follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2020, 01:27 AM   #99
Jmk91

Drives: 2017 Brz Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you going to open up the line of your other wheels to the brz?! I’d be in heaven you have some sweet looking wheels on other platforms!
Jmk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmk91 For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #100
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX Race Parts View Post
We've got a number of new 5x100 fitments in the works including the 17x9.5" wheels being discussed in this thread, and our engineers and production team are working hard behind the scenes to bring these to fruition. We know many have been patiently waiting for the release, and while I don't have a hard ETA at the moment, the idea is to get them into customers hands this season.

We'll update the community soon

Absolutely! Providing quality and affordable wheel solutions for enthusiast communities has been a focal point for us for over 12 years now. Forums like this give us a unique ability to understand the needs of a diverse audience, and aside from chatting to fellow track junkies in the paddock at the race track, forums are still one of the best ways for us to stay in direct contact with our customers.

A gold finish will definitely be an option in the future. We've been reviewing samples/swatches internally to hone in on the right tone.

- Ryan
I need tires this year, might as well buy my second set of Apex wheels. Looking forward to seeing the new models. I'm hoping for SM10
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (01-31-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #101
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Agreed, the 17x9.5" wheels are being designed with hardcore track enthusiasts and racers in mind. Brake clearance, as well as front strut clearance, will be paramount and the offset will likely be somewhere between ET38 & ET40. We test inner strut clearance with various race compounds, suspensions, and camber settings, as not all are created equal.

Customers purchasing the 17x9.5" wheel will be running 255/40-17's, or a 245/40-17 race compound that runs wide where they would benefit from the added sidewall support. Aftermarket suspension (slimmer in design) and negative camber is par for the course.

- Ryan
Any updates on the new offerings for the brz/86?
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #102
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Launch-Year Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
CALLING ALL BRZ PERFORMANCE PACKAGE OWNERS IN THE BOSTON, MA AREA

In an effort to expand our wheel offering, we are actively looking for a BRZ Performance Package model with the stock Brembo brakes and Sachs struts still in place to conduct 3D scanning. If you or a fellow enthusiast you know is available, please contact us by PM, email or phone. Scanning can be done at your convenience, Monday - Sunday, and can also be done at your location. I know many of you have stored the car for the winter, so we want to make this as convenient as possible for the owner.

This is a vital step to ensure our new flow formed and fully forged fitments and designs for this community are optimized for this chassis, and we greatly appreciate the support from the community in bringing this to market.

Phone: 925.245.0773 | experts@apexwheels.com | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Blog
APEX Race Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (02-14-2020), wparsons (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #103
tehShirt

Garage
Quote:

In an effort to expand our wheel offering, we are actively looking for a BRZ Performance Package model with the stock Brembo brakes and Sachs struts still in place to conduct 3D scanning. If you or a fellow enthusiast you know is available, please contact us by PM, email or phone. Scanning can be done at your convenience, Monday - Sunday, and can also be done at your location. I know many of you have stored the car for the winter, so we want to make this as convenient as possible for the owner.

This is a vital step to ensure our new flow formed and fully forged fitments and designs for this community are optimized for this chassis, and we greatly appreciate the support from the community in bringing this to market.
I don't know if it's too late in your development process, but for 17x9 fitments there be different offsets? The ARC-8 17x9 et42 is very close to the stock front struts when using 245/40/17 Continental tires.

In my case, camber plates were necessary to get any negative camber up front on RCE yellow springs.
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #104
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Launch-Year Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I don't know if it's too late in your development process, but for 17x9 fitments there be different offsets? The ARC-8 17x9 et42 is very close to the stock front struts when using 245/40/17 Continental tires.

In my case, camber plates were necessary to get any negative camber up front on RCE yellow springs.
It sounds like you'll appreciate one of our new fitments

8" and 8.5" wide wheels are slim enough where inner and outer clearances are a non-issue as long as the wheel manufacturer chooses the appropriate offset. We do 3D scanning and on-car testing with various track/race compounds to ensure we offer the most optimum offset.

When it comes to 9" (and wider) wide wheels, the "perfect" offset really comes down to how your car is setup - suspension type, how you plan to dial in negative camber (bolts vs. plates), how much negative camber you would like to run, tire size and tire brand since not all are created equal. This means that enthusiast "A" with a more compliant suspension (aftermarket coilovers or non-Sachs struts) may appreciate a higher offset like 9" ET42 where no/less negative camber is required to clear the outer fenders, while enthusiast "B" with Sachs struts may appreciate a lower offset like 9" ET35 so they dont have to run spacers on the fornt.

