follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #15
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
They should have made wheels an option.
There's literally no reason that the base model has to come with 17's and the premium trim has to come with 18s.

Oh, and that applies to the duckbill spoiler too.
No reason other than upper trim models have been a standard in the automotive world for something like a hundred years?

I'm glad the base model is an option as I think the 18's are ugly and don't want the big spoiler, so I'm happy not to pay for either of 'em.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #16
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Okay, so the 1st gen shipped with summer tires that were all kinds of bad in cold temperatures.
1st gens also shipped with All Seasons.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #17
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
No reason other than upper trim models have been a standard in the automotive world for something like a hundred years?

I'm glad the base model is an option as I think the 18's are ugly and don't want the big spoiler, so I'm happy not to pay for either of 'em.
Oh, I wasn't questioning the idea of upper trim vs lower trim level.

I was trying to emphasize that there are certainly things that are harder to change between a base trim car
and a premium trim car (interior materials, heated seats, BSMS, extra speakers),
and then there are wheels and clip-on exterior part that can be swapped between cars in one hour.

If only the dealer agreed to swap things with the base car upon request,
and give some buyer of a base trim car get an "complimentary upgrade" car
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Dake (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #18
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
The base doesnt have ultrasuede touch points?
Nope. Biggest selling point of the Base for me. Followed by the wheel/tire situation.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #19
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
Nope. Biggest selling point of the Base for me. Followed by the wheel/tire situation.
Really.....

I should try to watch vids of the base models being reviewed....i never noticed that.

I doubt its real suede (In the 86 its "Granluxe" fake suede material, im guessing its the same stuff in the GR86). So it might wear better.
I actually think it enhances the ambience abit.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #20
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post

I doubt its real suede (In the 86 its "Granluxe" fake suede material, im guessing its the same stuff in the GR86). So it might wear better.
I actually think it enhances the ambience abit.

All this talk about how Alcantara/Granluxe wears has me scratching my head. Don't you people maintain the condition of your interior just as well as the exterior? I love the comments when people say dark interiors don't get as dirty as light interiors. They sure do, you just can't see the dirt as easily. Don't remember the last time I had a non-leather interior but I always cared for it just the same.
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #21
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
So the issue with waiting until spring is that if they're slashing production there's a good chance they sell out before then, or at least of the exact model/color I want. For a number of reasons too lengthy to go into, I need a particular combo of features.

It'd be nice if we could mix/match with more freedom, but that's not a thing.

The reason I ask about the tires is that I was wanting to find out specifically what temperature the stock tires become brittle, so I can gauge whether I need to buy and bring a full set of new wheels/tires to the dealership just to drive it home, or if I can drive carefully (good weather, just a bit cold) and do the swap at home.

I'm more than slightly annoyed that Toyota would actually deliver a car to a customer in weather that it's entirely unsafe to drive it in, but I don't work for their liability department so it's not my job to make them less stupid.

And it's mildly annoying that I'll have to buy a whole set of rubber just to drive the car from the start - I'd been hoping to get a month or two of driving in before it got cold enough need the all-season tires, and thus spread the total cost of the car out enough that it doesn't hit all at once (for wife happiness reasons).

So next question: since I'm getting the Premium (no way around that) that comes on 18" wheels does it matter significantly if the all-seasons are on 17" or 18" wheels?

Also, any wheel recommendations? I'm fine with the idea of some cheap steelies since this is the car's "winter boots" and I don't care too much how stylish they are, but if there's something decently non-ugly for a similar price that would be worth considering.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
All this talk about how Alcantara/Granluxe wears has me scratching my head. Don't you people maintain the condition of your interior just as well as the exterior? I love the comments when people say dark interiors don't get as dirty as light interiors. They sure do, you just can't see the dirt as easily. Don't remember the last time I had a non-leather interior but I always cared for it just the same.
I personally love the Alcantara material and think it greatly enhances the interior. IMO, significantly over the base trim material, and a good bit over leather.

