follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #71
peri.Laynz

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
Supra handles like shit? Ok.
I wouldn't say it handles like shit, per se, but they do tend to have quite a bit of body roll. Personally I prefer going slightly slower at the top end but feeling more planted.
peri.Laynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #72
MrAmalto

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
370z shares same chassis as the maximas and was not built from the ground up like the frs.
The elise weighs 2000lbs.
Rotary is more reliable then your standard piston engine.

the only thing keeping the twins alive in sales is that it is cheap rwd sports car.
Rotary engines are definitely not more reliable than piston engines. While rotaries by nature have less moving parts they also depend on their apex seals, which are notorious for wearing more quickly than the rest of the engine.

Furthermore, I don't agree with your statement about the twins only selling because they're cheap rwd sports cars. (On a side note earlier you said the twins were "cheap rwd economy cars") While their price point and rwd are definitely major selling points you're overlooking a few things. If people were only looking at the fact that they're cheap rwd sports cars there would be no reason for them not to just go for miatas which are rwd and significantly cheaper. I'm pretty sure people are also attracted by the fact that they're lightweight (2800 pounds isn't lotus light but it is still about 900 pounds lights than a mustang) they've got a lower center of gravity than any car that costs less than 4x their price and they look pretty damn good. Not to mention general stuff like their relatively high fuel efficiency, safety features, fully defeatable traction control.
MrAmalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #73
peri.Laynz

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAmalto View Post
Rotary engines are definitely not more reliable than piston engines. While rotaries by nature have less moving parts they also depend on their apex seals, which are notorious for wearing more quickly than the rest of the engine.

Furthermore, I don't agree with your statement about the twins only selling because they're cheap rwd sports cars. (On a side note earlier you said the twins were "cheap rwd economy cars") While their price point and rwd are definitely major selling points you're overlooking a few things. If people were only looking at the fact that they're cheap rwd sports cars there would be no reason for them not to just go for miatas which are rwd and significantly cheaper. I'm pretty sure people are also attracted by the fact that they're lightweight (2800 pounds isn't lotus light but it is still about 900 pounds lights than a mustang) they've got a lower center of gravity than any car that costs less than 4x their price and they look pretty damn good. Not to mention general stuff like their relatively high fuel efficiency, safety features, fully defeatable traction control.
I also love the fact that there isn't a lot of fluff. The $24,000 you pay is money spent on performance for the most part.
peri.Laynz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peri.Laynz For This Useful Post:
MrAmalto (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #74
Demotic

Drives: 2013 FR-S, IS-300, 2004 VW R3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litemup View Post
Nah. Rebadging, to me, just reeks of insecurity over something even less important than a zit. Besides, the Scion logo looks cool.
I consider the scion line up (Except the hideous tC) perfect for high school girls or moms. Scion logo is also POS.
Demotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #75
litemup
Banned

Drives: around
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demotic View Post
I consider the scion line up (Except the hideous tC) perfect for high school girls or moms. Scion logo is also POS.
Sure, why not. I feel I've already wasted enough time even thinking about it.
litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to litemup For This Useful Post:
dnieves (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #76
stevethuro

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
I had two TC's before my FRS a 2005 and 2007 release series.

Things I miss about it:
1. The hatch back was the most.
2. Room.
3. Better middle console... but doesn't really matter.
4. The torque was awesome in those cars.
5. Glass roof.
6. Steering wheel controls

Things I don't Miss:

1. Windshield pillars were really big and hard to see around corners.
2. Crappy trunk latch that broke on my 2007.
3. Plastic ass dashboard.
4. Yellowing headlights & water damage tails... on the 2007.

Other than that it was an awesome car!

but the FRS is like a Dream!
1. Handles amazingly
2. Looks way better
3. Fun to drive
4. RWD!!!!

only thing I wish is it had a little more torque!

other than that I love my FRS!
stevethuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #77
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
370z shares same chassis as the maximas and was not built from the ground up like the frs.
The elise weighs 2000lbs.
Rotary is more reliable then your standard piston engine.

the only thing keeping the twins alive in sales is that it is cheap rwd sports car.

As the former owner of a RX7, the rotary engine due to it shear simplicity should be more reliable BUT it isn't:

Carbon build-up can cause the rotors to bind, when (not if) the apex seals goes you have no compression, and I don't miss having to frequently check and top off the engine oil (does this by design). I still love them but they're not perfect.

Last edited by dnieves; 08-06-2014 at 12:00 PM.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-01-2016)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #78
litemup
Banned

Quote:
Actually, the only thing keeping the twins alive in sales is that people are buying them.
The Following User Says Thank You to litemup For This Useful Post:
dnieves (03-01-2016)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #79
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litemup View Post
Actually, the only thing keeping the twins alive in sales is that people are buying them.

Isn't that true of any car? If you don't sell, you're outta here!
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #80
litemup
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Isn't that true of any car? If you don't sell, you're outta here!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #81
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
I never owned a TC but the only feature I like more than the twins is the moon roof.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #82
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I currently own both. tC is built motor and boosted track car that I drive on the streets still. FR-S is new to the family and is bone stock (for now).

SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #83
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Those with resources can put a turbo in a tC and make it fast on a *straight* line. Sounds fun but if you think about it, even a grandma can put a pedal to the metal.

Mine turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
There are parts out there but compared to the 86 market size, the tC2 is seriously lacking.

"Well" in what sense? For daily driving, canyons, autocross or track?

Not trying to spark something. I used to own a 2012 tC and it's just not something I enjoyed due to the issues I outlined in my other post.

The tC1 owns all the track records across the US for FWD. tC2 had a stellar welcoming and thus can never surpass what the tC1 has done.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #84
BobRickel

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I recently traded in my 2006 tC for a 2015 FRS. I'm only at about 600 miles on the FRS but so far I'm really enjoying it over the tC. First I'll address the points you asked:

1. I noticed right away even in my test drive the FRS does seem punchier than my tC. Both my tC and my FRS are auto. I also noticed there is less loss/gain of speed when using the cruise control going up and down hills.

2. Yes I do miss the trunk space and the almost pickup bed like room it has with the seats down. The FRS is still able to carry all that I carried before, which is quite a bit in my RC cars and planes hobbies, I just have to be better organized to fit it all in there.

3. My insurance actually went down about $.50 per year with the FRS due to having more safety features than the tC.

4. On good fill ups with the tC I would just barely reach 24mpg. I don't know what the average was but I'd guess I was averaging around 23.4ish. My FRS is showing an average of 23.2 now and is still increasing.

There are 2 things I miss most from the tC...I really miss having audio controls on the steering wheel and I kinda miss not having a center arm rest. I do find the door side arm rest and distance to the wheel to be more comfortable in the FRS so I'm getting use to not having a center arm rest. I've considered getting an aftermarket arm rest but then I'd lose the drink holders and I'm not as bothered about not having the arm rest as I thought I would be.

I owned a 2005 TC that I bought new and put 70k on. I would agree with the above quote. Both the TC and my FRS are A/T and the paddle shifters and 6 speed make for a much better car. I averaged 28mpg with my TC and am getting 32city and 36 hwy with the FRS. I agree about the armrest but bought an aftermarket one for the FRS. There is plenty of room with the back seats down but it is tight compared to the TC. I really never used the sunroof in the TC and it put out a lot of heat here in Florida. My TC had the ground effects and factory optional 18 inch enki rims and Perelli PZero tires and handled pretty well but nothing like the FRS. I have owned/restored 423 vehicles and the FRS is my ride of choice.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRickel For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2016)