The same can be said about enthusiast "C" using camber plates to dial in negative camber, vs. enthusiast "D" who will use camber bolts (which compromises inner strut clearance).

For these reasons, we will have multiple 9" fitments (offsets) to satisfy the needs of all enthusiasts.

- Ryan

Phone: 925.245.0773 | experts@apexwheels.com | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Blog

Last edited by APEX Race Parts; 02-14-2020 at 06:20 PM.
APEX Race Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
tehShirt (02-17-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #105
RotARy15

Drives: 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1, 2020 BRZ PP
Quote:
It sounds like you'll appreciate one of our new fitments

8" and 8.5" wide wheels are slim enough where inner and outer clearances are a non-issue as long as the wheel manufacturer chooses the appropriate offset. We do 3D scanning and on-car testing with various track/race compounds to ensure we offer the most optimum offset.

When it comes to 9" (and wider) wide wheels, the "perfect" offset really comes down to how your car is setup - suspension type, how you plan to dial in negative camber (bolts vs. plates), how much negative camber you would like to run, tire size and tire brand since not all are created equal. This means that enthusiast "A" with a more compliant suspension (aftermarket coilovers or non-Sachs struts) may appreciate a higher offset like 9" ET42 where no/less negative camber is required to clear the outer fenders, while enthusiast "B" with Sachs struts may appreciate a lower offset like 9" ET35 so they dont have to run spacers on the fornt.

The same can be said about enthusiast "C" using camber plates to dial in negative camber, vs. enthusiast "D" who will use camber bolts (which compromises inner strut clearance).

For these reasons, we will have multiple 9" fitments (offsets) to satisfy the needs of all enthusiasts.

- Ryan

Well, now I am getting slightly concerned. I just got in on that group buy for the 17x9 et42 on the understanding that they fit PP with Sachs. Don't they?

Or is it just a camber bolts vs plates issue? I planned on plates but don't have them yet. Although I expect they will be in by the time the group buy wheels are delivered...

Last edited by RotARy15; 02-14-2020 at 08:16 PM.
RotARy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #106
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@APEX Race Parts: if you do that 3d scanning to ensure your wheel clearance .. may i ask for two things that imho twins owners community may greatly benefit from?
- can you also scan non-PP stock brakes?
- can you release brake clearance fitment templates for both stock PP and for generic stock brakes?
Most aftermarket brake vendors provide downloadable brake templates for their BBKs .. unfortunatly no such for stock brakes though even they are more numerous and their owners also would benefit from easier/quicker wheel check way (eg. with stock brakes if one wishes to check some R15 for winter use clearance).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #107
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
@APEX Race Parts This is awesome. What sizes and wheel models are you testing for? I’ve always loved the rest of your lineup. When can we expect them to be released?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #108
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,460 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Can't wait to see new wheel desgins. You guys have won my business next wheel purchase.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #109
tehShirt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotARy15 View Post
Well, now I am getting slightly concerned. I just got in on that group buy for the 17x9 et42 on the understanding that they fit PP with Sachs. Don't they?

Or is it just a camber bolts vs plates issue? I planned on plates but don't have them yet. Although I expect they will be in by the time the group buy wheels are delivered...
In the case of my tires, DWS06 in 245/40/17, I had to keep the front camber at 0 to allow 5mm of clearance between the tire and spring/perch. I tried camber bolts and could only reach -0.3 degree, and that left barely 3mm of clearance, so camber plates were necessary. If you have camber plates, the whole assembly moves so it’s not an issue.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #110
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Can't wait to see new wheel desgins. You guys have won my business next wheel purchase.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Me too. Really eyeing the FL-5 or maybe the EC-7s. Got new tires on stockers last month so I’m good for a bit while they design the new ones. Excited
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #111
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,301 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

In an effort to expand our wheel offering, we are actively looking for a BRZ Performance Package model with the stock Brembo brakes and Sachs struts still in place to conduct 3D scanning.
I wonder if you should also scan the same setup but with camber bolts giving something around -1.5...-2° in the front, as this seems to be a popular mod among drivers who want negative camber in the front but not ready to spend significant money on coilovers.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #112
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,301 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotARy15 View Post
One more data point: on stock suspension height your car will look like a monster truck on these wheels. You'll most likely want to lower the car, at which point might as well get some reasonably priced coilovers. At least this is what I ended up doing, although I picked wheels from a different manufacturer.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote