follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #393
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Yes! Anthony was the guy I was thinking of. Thanks!

Crazy bugger. I use both the threads above as a reference.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #394
wheelspeed
Large Member

Drives: Ford Flex, ZX9R, FLHTCUi, DRZ400S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for those two links.

I kinda hate to bring it up, because I love the light-weighting idea, and as a motorcyclist, I don't mind being responsible for repercussions of my driving, but I worry if there is ever the day that an insurance company could refuse vehicle or even health payments if an owner removed airbags, removed the side-impact-enforced doors, etc.
new2subaru (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #395
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
Thank you for those two links.

I kinda hate to bring it up, because I love the light-weighting idea, and as a motorcyclist, I don't mind being responsible for repercussions of my driving, but I worry if there is ever the day that an insurance company could refuse vehicle or even health payments if an owner removed airbags, removed the side-impact-enforced doors, etc.

There's lots of ways to reduce the weight of the vehicle before removing any safety items.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:00 AM   #396
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I truly hate Nissan's Z cars and I thought finally someone's going to point out what a bloated, fat pig of a platform it is, but no, this clown here is complaining about it not being innovative enough in a world switching to EVs

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opi...nd-v6-disguise
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #397
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
I truly hate Nissan's Z cars and I thought finally someone's going to point out what a bloated, fat pig of a platform it is, but no, this clown here is complaining about it not being innovative enough in a world switching to EVs

Guy is in witch hunt mode.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #398
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It's weird. His complaints about the new Z are that its platform, engine, and transmission are old. Then he says he'd prefer the Emira, a car you could say the exact same things about. I'm disappointed in both those "new" cars for not being new but when you also throw the BRZ in there I guess it's obvious there's no money right now to create a fresh ICE sports car chassis.
It's also extra weird that he doesn't consider price and is comparing a $40,000 car with a $90,000 car.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #399
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'm not sure where you're coming from but the Z isn't meant to be a scalpel. It's the Japanese Mustang and does its job fairly well but isn't perfect (lack of LSD, crappy factory brakes, inadequate cooling, etc.).

The new Z actually addresses some of this (proper mechanical LSD in the higher trim) and MAYBE some of the cooling? The latter won't be known until people start hitting the long term testing.

The article seems to try to "swim against the current" for the sake of being unique. Way too early to be disappointed but man I lost a few IQ points scratching my head after reading this article.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:55 PM   #400
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
I'm interested in the future opportunity to lightweight a BRZ, within reason.

Did someone say you can drop 20# just with some 2-piece rotors for the front? Or is that rotors + aluminum calipers to drop 20#?

And, I haven't heard any mention of the rims on the Limited being forged. Is it likely to be able to drop about 5#/wheel going aftermarket? (Pittsburgh roads and winters are horrible so I could see myself selling off the stock 18"ers that come with the Limited to pick up some 17"ers and all-season tires.)
The AP sprint kit drops almost 22 lbs, but that is rotors and calipers. Throw in a lightweight battery and rear seat delete, and you can pull like 80 lbs out of the car without doing dumb stuff like gutting the interior or removing your AC.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
stilesg57 (09-14-2021), wheelspeed (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #401
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I'm not sure where you're coming from but the Z isn't meant to be a scalpel. It's the Japanese Mustang and does its job fairly well but isn't perfect (lack of LSD, crappy factory brakes, inadequate cooling, etc.).

The new Z actually addresses some of this (proper mechanical LSD in the higher trim) and MAYBE some of the cooling? The latter won't be known until people start hitting the long term testing.

The article seems to try to "swim against the current" for the sake of being unique. Way too early to be disappointed but man I lost a few IQ points scratching my head after reading this article.
Zs have always had the option of a LSD. It’s a viscous one that sucks, but it does do it’s job when new.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #402
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
New BRZ vs Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
Zs have always had the option of a LSD. It’s a viscous one that sucks, but it does do it’s job when new.

Viscous LSDs are garbage IMO . Not offering a helical diff at the very least is an affront to customers who actually want a sports car. If Subaru can offer one standard on the BRZ, Nissan can pony up for one on the Z. Mazda had one standard on the RX8. Both are significantly cheaper than their contemporary Z’s.

That’s always been one of my biggest criticisms of BMW too, they never put a proper diff in their cars, until now that the e-diffs are widely available.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 09-14-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:20 PM   #403
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Viscous LSDs are garbage IMO . Not offering a helical diff at the very least is an affront to customers who actually want a sports car. If Subaru can offer one standard on the BRZ, Nissan can pony up for one on the Z. Mazda had one standard on the RX8. Both are significantly cheaper than their contemporary Z’s.

That’s always been one of my biggest criticisms of BMW too, they never put a proper diff in their cars, until now that the e-diffs are widely available.
Trust me, I know just how crap they are lol. It's hilarious how they become completely open when old or hot.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #404
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Quote:

Ooof don’t get me started on the open diff Bimmers.

It was ok in the NA days of the E36 and E46, but insane since they moved to turbocharging. I’m eyeing a 240 right now but hate signing up for a $3k expense right out the gate with an already overpriced used car. These are 350wtq cars for godsakes — it’s borderline criminal to hobble them with a peg leg.

Sure makes me glad the Twins come with a good one right out of the box, especially if FI is in the cards.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stilesg57 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #405
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
Viscous don't really count IMHO given it dies fairly quick.

At least the twins have a Torsen.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #406
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

The M cars always had proper diffs IIRC. A proper diff vs using the rear brakes is likely not a concern for someone leasing a cheap BMW to make themselves look like they have money.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (09-15-2021)