follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #2521
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm waiting for gamma ray headlights. The heck with looking stupid and causing problems for oncoming traffic. One shot of the high beam and your ass is roasted.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #2522
Perihelion
Unemployed DIY Ninja

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 1983 MB SD300
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelosx View Post
1) Scraped my bumper entering a driveway a little too eagerly. Can't see the scrape unless you look under the car. Should I worry about touching this up? Sigh.

2) Installed sequential license plates. Not sure how much longer the personalized plates will take.

3) Installed Lockum Tornado Twister locks, one on each plate, even though I really bought the locks to secure the personalized plates. Didn't see the need to have two locks on each plate, so I only bought one set. In California, if someone steals ONE of your personalized plates, DMV will send a replacement. If they steal BOTH plates, you have to order a new, different set. I don't want to lose my choice to a thief, so I got the locks.

4) Passed the magical 1,000 mile threshold!

5) Posted the above information in the BRZ thread, removed it, and posted here.
You're gonna get mad scrapes underneath, don't worry too much about it, it's just a fact of life
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #2523
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
I'm waiting for gamma ray headlights. The heck with looking stupid and causing problems for oncoming traffic. One shot of the high beam and your ass is roasted.
Wow so much hate for over half the forum. You mad bro?
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #2524
michaelosx

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 6AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
You're gonna get mad scrapes underneath, don't worry too much about it, it's just a fact of life
Thanks for easing my mind. With all the talk of wheel gap on new wheels/tires, I've been thinking a 1" drop is somewhere in my future. Then I go and scrape the bumper at stock height.

I know this will sound really stupid, but I'm asking anyway because this forum seems generally polite: Can I expect the bumper scratch underneath to spread via paint peeling or something? If there's no chance of that other than by more encounters with concrete, then I'm good.

:happy0180:
michaelosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #2525
JDM FRS

Drives: Scion FRS(Whiteout)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for easing my mind. With all the talk of wheel gap on new wheels/tires, I've been thinking a 1" drop is somewhere in my future. Then I go and scrape the bumper at stock height.

I know this will sound really stupid, but I'm asking anyway because this forum seems generally polite: Can I expect the bumper scratch underneath to spread via paint peeling or something? If there's no chance of that other than by more encounters with concrete, then I'm good.

Not likely, under the paint is relatively soft plastic. With how thin the paint is it will probably just be localized damage.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
JDM FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM FRS For This Useful Post:
michaelosx (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #2526
Perihelion
Unemployed DIY Ninja

Quote:

I don't have too many miles on my car ~5k, running OEM suspension/wheels and mad scraped underneath, but I don't see it spreading... I'm also opticoated though, idk if that makes a difference. My bumper has a few rock chips and scratches on it above the underbody as well. It's really impossible to keep the car pristine unless you have a garage and get opticoat + clear bra. If anything just buy a new bumper at some point... I'll probably do it 5 years down the line. They're plastic and pretty cheap, the paint job probably costs more
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #2527
andrewFT86

Drives: dark grey metallic Toyota 86 MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

andrewFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewFT86 For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #2528
michaelosx

Drives: FR-S Whiteout 6AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Cool. I was also considering adding a lip down the road to cover/prevent any paint scrapes. If carbon fiber can withstand mild scrapes without falling apart, I'll do that eventually. On the other hand, if such a lip is too easy for a thief to take while I'm parked at work . . .

One thing I really enjoy about the car is how open to modifications it is. I've never owned anything close before. Everything else has always been purchased with practicality in mind. Love it! It's led me to join this car forum and start purchasing minor mod items with eyes toward bigger mods in the future.

I used to visit Tacomaworld to find out how to solve certain issues like a squeaky AC blower motor, which sounded more like a bird than a cricket, but I never joined.

I signed up for this forum the day after buying the car. Thanks for the help and advice. At least my first scratch is under the car.
michaelosx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelosx For This Useful Post:
JDM FRS (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #2529
Perihelion
Unemployed DIY Ninja

Quote:
Cool. I was also considering adding a lip down the road to cover/prevent any paint scrapes. If carbon fiber can withstand mild scrapes without falling apart, I'll do that eventually. On the other hand, if such a lip is too easy for a thief to take while I'm parked at work . . .

One thing I really enjoy about the car is how open to modifications it is. I've never owned anything close before. Everything else has always been purchased with practicality in mind. Love it! It's led me to join this car forum and start purchasing minor mod items with eyes toward bigger mods in the future.

I used to visit Tacomaworld to find out how to solve certain issues like a squeaky AC blower motor, which sounded more like a bird than a cricket, but I never joined.

I signed up for this forum the day after buying the car. Thanks for the help and advice. At least my first scratch is under the car.
NP, carbon is scary cus its expensive and will likely snap...

I agree with your sentiments on the modability of the vehicle. I was totally new to this before I purchased this car (my two previous cars were an 84 camry and a 97 accord). But this platform has allowed me to learn all kinds of things. I try to do everything I can by myself and if not, with the help of fellow owners. No mechanic has touched my car yet
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #2530
USMC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-s
4th of July weekend I installed a pair of Hella horns. I just removed the under panels from the front bumper. Just wired from the original horn wires. Sounds great. Piece of cake.
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to USMC For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #2531
6speed_Sam
Thumper

Drives: 2013 FRS
Picked up my Rexspeed mirrors from the post office this morning. Very well made. One minute install combined!..just have to readjust mirrors. Makes a real difference to me.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #2532
JenkoUK

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Leather Seats

Added Leather Seats
JenkoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #2533
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Personal plates

Ordered RAVEN 86 plates today. Outside of wheels, toughest decision I have made so far. BLK FT86, RAVENFRS, 4ME2NJOY, BLACKFRS, RAVN FRS were all in the running.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #2534
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Took my stock FR-S for a drive. Did not think for a minute I needed to add ugly-ass body work, more power, tint, wheels, lips, lids, vinyl, fart-can or the rest. Patted it on the dashboard when I got home and told it it is an awesome car.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby