's still there and it bothers me.

It downshifts by itself even in normal mode, but in sport it'll downshift aggressively keeping your revs high. Putting it in "M" will prevent any auto-shifts except if you press the pedal to the floor and engage the switch, which shifts it to the lowest possible gear, or if you slow down enough so that it needs to downshift to avoid stalling.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #686
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is easily one of the best looking cars made within the last decade or so.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (10-05-2019), mrg666 (10-05-2019)