follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #15
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
If you are mostly concerned about noise, I would suggest installing your header, OP and catback first. It seems that on these cars the front pipe is what keeps the noise level in check. Even the ultra-quiet front pipes will be louder than stock. Try out this setup and if you think you can handle more noise, then move forward with the front pipe replacement
Sorry for reviving a semi-dead post. I think I will do this, thanks for the information! I spoke to my friend who's straight piped about my situation. Living here in Oregon, we have DEQ checks every two years but I guess I'm settled on going with the Catless JDL UEL and just switch out to stock headers whenever DEQ check is needed. I don't mind noise as long as I'm not dealing with drone, which I heard the Perrin is good at eliminating. Thanks everyone!
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had a Tomei UEL, JDL ultra quiet over frontpipe (1 cat and 1 resonator in the front pipe), and Perrin's 3 inch. So it was very similar to what you were planning. If you plan to go FI, you'll most likely burn through/melt both cats eventually especially if you plan on tracking the car too. If it's just a DD, then a cat in the front pipe should be enough. But don't bother with a cat in the header.

But anyways, it sounded really nice. Loud-ish when you punched it, but subtle while cruising. It was actually not loud enough for my taste. So now I run the JDL turbo kit with their 3inch over front pipe, dual resonated, 0 cats, and the 3" dezod catback exhaust. The turbo acts as a muffler so it's definitely louder than the setup I previously had while supercharged, but it sounds deeper and has a nice boxer rumble to it.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Perrin 2.5" resonated with catted front pipe and P&L catted equal length header which is very similar to the JDL one. I have to get an overpipe still, but the setup sounds great; just loud enough without being obnoxious during acceleration, and quiet when cruising with no drone. This sounds clean, little to no rasp and you get the occasional fun little pop and burble here and there. The Perrin 2.5" system and catted front pipe are discontinued so you'd have to go used like I did or look for something similar (wouldn't hurt to ask Perrin how much louder the 3" is vs 2.5", I bet it's not much different). I hate the UEL sound on BRZ's personally, but that's just me.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #18
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have the JDL catless UEL and a 2.5" resonated Perrin catback. Perfect volume. Doesn't attract too much attention around town, but really sings when you're on it. I would love a few more decibels, but I'm sure replacing the stock FP/OP would do the trick.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
mgarcia707 (09-20-2018), TofuJoe (08-27-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:18 AM   #19
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehigh55 View Post
Sorry for reviving a semi-dead post. I think I will do this, thanks for the information! I spoke to my friend who's straight piped about my situation. Living here in Oregon, we have DEQ checks every two years but I guess I'm settled on going with the Catless JDL UEL and just switch out to stock headers whenever DEQ check is needed. I don't mind noise as long as I'm not dealing with drone, which I heard the Perrin is good at eliminating. Thanks everyone!
Currently running JDL UEL catless header, JDL 3 inch overpipe/front pipe combo with dual resonators and Perrin 3 inch resonated cat back exhaust. This set up is louder than my straight piped Invidia N1 exhaust I had before. I wanted it quieter, but this was not the way to go. The Perrin is raspy on throttle and drones like crazy in 6th gear.

My question is does anyone have any idea how to quiet this system down?
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #20
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin 3" resonated supposedly is comparably loud to 2.5" non resonated. I guess you should have gone 2.5" resonated route if lowering noise was goal. I'd probably sell off 3" to someone w/o catless header and get 2.5" one instead of trying to mod this. Or get some other exhaust from other vendor.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #21
Skyehigh55

Drives: 2017 Pure Red BRZ w/ Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoG View Post
Currently running JDL UEL catless header, JDL 3 inch overpipe/front pipe combo with dual resonators and Perrin 3 inch resonated cat back exhaust. This set up is louder than my straight piped Invidia N1 exhaust I had before. I wanted it quieter, but this was not the way to go. The Perrin is raspy on throttle and drones like crazy in 6th gear.

My question is does anyone have any idea how to quiet this system down?
I wonder how your exhaust would sound if the front pipe was catted/resonated instead of double resonated, since that’s the setup I was leaning towards. My thoughts were that having a cat+resonator in the front pipe would make the 3” bearable. I haven’t bought any pieces of this setup yet but any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Skyehigh55 is offline   Reply With Quote