follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Awesome photos! The "Neverbeen" sticker made me laugh, I have to get one myself!
+1
And the car looks great! Congratulations.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Imti (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Drives: 2013 Firestorm GT86 A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you ALL for your kind comments.
Glad to become part of the family.

And to answer a few questions asked since my last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by os86 View Post
Nice shots. Red looks good .
Are you a local (emarati)?
No friend, I'm not Emarati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
nice cars man! love the color

let me know when you're ready to purchase the plate frame
Ah, totally forgot about it. Are the 'no text' frames available with you already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froylavin View Post
Congrats on your car Imti!

My car is exactly the same but Raven Black Here in Lebanon, we didn't get the JDM exhaust tips either. The cars sent to Lebanon and Dubai seem identical in features. Please let me know if you gain any traction with your talk so I know if I should even bother with the dealer here in Lebanon.
Yea, about that. I doubt they are bringing those tips to UAE. Our best bet is either get decent priced tips from Amazon(Like I did; check my 2nd post in this thread). Or shell out major dough from Japanparts. Funny how they are now selling the Toyota JDM tips for 550dhs(& you add 160dhs shipping to UAE on top). Whereas the exact same item under Subaru BRZ link is selling for 450dhs(again shipping extra). Still too much for me at this time. Maybe some months later if I'm not happy with my DC sports bolt-ons. BTW, I receive them on the 9th next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Nope dont like any of the photos! LOVE them!!!

Im glad you even have the time to post them up for us! I dont plan to get off the seat till im done with 1000km!!!

:happy0180:
Cheers to you too! I'll see if I can post more photos of the interior soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86-UAE View Post
nice color ...

if you need a rear spoiler for the FT i order few for my car and friends from Five Axis.

Cheers.
Interesting! PM me the details n I'll consider what I can muster with the savings I'm left with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Awesome photos! The "Neverbeen" sticker made me laugh, I have to get one myself!
I know. Made me laugh the instant I saw it. It's a vinyl so can stay on for years without wear or tear. What surprised me was how big it is.

Now I'm at odds with where to apply it on the car. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
+1
And the car looks great! Congratulations.
Thanks Mishimoto. Took me 3 hours to finish the shoot around that part of town. Went on each side of the Creek to get the perfect shots.

UAE - Lightning Red Mid-Spec - Delivered 25th July'12 > IT'S HERE <
Imti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
i_giado

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice car Imti! (a forum name suspiciously close to my real one

Congrats on the Firestorm, seems to be a very popular choice of colour in the UAE. FYI the recommended octane level is Super 98 on a ccount of the high compression. Might as well stick to the manufacturer's spec, it's not worth risking your warranty for the sake of a few dirhams less. Plus, this car is mindboggingly economical for a sports car....

Mine is now approaching 2000km. I think it's time for an owner's meet!
i_giado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to i_giado For This Useful Post:
Imti (07-31-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

This showed up at work an hour ago. And these were scheduled to arrive on the 9th.

Lucky me!

Psyched! Can't wait to get off work. 2 hours to go.

Update: I'm home. Couldn't find a decent spot to park and it's above 45'C outside. Will wait till the car cools down and the sun is setting. First time I saw the tips, they appeared really big. Now that I placed them near the diffuser. They appear alright.

Now the challenge will be to align them nicely. All alignment tips are welcome.

Update2:
Size comparison (couldn't think of anything better for universal comparison than xbox slim)

Last edited by Imti; 08-01-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imti View Post
All alignment tips are welcome.
I had to take the included washers out from inbetween the bolts and the shims to get the shims to back out enough and slip the tip on over the stock pipe. You'll probably need to do the same. Just slide them back until right before the pipe begins to curve to the muffler, youll notice when the tips start to point left or right instead of straight back. Then tighten the inside (top left for passenger side, top right for drivers side) bolt/shim first, then the bottom, then the 3rd one. Back up and look straight into the tip and make sure the stock pipe is centered inside the tip, then stand above the bumper and eyeball both tips to make sure they are even and one isn't sticking out farther than the other.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Imti (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I had to take the included washers out from inbetween the bolts and the shims to get the shims to back out enough and slip the tip on over the stock pipe. You'll probably need to do the same. Just slide them back until right before the pipe begins to curve to the muffler, youll notice when the tips start to point left or right instead of straight back. Then tighten the inside (top left for passenger side, top right for drivers side) bolt/shim first, then the bottom, then the 3rd one. Back up and look straight into the tip and make sure the stock pipe is centered inside the tip, then stand above the bumper and eyeball both tips to make sure they are even and one isn't sticking out farther than the other.
Thanks for your support. But I couldn't read your post before I installed the tips. I believe the GCC spec GT86 has bigger stock pipes that I had anticipated. I had ordered the EX1012 without checking how big the inlet requirement will be.

I had to remove the washers and the support metal(shims as you said it?). So basically, what you see here is attached via bolts only. Should that be a concern? Would I lose the exhaust tips on a bump somewhere ?

I couldn't for the life of me insert the tips with the metal thingies (shims).

