follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
abevil

Drives: 2017 BRZ Pure Red w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've got the Kenwood DDX917WS and it works perfectly in my car. All factory functions are intact. I did go the route of buying the prewired harness from Carbon Car Systems. If you are comfortable with wiring you can probably put it together fairly easy. Before I got the Kenwood I tried to install the Alpine unit with wireless CarPlay. Spent an entire weekend trying to wire it and couldn't get it to work. Got frustrated and returned it. Haven't looked back since.
abevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abevil View Post
I've got the Kenwood DDX917WS and it works perfectly in my car. All factory functions are intact. I did go the route of buying the prewired harness from Carbon Car Systems. If you are comfortable with wiring you can probably put it together fairly easy. Before I got the Kenwood I tried to install the Alpine unit with wireless CarPlay. Spent an entire weekend trying to wire it and couldn't get it to work. Got frustrated and returned it. Haven't looked back since.
+1 for that HU. It is incredible. Voice commands in android auto are great, and I never really have to use the touchscreen controls.

I also ordered from Carbon, and my only issue with their harness was the backup camera did not work plug and play. I feel this may be because of a wiring difference between Canadian and US models since we have different stock head units (I also needed a Toyota USB adapter instead of Subaru one?). A local shop resolved it all for me though so its flawless now.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #17
abevil

Drives: 2017 BRZ Pure Red w/PP
It really is awesome. Most of the time I just use the steering wheel controls to control everything. The hand gestures are neat, but probably work half the time for me. I am curious to see how this new unit stacks up.

As for the issue with your back up camera, that is strange. I guess there must be some slight difference between the US and CA models like you said. Glad that you were able to get it squared away though!
abevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #18
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
+1 for that HU. It is incredible. Voice commands in android auto are great, and I never really have to use the touchscreen controls.

I also ordered from Carbon, and my only issue with their harness was the backup camera did not work plug and play. I feel this may be because of a wiring difference between Canadian and US models since we have different stock head units (I also needed a Toyota USB adapter instead of Subaru one?). A local shop resolved it all for me though so its flawless now.
Quote:
It really is awesome. Most of the time I just use the steering wheel controls to control everything. The hand gestures are neat, but probably work half the time for me. I am curious to see how this new unit stacks up.

As for the issue with your back up camera, that is strange. I guess there must be some slight difference between the US and CA models like you said. Glad that you were able to get it squared away though!

Hi guys,

This is exactly what I am interested in (Kenwood DDX917WS Upgrade for Toyota 86 & Subaru BRZ – 2012 to 2017 -Carbon Car Systems). Its the HU and the customized harness together.

Since I plan to get get the 2018 Toyota 86 I am not sure if it will fit (any idea? or any friend who has it on the 2017 86 or special edition?)

Unfortunately, carbon Car Systems did replied that they dont ship to USA. How did you guys get the products from them ?

Thanks
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #19
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Hi guys,

This is exactly what I am interested in (Kenwood DDX917WS Upgrade for Toyota 86 & Subaru BRZ – 2012 to 2017). Its the HU and the customized harness together.

Since plan to get get the 2018 Toyota 86 I am not sure if it will fit (any idea? or any friend who has it on the 2017 86 or special edition?)

Unfortunately, carbon Car Systems did replied that they dont ship to USA. How did you guys get the products from them ?

Thanks
When did you message them? I ordered from them last November. I just emailed and asked for a quote to ship to Canada and was able to order through paypal.

I don't think there is any difference in head units between the regular 86 or the special edition, but just make sure to tell them the exact car you have so they can make you the right harness.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #20
Busybee

They replied two hours ago.

In the comments [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1-a71BrZY"]here[/ame] they give the shipping cost to USA for the harness

its interesting ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Busybee For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
@NeverInTime and @Busybee thank you very much for the info! Good to know there are options coming out there.
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #22
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
They replied two hours ago.

In the comments
they give the shipping cost to USA for the harness

its interesting ...
Here's the product page on their site:
https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...7ws-toyota-86/

When you add something to the cart, the site says "Unfortunately your order cannot be shipped to the United States".
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
Busybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBlue View Post
@NeverInTime and @Busybee thank you very much for the info! Good to know there are options coming out there.
There is a lot of nice info about this which I can share later. I am searching in detail for everything that I want to see on my car once I get it. The HU like the DDX617WS or AVIC-8200NEX looks like the best options since there are several pages showing installation in FRS/BRZ/86 with a great fit. In addition I am also searching for subwoofer enclosures such as the OEMAudio+ or the ones that Integrity Concepts was providing. Their product was announced here in this forum and they did a great job until april 2017. Check it out here. Now I can not find them anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
Here's the product page on their site:
https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...7ws-toyota-86/

When you add something to the cart, the site says "Unfortunately your order cannot be shipped to the United States".
Exactly! Thats the reason I emailed, PM'ed and also send message via Facebook but unfortunately, they do not send it. Very sad.

I am not an expert to check all differences between the ddx917 and pioneer AVIC8200 but I want the custom made harness not to deal with the car audio places cutting stock cables and end up with non working features like steering wheel, rear camera etc.

will see... first have to get the car
Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #24
Busybee

Quote:
Hi Abevil,

Is it possible to send a pic for the fit on your dash?

In addition, do any one know any other version of kenwood or ther brand that properly fits the 2017-2018 gt86?

thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #25
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
I would like to put the 2018 headunit into my 2017 as well - I despise the 2017 headunit, but want the OEM look, and think CarPlay should solve my issues. Of course the caveat is going to be if buying the part new cost $200 million, and in that case I may opt for aftermarket or someone with a 2018 deciding to upgrade the stocky. I will be following this thread closely.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #26
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I didn't see it in the thread yet, but FYI....

The 2018 radio has a suggested retail price of about $2200. Online dealers have it about $1850.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
OfficeWorker (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post

The 2018 radio has a suggested retail price of about $2200. Online dealers have it about $1850.
Holy crap! I could buy 2.73 TE37s for that money (or one TE37 and a moderately-high-end hooker)
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #28
Busybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post

Woow!!! for that amount I can get the DDX917WS ($650), the harness ($250) a sub and amp.

Very unrelated but does the Toyota 86 (17 or 18) have the ready harness for the subwoofer enclosure like the BRZ has for its KICKER box?

Thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to Busybee For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (03-13-2018)