follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Username

Drives: 6MT Raven FRS, Toyota SR5 V6 4x4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
US/North American Changes?

I hope that I am not wasting a thread on this, but it doesn't seem like it has been discussed yet.

Is anyone else worried that the US/North American version of the BRZ is going to be stripped down like the FRS is compared to the 86?

I do not want this to turn into a discussion of if is good or bad that the FRS is of a more economical build compaired to his JDM counter part, I just want your thoughts.

My worry comes from this line from a page on subaru's website.

http://www.subaru.com/brz/2013/artic...posts/brz-2013

"The U.S. production model will be unveiled at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show."

I am hoping this just means the side markers will not be clear and that the GPS will be optional, but what do you guys think?
Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
GSX

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No, if it was going to be stripped then the brz would cannibalize the scion sales.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Brody8877
Lurker

Drives: 93 Mazda RX-7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
I hope that I am not wasting a thread on this, but it doesn't seem like it has been discussed yet.

Is anyone else worried that the US/North American version of the BRZ is going to be stripped down like the FRS is compared to the 86?

I do not want this to turn into a discussion of if is good or bad that the FRS is of a more economical build compaired to his JDM counter part, I just want your thoughts.

My worry comes from this line from a page on subaru's website.

http://www.subaru.com/brz/2013/artic...posts/brz-2013

"The U.S. production model will be unveiled at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show."

I am hoping this just means the side markers will not be clear and that the GPS will be optional, but what do you guys think?

By the looks of the photo's from subaru's website, it has navi, push start, auto climate controls, does that make any you guys happier? Not gonna lie I like the subaru version more.
Brody8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nav- Subaru will charge 2-3X what it would cost aftermarket, push start? who cares. auto climate controls? Big whoop saves what a few seconds of manual adjusting. Id rather save a few grand and put in my own nav/audio. Although I do like the front of the BRZ better.
ahausheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Actually we have been discussing this in another thread, and we're hoping and from different sources we have put up. Pictures comparison for example that very few things will be change. WE hope that this will be true and that they wont charge us past the 25K point.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
subaruslow

Drives: subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Actually we have been discussing this in another thread, and we're hoping and from different sources we have put up. Pictures comparison for example that very few things will be change. WE hope that this will be true and that they wont charge us past the 25K point.
I'm fine with paying over 25k if i get exhaust/susp/susp braces/BREMBOS.
subaruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the US production model is obviously gonna be different. RHD vs LHD. battery/brake booster placements. HID cutoffs. Navigation and radio will be different obviously as well.

but realistically i dont see much change. unless subaru owners can chime in on their stories about USDM WRX/STI/Legacy vs their JDM counterparts.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Brody8877
Lurker

Drives: 93 Mazda RX-7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Nav- Subaru will charge 2-3X what it would cost aftermarket, push start? who cares. auto climate controls? Big whoop saves what a few seconds of manual adjusting. Id rather save a few grand and put in my own nav/audio. Although I do like the front of the BRZ better.
Not going to lie im spoiled by these luxury amenities, I wouldnt mine if I was getting another car as weekend fun/track car. As for the Nav I could careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruslow View Post
I'm fine with paying over 25k if i get exhaust/susp/susp braces/BREMBOS.

But yet again these can be all done aftermarket.
Brody8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Well What I mean is that if it starts around 25, I don't mean it to stop there. From different sources we're getting a premium and a limited and no base so premium will start around 25 the limited should be more I suppose and come with more. Not to mention the high possibility of an STI variant in a couple of years.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Brownboy

Drives: 05 Subaru Legacy, 13 GBS BRZ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
but realistically i dont see much change. unless subaru owners can chime in on their stories about USDM WRX/STI/Legacy vs their JDM counterparts.
That would actually be a bad indication, as USDM and JDM/EDM Subaru models have been vastly different in the past. Outside of the NA market, Subaru offers a LOT more choices in their cars. My Legacy for instance, came with much more options and variations available in the JDM and EDM. Even the bumpers were different due to the previous 5mph bumper beam laws. The JDM/EDM stuff made the US's nicer-than-a-camry-but-not-quite Acura territory car a true near-luxury competitor.
Brownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
subaruslow

Drives: subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownboy View Post
That would actually be a bad indication, as USDM and JDM/EDM Subaru models have been vastly different in the past. Outside of the NA market, Subaru offers a LOT more choices in their cars. My Legacy for instance, came with much more options and variations available in the JDM and EDM. Even the bumpers were different due to the previous 5mph bumper beam laws. The JDM/EDM stuff made the US's nicer-than-a-camry-but-not-quite Acura territory car a true near-luxury competitor.
yeah well we also got the 2.5 liter, as well as standard hid's on sti.

Basically subaru generally offers a performance specialized model of it's sti variants that the US doesn't ever get, however we definitely get most of the options like hid's etc, also we do get their limited, leather heated seats blah blah. This car is also very geared at the us from the start where the impreza did not catch on here mainstream for a while, so I would not worry about what options we get. Also scion does quite a bit of racing in the US with the crapo TC's, so I imagine we will see most performance parts available in the US.
subaruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
Craikeybaby

Drives: Mazda MX-5 NC
I think it is good that there will be 2 versions in each market, hopefully they won't be pitched against each other. In the UK it looks like the Toyota will be the higher spec one, so hopefully Subaru is more stripped down/sporty.
Craikeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The side markers will be amber and not clear on the US model

If the rumors of premium and limited editions are true what are the expected differences between the two? Just the nav and leather?
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
LionZoo

Drives: 2006 Mazda RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
If the rumors of premium and limited editions are true what are the expected differences between the two? Just the nav and leather?
Heated seats maybe?
LionZoo is offline   Reply With Quote