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imti View Post
Thanks for your support. But I couldn't read your post before I installed the tips. I believe the GCC spec GT86 has bigger stock pipes that I had anticipated. I had ordered the EX1012 without checking how big the inlet requirement will be.

I had to remove the washers and the support metal(shims as you said it?). So basically, what you see here is attached via bolts only. Should that be a concern? Would I lose the exhaust tips on a bump somewhere ?

I couldn't for the life of me insert the tips with the metal thingies (shims).
Are you sure the stock pipe is bigger than the regular spec of 2.25 inches? My tips fit with the shims but no washers.

I wouldn't run with the bolts only and no shims. When you tighten them, the bolts focus pressure in one small spot, and your stock pipes may have indentations on them now from the bolts pressing against them. The force of the bolts only is not spread out enough for me to trust them gripping the pipe well and not falling off or getting misaligned. That's what the shims are for.

Try putting them on again with the shims but back the bolts ALL THE WAY OUT to the point where they are barely threaded, then push the shims outward as much as you can (without washers inbetween) and then gently slide/wiggle them on the stock pipe making sure the shims don't fall down. Use two hands and you may have to hold the shims in place as you're sliding the tip on so the edge of the stock pipe doesn't get caught on the shims. Then tighten them the same way I said before and keep an eye on the alignment as you tighten.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-01-2012 at 04:35 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Imti (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Quote:
Are you sure the stock pipe is bigger than the regular spec of 2.25 inches? My tips fit with the shims but no washers.

I wouldn't run with the bolts only and no shims. When you tighten them, the bolts focus pressure in one small spot, and your stock pipes may have indentations on them now from the bolts pressing against them. The force of the bolts only is not spread out enough for me to trust them gripping the pipe well and not falling off or getting misaligned. That's what the shims are for.

Try putting them on again with the shims but back the bolts ALL THE WAY OUT to the point where they are barely threaded, then push the shims outward as much as you can (without washers inbetween) and then gently slide/wiggle them on the stock pipe making sure the shims don't fall down. Use two hands and you may have to hold the shims in place as you're sliding the tip on so the edge of the stock pipe doesn't get caught on the shims. Then tighten them the same way I said before and keep an eye on the alignment as you tighten.
I did all of that unfortunately.

The problem doesn't seem to be the shims But the bolts. They are too small. When I tried inserting the tips with the shims/bolts on. The shins wouldn't go past the edges of the pipe. The bolts wouldn't let the shims go out further even when I U nscrewed them out to the end

I believe I may need to invest in some longer bolts. And I'll have to check on the size of the stock pipes

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #23
Cappuccino

Drives: 2012 Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car is looking good! Loving those location shots! Looks like a beautiful place!
Cappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappuccino For This Useful Post:
Imti (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_giado View Post
Nice car Imti! (a forum name suspiciously close to my real one

Congrats on the Firestorm, seems to be a very popular choice of colour in the UAE. FYI the recommended octane level is Super 98 on a ccount of the high compression. Might as well stick to the manufacturer's spec, it's not worth risking your warranty for the sake of a few dirhams less. Plus, this car is mindboggingly economical for a sports car....

Mine is now approaching 2000km. I think it's time for an owner's meet!
Haha, indeed. It does sound similar after finding your name on the blog.

I ordered an orange first. But somehow I got inclined to buy the red and I'm loving it. Been using Super98 from day one. But I'm a bit skeptical about the fuel consumption. I don't think it's as good as it is made out to be. Trip computer read 10litres/100km. That's roughly 22-23MPG I think. Another forum member has been hitting 31MPG. I'd wanna hit that number in Dubai. Nope, no spirited driving. Just city traffic. Perhaps that is to blame?

Yes, GT86 owner's meet! We have plenty of Dubai members posting now. Should be fun. I suggest good time would be when the weather cools down a bit. It's a killer nowadays with 45'C and above.

Quote:

I have now installed it as you recommended. Right side I was able to do without the washers. Shims and bolts both stretched far out, pushed the tips into the pipes, tighten, done. The left side I struggled for an hour before removing the right shim/bolt pattern and just installed it with the left and bottom shim/bolt pieces. I left the scene pretty confident unlike yesterday when I feared they may fall off at the first bump. Thanks for your help buddy!! :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
Car is looking good! Loving those location shots! Looks like a beautiful place!
Thanks! Dubai is gorgeous. A bit hot during these months but it's home. There are many more places I'd love to showcase my car if time n weather allow it.

Last edited by Imti; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Those shots by the creek look like post cards or some type of advertisment.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

BEFORE (Stock exhaust pipe = Eugh!)

AFTER (DC Sports EX 1012. Installed myself)

The Following User Says Thank You to Imti For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-05-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
Froylavin

Drives: GT86
Garage
Great Exhaust tips Imti. Do you have any idea if I can get similar delivered to Lebanon?

My car is still on the super ugly Middle-East lack of tips exhaust.
Froylavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froylavin View Post
Great Exhaust tips Imti. Do you have any idea if I can get similar delivered to Lebanon?

My car is still on the super ugly Middle-East lack of tips exhaust.
I got mine from US' Amazon.com and they should be able to deliver to your location I suppose.