follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ86_ View Post
Hi new here, well kind of just my first post. And I'm looking to do the first mods to my 14' WRB BRZ. Going for either power and/or suspension just need some suggestions! HELP PLEASE!

From the DFW area
ECUTEK, Flex Fuel and E85.

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
BRZ86_

Drives: 2014 WR Blue Subaru BRZ Limited
THANK YOU EVERYONE! You guys have given me a lot of help. I am really looking in to getting the OFT probably within the week, and coilovers the week after or so, I just dont know which ones yet currently looking at TEIN Mono Sport Damper and BC's. Any opinions on either?

Intake and Exhaust in the near future. Still in the process of deciding haha
BRZ86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Maximal

Drives: Dodge Stealth
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What's your goal for the car? It really depends on what you're doing with it as far as mods go.
Maximal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
BRZ86_

Just saw the E85 tune hmmmm going to look into everyones input. I really want to do suspension work but wouldn't mind gaining a little power either. But STILL everyone keep giving your suggestions. Their greatly appreciated!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
May I suggest while your waiting for your OFT etc., order a set of Rexspeed wide angle mirrors to eliminate your blind spots to keep you and your new ride safe.
leoh007 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
BRZ86_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
What's your goal for the car? It really depends on what you're doing with it as far as mods go.
-The end goal is around 300-350 hp
-trackable BUT still can be a daily
-coils (air later but not in near future) I care more on the comfort of the ride
-wider wheels/tires
-APPEARANCE (maybe rocketbunny not in near future either)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I am a total novice at all this.
Which is why you should DO NOTHING at this point.

Look, you're excited right now. You have this brand new toy, and you want to start buying things for it. You're too easily distracted by shiny objects. People will make suggestions based on what they want out of their cars, and you'll jump on them without thinking them all the way through.

If you follow this path, you will waste a lot of money buying things that you don't need or really even want. Then you'll either end up replacing them later on, or you'll spend the next few years constantly trying to convince yourself you did the right thing while not feeling entirely satisfied.

What I would suggest instead is that you drive the car for a few months just like it is. At some point, you'll be driving along and think, "Man, I really wish this car had..." For me, I thought, "Man, I really wish this car had a better accelerator pedal." And my first mod was decided. All of my mods have been like that, along with lots of research on this board and elsewhere to determine exactly how I wanted to solve each of those wants/needs/issues.

Meanwhile, read these boards, but with a dose of skepticism. Initially you'll see people talking about some mod, and you'll think, "That's cool! I want to do that!" But if you wait, a couple of weeks later you'll see a different solution to the same problem that works even better for your situation. Or you'll realize after you cool off that the cool mod you saw, while really neat for the other guy, really doesn't work for your situation.

Also, keep in mind that some mods can actually damage the car. A good example is the lightweight pulley. Those were really hot, and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and ran out to buy them for their cars without really considering whether they needed it. However, there's some evidence that the lightweight pulleys have contributed to engine failures by throwing the crankshaft out of balance. Oops?

Quote:
THANK YOU EVERYONE! You guys have given me a lot of help. I am really looking in to getting the OFT probably within the week, and coilovers the week after or so, I just dont know which ones yet currently looking at TEIN Mono Sport Damper and BC's. Any opinions on either?

Intake and Exhaust in the near future. Still in the process of deciding haha
Seriously, no matter how much your mod money is burning a hole in your pocket, don't do it. Wait and let the car tell you what it needs first. You (and the car) will be much happier long term.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
choi (02-19-2015), kch (02-06-2015), leoh007 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
BRZ86_

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Which is why you should DO NOTHING at this point.

Look, you're excited right now. You have this brand new toy, and you want to start buying things for it. You're too easily distracted by shiny objects. People will make suggestions based on what they want out of their cars, and you'll jump on them without thinking them all the way through.

If you follow this path, you will waste a lot of money buying things that you don't need or really even want. Then you'll either end up replacing them later on, or you'll spend the next few years constantly trying to convince yourself you did the right thing while not feeling entirely satisfied.

What I would suggest instead is that you drive the car for a few months just like it is. At some point, you'll be driving along and think, "Man, I really wish this car had..." For me, I thought, "Man, I really wish this car had a better accelerator pedal." And my first mod was decided. All of my mods have been like that, along with lots of research on this board and elsewhere to determine exactly how I wanted to solve each of those wants/needs/issues.

Meanwhile, read these boards, but with a dose of skepticism. Initially you'll see people talking about some mod, and you'll think, "That's cool! I want to do that!" But if you wait, a couple of weeks later you'll see a different solution to the same problem that works even better for your situation. Or you'll realize after you cool off that the cool mod you saw, while really neat for the other guy, really doesn't work for your situation.

Also, keep in mind that some mods can actually damage the car. A good example is the lightweight pulley. Those were really hot, and a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and ran out to buy them for their cars without really considering whether they needed it. However, there's some evidence that the lightweight pulleys have contributed to engine failures by throwing the crankshaft out of balance. Oops?

Seriously, no matter how much your mod money is burning a hole in your pocket, don't do it. Wait and let the car tell you what it needs first. You (and the car) will be much happier long term.

Sorry for not clarifying this in the beginning. I have owned the car since April 17th 2014 closing in on a year now and I know/feel like I know the car. I've have also taken it to the track 2x. I feel like the car needs a little MORE POWER but I wouldn't mind upgrading the suspension for increased control either. I just want some input then I'll research it and make my decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ86_ For This Useful Post:
srizzors25 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
BRZ86_ (02-06-2015), Choco (02-11-2015), leoh007 (02-13-2015), srizzors25 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If your end goal is 300-350hp, then you're probably looking at a turbo. I would skip OFT + header because both will be useless if you get a turbo down the line. Instead, go for the ecutek + flex fuel + e85 route. all those things will be useful down the line when you go FI.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
BRZ86_ (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #25
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry for not clarifying this in the beginning. I have owned the car since April 17th 2014 closing in on a year now and I know/feel like I know the car. I've have also taken it to the track 2x. I feel like the car needs a little MORE POWER but I wouldn't mind upgrading the suspension for increased control either. I just want some input then I'll research it and make my decision.
Okay, that makes things a little different. But still, curb your enthusiasm for what people suggest to you and make sure you research everything thoroughly first. This is a very good example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
If your end goal is 300-350hp, then you're probably looking at a turbo. I would skip OFT + header because both will be useless if you get a turbo down the line. Instead, go for the ecutek + flex fuel + e85 route. all those things will be useful down the line when you go FI.
See? You need to plan further down through your build before you throw money after something that may be wasted. From everything I've read, the OFT is a fine product, and it's something I'm considering for my own car in the future. It just isn't for everyone.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
BRZ86_ (02-06-2015), spicyricecake (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #26
BRZ86_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
My dude! Thanks for the info. I am seriously new to all this modding stuff. My first modified car haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Okay, that makes things a little different. But still, curb your enthusiasm for what people suggest to you and make sure you research everything thoroughly first. This is a very good example:

See? You need to plan further down through your build before you throw money after something that may be wasted. From everything I've read, the OFT is a fine product, and it's something I'm considering for my own car in the future. It just isn't for everyone.
Thank you so much! If I knew how to work this forum I would give you a thanks
And I am for sure researching everything everyone is telling me to see if I really want to go that route and I do seem over enthusiastic but I won't waste my hard earn money on things I don't/need. Thats why I am sitting here really trying to decide on which coilover I really want.

P.S. Everyone has been SUCH A GREAT HELP!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i thanked him for you BRZ86.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
BRZ86_ (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #28
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
You should do a track session. Then you will know.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote