follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Asphalt FR-S pics

My asphalt fr-s... Hopefully I can pick it up next week.

Rob
Attached Images

Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob_g For This Useful Post:
normancw (05-30-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Nice car! Awesome man. I'm glad you got the car.

But why wouldn't they let you take it home now? There is a sold sign on it.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Congrats!
That's my color also. Nice choice, looks great! Thanks for the pics
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Nice car! Awesome man. I'm glad you got the car.

But why wouldn't they let you take it home now? There is a sold sign on it.

bneale
There's a snafu with the paperwork and NO FR-S in Canada are being sold until it's corrected. So for now it's a shelf queen... lol

Probably one of the very few that actually got delivered so far.

Rob
Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
There's a snafu with the paperwork and NO FR-S in Canada are being sold until it's corrected. So for now it's a shelf queen... lol

Rob
Ahh the stupid manual problem. Damn lawyers!!!

I don't know too much about this problem but from what I've heard, its something with the user manual being written wrong or printed wrong. I'm guessing they're just holding everything up for legal issues.

I dunno if you can do this or not, but when you do get to take the car home I'd love to see some pics of the car in the sun. In these photos, the light is a little too flat.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Rob_g

I keep thinking to myself why would anyone buy an FR-S when for a little more money the BRZ has so many extra features.

Heated seats
Decent Nav Unit
HID headlights
Better seat material (leather trimmed)
Fog lights
Dual zone climate control
Push button start
Spoiler
LED lights (FR-S rear is LED though)

The climate controls and heated seats I know I will miss.. The trouble is that the local Subie dealership has a very bad reputation so dealing there is out of the question. So FR-S it is....
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Quote:
I keep thinking to myself why would anyone buy an FR-S when for a little more money the BRZ has so many extra features.

Heated seats
Decent Nav Unit
HID headlights
Better seat material (leather trimmed)
Fog lights
Dual zone climate control
Push button start
Spoiler
LED lights (FR-S rear is LED though)

The climate controls and heated seats I know I will miss.. The trouble is that the local Subie dealership has a very bad reputation so dealing there is out of the question. So FR-S it is....
Personally I prefer the pure driving simplicity of the FR-S

*Heated Seats-Lived this long without them, enjoy them in the family car, but no big deal to me if not there
*Decent NAV unit-Myself, can stand them! I have my smart phone if I need to look up where I'm going, but even then I rarely use that, since I tend to pre-map anywhere I'm going and commit it to memory. Hate something beeping at me where and when to turn!
*Better seat material(leather trimmed)-Meh, I'm a cloth seat person, plus these days it's rarely real leather anyway, rather it's "leatherette" ie;VINYL!!
*Fog lights-Doesn't even register with me as they're almost always useless, at least the factory ones.
*Duel Zone Climate Control-Sorry but simplicity wins out there for me. 3 simple knobs always beats these electronic climate gizmos hands down everytime!
*Push Button Start-Whatever
*Spoiler-Ugly! Ruins the clean shape of the car.
*LED lights-Cool feature, but like the heated seats, nice to have but hardly a deal breaker

Anyway that Asphalt is one sweet looking colour! I'm having a tough time deciding between that or Whiteout when I get around to getting a FR-S
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moniz For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
The red bolsters doesn't look too bad on the DGM
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
ahquit

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
It's just personal preference. BRZ front is fugly to me and is a deal breaker on that point alone, but if others like it that's cool. :happy0180:
ahquit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahquit For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Rob_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniz View Post

*Heated Seats-Lived this long without them, enjoy them in the family car, but no big deal to me if not there
*Decent NAV unit-Myself, can stand them! I have my smart phone if I need to look up where I'm going, but even then I rarely use that, since I tend to pre-map anywhere I'm going and commit it to memory. Hate something beeping at me where and when to turn!
*Better seat material(leather trimmed)-Meh, I'm a cloth seat person, plus these days it's rarely real leather anyway, rather it's "leatherette" ie;VINYL!!
*Fog lights-Doesn't even register with me as they're almost always useless, at least the factory ones.
*Duel Zone Climate Control-Sorry but simplicity wins out there for me. 3 simple knobs always beats these electronic climate gizmos hands down everytime!
*LED lights-Cool feature, but like the heated seats, nice to have but hardly a deal breaker

Anyway that Asphalt is one sweet looking colour! I'm having a tough time deciding between that or Whiteout when I get around to getting a FR-S
I agree that I don't like the spoiler either, maybe a small 'lip' would be ok though. This particular FR-S I have had the opportunity to take out by myself for a 30 minute test drive (actually I have about an hour in the car) and it's an AT. I did not try the shift levers as the transmission in 'sport' (even normal) mode is extremely responsive and a lot of fun. This is unlike any other AT I have ever driven and I was quite pleased with it. While an MT is fun for a while, when you are in the middle of winter and it's bumper to bumper traffic the novelty soon wears thin.. I found that out with my RSX-S.. As for color... As for colors, the FR-S certainly wins in that area with a lot more to select from. Too bad the cars couldn't change color with a push of a button...

Rob
Old 05-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I have many issues with this post, but I will only touch on three, two of them because I found them funny.

1st bold point:

2nd bold point:
You sound like an old codger who refuses to learn new things who is stuck in the past. By the way, I would prefer "Duel Zone Climate Controls" to "Dual Zone Climate Controls", that way I could have honor battles with my passenger and possibly make tempests in the car!

3rd bold point:
It's not the LEDs that make those lights good, it's the fact they're HIDs and not halogen. Better visibility at night, it's a safety thing.

Grats on the new car Rob_g, if the dealership wasn't lying and you really are allowing people to sit in it, thank you for that opportunity. May you enjoy it for years to come.... as soon as they sort out that documentation problem.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
moniz

Drives: 2010 Mazda5 GT,2012 Honda Fit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
I have many issues with this post, but I will only touch on three, two of them because I found them funny.

1st bold point:

2nd bold point:
You sound like an old codger who refuses to learn new things who is stuck in the past. By the way, I would prefer "Duel Zone Climate Controls" to "Dual Zone Climate Controls", that way I could have honor battles with my passenger and possibly make tempests in the car!

3rd bold point:
It's not the LEDs that make those lights good, it's the fact they're HIDs and not halogen. Better visibility at night, it's a safety thing.

Grats on the new car Rob_g, if the dealership wasn't lying and you really are allowing people to sit in it, thank you for that opportunity. May you enjoy it for years to come.... as soon as they sort out that documentation problem.

Old codger? How old are you to even know that word!

I stand by what I said. The point of my post was to explain why some people might not see the BR-Z as a better value, not that it may not be to some people.

Your first point. You're soo much cooler than me aren't you?

As for your answer to about my second point, I love tech and embrace it where I see it really improves things for me(just ask my wife who complains about always getting the latest tech gadget), but sometimes simplicity is much better than just having the latest electronic just for its own sake. If BMW's absolutely convoluted iDrive system isn't perfect example of that, I don't know what is! With very few exceptions, there hasn't been an auto journalist/reviewer who hasn't panned that completely overblown complicated system every time they've had to review a Bimmer with one. Not saying the BR-Z's is anything like that, but for ME, I prefer simple HVAC controls. Again, personal preference. Just like I prefer an iPhone over and Android, Mac over PC, etc. For me they're subjectively better for how I want things to work, but not objectively better.

I'll grant you the LED and HID points, but again, when added up with why I like the FR-S more, it's not enough to sway my preference.

Hey, everyone will prefer what they like better, and one car isn't necessarily worse or better than the other;it's what you like.

Now go on and prove how much cooler/younger you are than me and commence flaming me.
moniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Old codger? How old are you to even know that word!

I stand by what I said. The point of my post was to explain why some people might not see the BR-Z as a better value, not that it may not be to some people.

Your first point. You're soo much cooler than me aren't you?

As for your answer to about my second point, I love tech and embrace it where I see it really improves things for me(just ask my wife who complains about always getting the latest tech gadget), but sometimes simplicity is much better than just having the latest electronic just for its own sake. If BMW's absolutely convoluted iDrive system isn't perfect example of that, I don't know what is! With very few exceptions, there hasn't been an auto journalist/reviewer who hasn't panned that completely overblown complicated system every time they've had to review a Bimmer with one. Not saying the BR-Z's is anything like that, but for ME, I prefer simple HVAC controls. Again, personal preference. Just like I prefer an iPhone over and Android, Mac over PC, etc. For me they're subjectively better for how I want things to work, but not objectively better.

I'll grant you the LED and HID points, but again, when added up with why I like the FR-S more, it's not enough to sway my preference.

Hey, everyone will prefer what they like better, and one car isn't necessarily worse or better than the other;it's what you like.

Now go on and prove how much cooler/younger you are than me and commence flaming me.

Well played, sir, well played. Well... at least until you reached the part about Apple... but I won't get into that. That's a head butting for another forum :P

I couldn't agree more on "To each their own" that's why I refuse to get either the Subaru or Scion, I will only purchase the Toyota GT 86 Limited... if they ever smarten up and release it here.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post

1st bold point:

2nd bold point:

3rd bold point:

I have to ask, how many o those things are actually in your car and how much do you wish your car had them if you dont?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote