follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Extremly hot inatke manifold temp!

Hello Gents,

I have very confusing heat issue in my car! I have noticed a month ago my cabin is kind of hot, but I was thinking maybe because of summer season. Any way, 2 weeks ago, I was in my car idling for about 20 min when my AC compressor shut off and hot air started to come out from cabin vents.
So I checked that AC, all ok. Freon is within range, compressor sound is normal, condenser ok, and fans ok too.
Coolant level is full too.

So just today I plugged in the obd2 and checked all temps!
Outside temp is 104F, and kept my car idling for 20 min, AC on. Here is what shocked me!
Coolant temp was stable all the time at 194F
Intake manifold temp kept rising so fast within 20 min reached 194F !!!!!

That's crazy hot, I have never seen this much anytime before!!!

My car have UEL exhaust with full heat wrap, OFT stage 2, Misimoto dual fan and shroud, and have oil cooler..... its been this way for 5 years did not change anything!

what could be the issue ? all temps are normal range, except for really crazy intake air temp
Old 09-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #2
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BTW, I remember I was logging my intake manifold temp 3 years ago at summer time, and I remember it was 120F while idling for over 1 hour.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
That's the weak point with my setup but I have adjusted my driving style so that I avoid congestion and traffic and maybe also don't go any distance on really hot days unless it's all highway without stop and go. You could wrap the intake with gold foil where the MAFsensor is located but the car needs to move and the butterfly valve needs to be open with air moving to keep heat buildup near the MAF sensor, which on my particular setup is an aluminum tube.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
That sensor is integrated into the MAF sensor, sneak a temp probe into the intake elbow, or point an IR thermometer on it to confirm the performance of the sensor. When you've got sensors reading stuff that makes no sense, it's easiest to start by finding out if it's true or not.

If the sensor is telling the truth, test hood open, hood closed, while driving. If the sensor and it's circuit aren't faulty then the only way to read that high is to be roasting the air filter. Check that your air filter housing is correctly connected to the intake snorkel which grabs air inside the front bumper, if it's disconnected you'll be sucking in toasty air from above the radiator, and idling without airflow and subject to the rising heat from the exhaust, that can get properly warm. Also confirm that the air filter housing is properly closed, these types of air boxes are easy to leave disengaged at the bottom, that would leave a nice big gap at the bottom for it to grab hot air.

Last edited by RZNT4R; 09-02-2021 at 01:23 PM.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-02-2021), zc06_kisstherain (09-02-2021)