follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 AM   #43
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, heck, old Harley Davidson riders put up with oil leaks for years ...... didn't keep them from having fun with their machines.........

humfrz
It's when they stop leaking that you have to worry. Oh wait, thats with H-46s.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:02 AM   #44
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh, heck, old Harley Davidson riders put up with oil leaks for years ...... didn't keep them from having fun with their machines.........

humfrz
Yeah but they can probalby just wipe it down pretty easily unlike having to deal with jacking the car, removing the cover and squeezing in there. The only good thing out of today was that I complained about a creaky clutch fork but they diagnosed a worn clutch release bearing and replaced that instead. Weird thing is that they replaced that bearing (known to be before as the throw out bearing) just about 6 months ago. But my car shifts and engages so much more confidently now. Feel like it's a new car almost. Clutch fork is still squeaky when it's cold, so I'm just going to regrease that myself.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #45
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Yeah but they can probalby just wipe it down pretty easily unlike having to deal with jacking the car, removing the cover and squeezing in there. The only good thing out of today was that I complained about a creaky clutch fork but they diagnosed a worn clutch release bearing and replaced that instead. Weird thing is that they replaced that bearing (known to be before as the throw out bearing) just about 6 months ago. But my car shifts and engages so much more confidently now. Feel like it's a new car almost. Clutch fork is still squeaky when it's cold, so I'm just going to regrease that myself.
With the old Harley riders, the grease spots were a way they marked their parking spots at their destinations. If you rode a Honda, you dare not park your bike in a "grease spot"!

Oh, they didn't bother wiping the dripping oil off the engine, they just added some more, from the quart can they carried in their saddlebags.

@Ultramaroon knows what I'm talken about .....

If they replaced the TOB, why didn't they grease the fork while they had it apart ..... ??

Two TOBs in 6 months ........ ....... how/why is your car eating them up .... ??

Your not letting someone drive your car that is riding the clutch ..... are you ....??

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #46
tracerit

The thing is that I'm not entirely sure they fixed the same thing this and last time.

6 months ago I was complaining of a crunchy sounding feel when depressing the clutch and they replaced the TOB. When I picked the car up, it drove the exact same but the crunchy feel was gone.

This time I complained of the creaky clutch fork only (no crunchy feel or drive ability concerns) , they replaced the TOB again but the creak is there still but the car drives definitely better now.

Service receipt shows the same part number was replaced but more was done thr first time. Real odd lol. Sorry for hijacking and derailing thr thread btw haha
Old 04-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #47
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So it appears it's time to bump an old thread. I dropped the car off in mid February at my "local" dealership in NC. They had it for about three weeks and they replaced the shortblock. Yes. The SHORTBLOCK. For those confused that's kinda the majority of the engine, minus the heads. The leak wasn't actually coming from my timing cover: it was coming from the T-joint where the timing cover meets the block. That section is also where the half blocks connect. The leak was (finally) found as a split between the two block halves right as they meet the timing cover. It is now (to my knowledge) fixed. I took it for a 7 hour drive through the mountains and highways today and it has lasted infinitely better than the multiple previous fix attempts. I'm actually confident in the fix for the first time since smoke poured from my engine bay.
I also talked to the mechanic who did all the work and am honestly confident that he know what he is doing. We discussed the actual original problem (while looking at my old short block in a box) as well as the FA20 in general and autocrossing/tracking. For the first time in almost a year I'm not worried about my car leaking oil.
IF ANYONE HAS A TIMING COVER LEAK, have the dealer put a dye in the oil and ensure that the leak is coming from the timing cover and not where the half blocks connect (and meet the cover). I've heard of a couple instances of people having recurring "timing cover oil leaks" and actually selling the car after a few fixes, there's a chance that they had a different problem masquerading as a TSB like I did. I don't want anyone else to lose the car they enjoy for such an unfortunate reason.

Last edited by Keenercarguy; 04-17-2016 at 03:07 AM. Reason: ALL of the iPhone-autocorrect typos
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Keenercarguy For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (04-17-2016), Clipdat (04-17-2016), humfrz (04-17-2016), kevaughan (08-31-2020), SPCorBUST (04-17-2016), tintumz22 (12-21-2017), tracerit (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 AM   #48
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That is actually incredibly useful to know, @Keenercarguy!
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegisdrgn For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-17-2016), Keenercarguy (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #49
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
So it appears it's time to bump an old thread. I dropped the car off in mid February at my "local" dealership in NC. They had it for about three weeks and they replaced the shortblock. Yes. The SHORTBLOCK. For those confused that's kinda the majority of the engine, minus the heads. The leak wasn't actually coming from my timing cover: it was coming from the T-joint where the timing cover meets the block. That section is also where the half blocks connect. The leak was (finally) found as a split between the two block halves right as they meet the timing cover. It is now (to my knowledge) fixed. I took it for a 7 hour drive through the mountains and highways today and it has lasted infinitely better than the multiple previous fix attempts. I'm actually confident in the fix for the first time since smoke poured from my engine bay.
I also talked to the mechanic who did all the work and am honestly confident that he know what he is doing. We discussed the actual original problem (while looking at my old short block in a box) as well as the FA20 in general and autocrossing/tracking. For the first time in almost a year I'm not worried about my car leaking oil.
IF ANYONE HAS A TIMING COVER LEAK, have the dealer put a dye in the oil and ensure that the leak is coming from the timing cover and not where the half blocks connect (and meet the cover). I've heard of a couple instances of people having recurring "timing cover oil leaks" and actually selling the car after a few fixes, there's a chance that they had a different problem masquerading as a TSB like I did. I don't want anyone else to lose the car they enjoy for such an unfortunate reason.
Is the area highlighted in red where you're referring to? Would you happen to have any pictures of your leak when it was leaking? Mine (just seepage though) is all in the green area.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #50
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Porous casting?

I've just had some wisdom teeth put in. Hasn't helped.
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #51
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
@tracerit yes, it is the area highlighted in red. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures; but I can say that it definitely didn't look like it was coming from the green location. It was all pooled around the timing cover seal on the top of the block.

Last edited by Keenercarguy; 04-17-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keenercarguy For This Useful Post:
tracerit (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #52
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Porous casting?

I've just had some wisdom teeth put in. Hasn't helped.
I thought most folks had wisdom teeth "taken out" .. ?? .... but, then I see you're from the UK .......

sorry ......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #53
Norville Rogers
Banned

Quote:
I thought most folks had wisdom teeth "taken out" .. ?? .... but, then I see you're from the UK .......

sorry ......

humfrz
Don't apologise. It's called a joke.

Google it if you have more fingers than brain cells
Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #54
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz (04-18-2016), Norville Rogers (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #55
humfrz

Quote:

OK, with one of my fingers and both brain cells ...... I googled "British bad teeth".

I was wrong .... they just need work .....

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Norville Rogers (04-18-2016), [YOYO] (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #56
Norville Rogers
Banned

Quote:
OK, with one of my fingers and both brain cells ...... I googled "British bad teeth".

I was wrong .... they just need work .....

humfrz
Oh dear, you are trying too hard and being silly and offensive. You've got the stage to yourself now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norville Rogers For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-18-2016), [YOYO] (04-18-2016)

Tags
help me, oil leak, timing cover leak