I've had my BRZ for about 3 years now, with at least every other day use. I drive to work and back for over an hour and in hot days, I get pretty freaking sweaty in work clothes - particularly in all areas that are up against the seat. Every half year, all I have done is vacuumed my seats at BEST. The Alcantara is still looking brand new.

From reading I've done, they often mention suede materials being fairly easy to maintain in comparison to leather, much like cloth. This is probably based on the type of material specifically, as various suedes are made, but in any case it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #23
StE92ve

Quote:

The reason I ask about the tires is that I was wanting to find out specifically what temperature the stock tires become brittle, so I can gauge whether I need to buy and bring a full set of new wheels/tires to the dealership just to drive it home, or if I can drive carefully (good weather, just a bit cold) and do the swap at home.
This is a good explanation: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273
Old 08-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
StE92ve

Quote:
So next question: since I'm getting the Premium (no way around that) that comes on 18" wheels does it matter significantly if the all-seasons are on 17" or 18" wheels?

If you're going to have a set of winter tires and it snows much in your location, instead of all seasons, I would get a set of snow tires. Also depends if you "have" to drive in snowy conditions. I have the option to stay put during a snow storm and they clear the roads rather quickly after it stops so for me, all seasons are sufficient.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #25
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
since I'm getting the Premium (no way around that) that comes on 18" wheels does it matter significantly if the all-seasons are on 17" or 18" wheels?
I think you have that backwards. The Premium is on 17" and the Limited on 18"
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
StE92ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I think you have that backwards. The Premium is on 17" and the Limited on 18"
Nope, for 2022, there is only base w/17" Primacy and Premium w/18" Pilot Sport 4
The Following User Says Thank You to StE92ve For This Useful Post:
Spektyr (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #27
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
try not to get confused.
The GR86 is base and premium.
The BRZ is premium and limited (i think)

so Premium on Toyota is the high trim, Premium on BRZ is low trim.

And the suede wear i dont think its as bad as it seems. Its only really horrible on steering wheels because...well you touch the damn thing all the time. And the twins are leather wrapped.

The other touch points? You dont even touch all that often (well except the seats, but all seats wear except cloth) The door armrest is the leather material, the upper door portion where you might rest your elbow with the window open is suede. The dash pod over the gauge cluster is suede but how often do you touch that? Kneepads are leather(ette). On the first gen the long dash surround/trim on the dash face is suede which looks nicer than a big piece of plastic it started off with. On the second gen the design is different so its not even there its just plastic. Upper dash is soft touch material (is the second gen the same rubberish texture stuff as in the first gen?), lower dash is plastic.

Toyota/Subaru just made sure any points of touch that DO get touch the most often are of a soft touch material rather than hard plastic.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
All this talk about how Alcantara/Granluxe wears has me scratching my head. Don't you people maintain the condition of your interior just as well as the exterior?
It’s not a cleaning issue; it’s a wear issue. The alcantara/ultrasuede/whatever you want to call it (there are some formulation differences I’m sure but I don’t want to risk finding out) falls apart, beads up, and looks terrible pretty quickly when skin rubs directly on it for very long. I really don’t want it on the top of my door panel since I love hanging my arm out the window there. The seats might fare better, but also might not and from my perspective why risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I personally love the Alcantara material and think it greatly enhances the interior. IMO, significantly over the base trim material, and a good bit over leather.

I've had my BRZ for about 3 years now, with at least every other day use. I drive to work and back for over an hour and in hot days, I get pretty freaking sweaty in work clothes - particularly in all areas that are up against the seat. Every half year, all I have done is vacuumed my seats at BEST. The Alcantara is still looking brand new.

From reading I've done, they often mention suede materials being fairly easy to maintain in comparison to leather, much like cloth. This is probably based on the type of material specifically, as various suedes are made, but in any case it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
I agree it looks great and really spruces up the appearance of what is otherwise an econo interior, and maybe you’re right that THIS version will be fine, but personally I’m once bitten twice shy and definitely not inclined to pay extra for the privilege.

Do an image search for BMW ZHP steering wheel wear and you’ll see some of the horrors that I lived through Or look at pictures of the armrests on microsuede couches that were all the rage a couple years ago.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote