follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exclamation Turbo Build - Goal 300whp at best bang for buck

To lay the groundwork, I have a series blue brz with basically just a cat back and a couple other minor mods as I've been contemplating the direction I want to take my car over the last several months.

I've decided I want to jump right into the power and build it to a goal that's reminiscent of my old mustang gt and 03 cobra. That's why I've chosen the 300whp as my initial goal. Later on down the road I'll either build the motor or swap the motor and strive for higher numbers but I'll be perfectly content with 300 to the wheels for quite a while.

I want to do everything right, the first time, and have it be as reliable as possible. This is my daily driver and now only vehicle. I'm looking to get a good value for my money but don't mind spending more if it's worth it for x or y reason.

I'm open to all turbo kit suggestions or other advise, 93 octane, I'm not really interested in e85 as it'll be a big hassle at my location. I came into this thinking I can be essentially done for $6000

My goals with the car it's a daily driver street car, some car shows, and a few auto x events for fun.

I've attached some screen shots of the several options I've looked at and are considering so far - the fbm turbo kit - jdl turbo kit - Greddy turbo kit - sbd turbo kit - and ptuning turbo kit
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Carlysh

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Dude not to hurt and feel bad but they is a thread in the sticky with all budget turbo kit and i lost count how many thread are
with the same question
my advise more research in the FI section they have all turbo kits
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlysh For This Useful Post:
drewbot (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
come out to the open house at pure automotive tomorrow and check out some cars. there should be people with just about all of those kits there you can talk to and get real time info from.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Done^ real experience is magnitudes (on the order of billions) times better than a forum response.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
10k for the ptuning puts it out of range but it's a solid kit for sure.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yah Ptuning is probably the best overall engineered solution. If you're looking for bang for the buck and decent engineering then the SBD kit is hard to beat, probably what I'll end up going for eventually. But as other said, talk to owners to get a real idea. Also keep in mind you'll probably want to budget for a custom tune, oil cooler, AEM failsafe, and maybe a clutch.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
All of those turbo kits will get the job done. So if best bang for the buck is your concern, then go with the cheapest. I lump those kits into 3 categories:

Small turbo kits:

SBD (Greddy clone)
Greddy

Forward Mount Garrett/Precision Turbo Kits:

JDL
Full Blown
MAP

Low Side Mount Garrett Turbo Kit:

PTUNING

I would lean toward the Full Blown or the PTUNING kit depending on your plans for the car, but they are definitely not the best bang for the buck. If you want higher numbers and plan a built motor down the road then the Full Blown or the PTUNING kit with a GTX30 turbo might become more of a better value.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
You took the high installed price quote. The kit isn't 10k. The price is on order of the other high end kits when you factor in the oil return pump setup.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
SON1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Done^ real experience is magnitudes (on the order of billions) times better than a forum response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
come out to the open house at pure automotive tomorrow and check out some cars. there should be people with just about all of those kits there you can talk to and get real time info from.
Appreciate the heads up guys! I really wanted to make it out there tomorrow but I'm unfortunately working open to close 7-7 basically -- I tell myself it'll help me purchase the kit at least.. Lol

Hoping to make it out to the next one held.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
SON1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlysh View Post
Dude not to hurt and feel bad but they is a thread in the sticky with all budget turbo kit and i lost count how many thread are
with the same question
my advise more research in the FI section they have all turbo kits
Appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You took the high installed price quote. The kit isn't 10k. The price is on order of the other high end kits when you factor in the oil return pump setup.
Yeah I don't want that to seem misleading their kit is basically 7k
Old 10-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
SON1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
All of those turbo kits will get the job done. So if best bang for the buck is your concern, then go with the cheapest. I lump those kits into 3 categories:

Small turbo kits:

SBD (Greddy clone)
Greddy

Forward Mount Garrett/Precision Turbo Kits:

JDL
Full Blown
MAP

Low Side Mount Garrett Turbo Kit:

PTUNING

I would lean toward the Full Blown or the PTUNING kit depending on your plans for the car, but they are definitely not the best bang for the buck. If you want higher numbers and plan a built motor down the road then the Full Blown or the PTUNING kit with a GTX30 turbo might become more of a better value.
Are there other kits I didn't post you would recommend as well?

I'm looking for a 300whp setup that is absolutely reliable -- I know I'll end up going for more power down the road but it may be 2 years to where getting ready for that now could be a waste. 300 to the wheels on pump gas will certainly make me happy for awhile and then I can keep it from becoming a money pit... Or trying! Lol

Late game plan is either a built motor or engine swap, but as stated not for years.

If you were me, with the rough idea of what I want, what route would you take?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
SON1C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Yah Ptuning is probably the best overall engineered solution. If you're looking for bang for the buck and decent engineering then the SBD kit is hard to beat, probably what I'll end up going for eventually. But as other said, talk to owners to get a real idea. Also keep in mind you'll probably want to budget for a custom tune, oil cooler, AEM failsafe, and maybe a clutch.
I only have 5000 miles on my car so far so I'll use the stock clutch as long as it will last, will figure out which one to have on hand when that day comes. Does the fail safe deliver or is it better to just use a normal afr gauge. What is the best oil cooling setup for my needs?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
I only have 5000 miles on my car so far so I'll use the stock clutch as long as it will last, will figure out which one to have on hand when that day comes. Does the fail safe deliver or is it better to just use a normal afr gauge. What is the best oil cooling setup for my needs?

The AEM failsafe works well for overboost protection (boost creep, watergate issue, etc). It can signal an electronic boost controller (also I think you can wire it up somehow with the stock ECU, ecutek, and a solenoid) to cut boost if it exceeds a certain threshold, or if the wideband O2 sensor detects a lean condition. Can really save your hide if set up right.

Search around for oil coolers people are using with the turbo kit you like, that way you know there won't be any fitment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
brianbui23 (02-01-2022)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
I went with the most reliable way but it still ended up costing me closer to $8500 for upgrades on kit, Clutch and a fullblown 3" exhaust. If I would of had labor, I know it would of been over 10k.

Don't take shortcuts. You'll end up costing yourself an engine. If your budget doesn't seem to fit it at the moment then keep saving. It's worth it, I promise!

If you go supercharged you'll make less hp using a base kit without supporting mods. but, you won't need clutch right away and you'll spend way less. I personally have always had Garrett turbos on my bikes and cars so you won't get any super charger support from me.

Some turbos are oil and water cooled and some aren't. Some turbos have ball bearings and some don't.

Study your ass off.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
brianbui23 (02-01-2022)

Tags
brz, frs, son1c, turbo, turbo kit