follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
@Tcoat

People generally tend to think that TRD springs are just rebranded Eibach Pro-Kit. This is the first that I've heard of the RS*Rs being speculated as a TRD supplier. As a person with a fair amount of experience with both RS*R Superdowns and Eibach Pro-Kit springs I'll say that the RS*Rs were much more comfortable for initial bumps than the Pro-Kits. This is mostly due to the slightly softer and more progressive RS*R spring rate. The RS*R's are also about 1/4" lower all the way around (after settling) than the Eibachs (which IMO made the RS*R drop look better).

However
, the RS*R Superdowns tended to be harsh on hard bumps. This is because they do not include a set of shorter bump stops with the springs. The factory bump stops only give about .6" of clearance to the factory springs, so lowering the car any amount more than that puts you on the softest tip of the factory bump stops. Unless your spring kit comes with replacement shorter bump stops (as the RS*Rs did not) they (the Superdowns) were generally riding the factory bump stops. The '86 uses the OEM bump stop as a secondary spring, so this isn't the end of the world, however it will affect ride and handling somewhat. The Eibach Pro-kit comes with replacement shorter bump stops to prevent this issue. Still the Pro-Kit is measurably stiffer and less compliant on the road, but probably more predictable with the front end (although I got used to what the front end of the Superdown equipped car was going to do).

Now because you don't know if the dealer replaced or trimmed the factory bump stops when he installed your SuperDowns you might want to try and confirm this visually. If you cannot then try to feel for any understeering behavior when weight has transferred over the front wheels, if that's the case, then the dealer may not have trimmed or replaced your OEM bump stops.

If that's the case I'd recommend pairing your RS*R Superdowns + Shorter progressive bump stops. You can get replacement bump stops from Eibach USA (PM me for part#) and also Koni if you find that your ride is too harsh or if you have any handling issues.

-fin
I most certainly do notice the harshness on heavy bumps and railroad tracks have become my worst enemy.
Have never noticed any under steer when nose loaded but then the car has always had the springs so my just figure it is "normal".
Since the dealer had no clue that they were not the TRD springs (As a tech I would have at least questioned why the sway bars were red but the springs were not) I have to presume they did nothing with the stops. They seem to be as far from experts on these cars as you can get although in fairness, they have not worked on many.
When I realized they did not look like TRD and did my research I noticed that the RS*Rs did not come with stops and wondered if I should do anything about that. Now I know!
Will send PM for part # and thank you very much for saving me a pile of time looking for what I may need/want to do!
DAEMANO (11-17-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #16
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
It's VERY possible that RS*R makes TRD's OEM springs.
It's more likely they are made by Eibach.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
quality_sound

Drives: '15 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
While I would also agree knowing how many OEMs Eibach does make springs for, but based solely on the fact that his TRD springs were branded RS*R and the dealership says that's what they got from Toyota I'm making an assumption.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
4 free oil change? ha! i rather ask gift cards of $200!
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
While I would also agree knowing how many OEMs Eibach does make springs for, but based solely on the fact that his TRD springs were branded RS*R and the dealership says that's what they got from Toyota I'm making an assumption.
His dealership sounds like a bunch of retards that sold him RSR springs they thought were TRD.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Pretty much confirmed everywhere that Eibach makes the TRD springs.
Mine never had any indication they were TRD other then what was on the sales documents. The springs themselves are black not red, have RS*R clearly marked on them, the whole box (has my stock springs in it now) is inked RS*R and the only non Japanese on the box label says RS*R-S.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
4 free oil change? ha! i rather ask gift cards of $200!
Oil change and services here cost $70 and since I don't have anyplace to do my own it was a great deal!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:
His dealership sounds like a bunch of retards that sold him RSR springs they thought were TRD.
They are actually pretty good but ya I would have thought the parts person would question the box with RS*R printed all over it.
The tech that installed them wouldn't be expected to know it was wrong as they would have just handed him a box and said "install these".