follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Id expect Toyota to keep the similar body lines, so what you see in both the FT86 and FT86II in terms of body structure of pillar placement you will see in the production model.

The aero package that the production model will come with is the issue that looms over all consumers interested in the car. Is it worth the extra $$$ to have various vents and flaps regardless if they are functional or not? Its subjective.

In my opinion, and judging by how Toyota is handling business today. They will give us a more subtle production model 86, more similar to the II but less aggressive in engineered aero.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #30
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bone View Post
I find it funny how many people dislike concept II. I liked the first one alot no doubt and still do but I also really like 2, it looks so agressive and intimidating and I kinda like the LED's though if they weren't there I wouldn't cry about it.
I like it but those LEDs and rear spoiler should be removed, also rear bumper need to be fixed
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
The aero package that the production model will come with is the issue that looms over all consumers interested in the car. Is it worth the extra $$$ to have various vents and flaps regardless if they are functional or not? Its subjective.
It depends on the level of function you are referring to.

If the vent has air flow, I consider that functional. Even if the vent doesn't serve any significant purpose such as cooling or air intake, as long as the air flows (and doesn't slow the car). This is important as the Mustang in contrast has fake hood scoops that just have plastic filling. This bothers the crap out of me.

The Celica, in contrast, has a hood scoop that directs air to the exhaust manifold and cools the firewall. It's not super-functional, but it has air flow and it works.

However the Tsunami Edition Celica's took on the Mustang-way with fake plastic vents that provided no air flow at all. These were on the front bumper, sideskirts, and rear valence. Again, this annoys me as it's just solid plastic meant to imitate a vent.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #32
Garage1217

Drives: 93 mr2 turbo, 00 avalon, 08 xD
Guys, I know we all hate the spoiler and leds, however spoilers are normally factory options, not usually standard. For the leds, take them in to a paint shop and have them smoked over and the led look is gone.
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
Mustang in contrast has fake hood scoops that just have plastic filling. This bothers the crap out of me.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage1217 View Post
Guys, I know we all hate the spoiler and leds, however spoilers are normally factory options, not usually standard. For the leds, take them in to a paint shop and have them smoked over and the led look is gone.
Thats a good idea. Smoke film (or tint you put on windows) would work too so if you want it removed it doesn't destroy your bumper, thats how I prefer to do tail lights and stuff if its pratical. If the light has tons of curves and stuff its easier to nightshade
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #34
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage1217 View Post
While I agree on the spoiler thing, I think the idea with the car is to have it require as little modification out of the factory as possible.

As you mentioned, options are nice. I'd love to see the LED strip as on option.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
bls

Drives: 1999 toyota celcia
when will we have a us production??? thanks
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #36
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryun84 View Post
^ ROFL!

What part of "concept" do people have a hard time understanding? Especially if Toyota sticks to their plans of this being an affordable car, there is no way that many of the "glitz" features of the concept II will remain in the production model. I understand the need to vent frustration with certain details (or lack thereof) at times, but why not be a little patient before axing a model that isn't even out yet?
I guess you skipped where I typed the word if.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #37
Chokonen888

Drives: Seibu Shinjuku Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
i wonder how jaromir czech feels about this whole thing.
They didn't show the interior
Chokonen888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #38
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It depends on the level of function you are referring to.

If the vent has air flow, I consider that functional. Even if the vent doesn't serve any significant purpose such as cooling or air intake, as long as the air flows (and doesn't slow the car). This is important as the Mustang in contrast has fake hood scoops that just have plastic filling. This bothers the crap out of me.

The Celica, in contrast, has a hood scoop that directs air to the exhaust manifold and cools the firewall. It's not super-functional, but it has air flow and it works.

However the Tsunami Edition Celica's took on the Mustang-way with fake plastic vents that provided no air flow at all. These were on the front bumper, sideskirts, and rear valence. Again, this annoys me as it's just solid plastic meant to imitate a vent.
VERY TRUE.. FAKE VENTS = TURDS & Usually higher engine bay temps due to thicker bonnets(plastic, fiberglass etc)
Our own Australian VE commodore has a fake reverse scoop as an $1800 additional option.. Made of fibre glass and totally for looks...

However, if its possible to machine the bonnet to allow the vents to be useful im totally keen for that.. With the VE u can but alot of strengthing needs to be done to avoid bonnet flex and worst case scenario coming off at high speed.....

I almost got one for my ute but to chunky, to expensive, non functional, and a bit of work to make work.. LOL

Last edited by FT-86GOD; 03-17-2011 at 01:17 AM.
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #39
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
anyone else notice the mesh between the LEDs and headlights... brake cooling ducts???

EDIT: at 31-32 seconds in the video.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #40
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Looking at that video, the FT-86 II is starting to grow on me.
I like the idea of tinting the leds since they stick out like a sore thumb.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #41
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I like that guy, he's cool.

I want to hear his explanation for the front LED strips though...
That must be the "J-factor"

Cool vid, but all we learned is that, in theory, all the spoilers are functional rather than just for show.

I'll buy that for now
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #42
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Cool vid, but all we learned is that, in theory, all the spoilers are functional rather than just for show.

I'll buy that for now
I would expect most of the vents/spoilers to be functional rather than for show as they said the "aerodynamics developed from F1 technology".
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote