follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #29
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
As the OP, I would like to respond to @strat61caster,and let him know I do sometimes respond to utter nonsense or disparaging statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
My intent is that you and OP appear to think you know better than Toyota's engineers, Subarus engineers, experienced and respected journalists, racing drivers, enthusiasts, tuning and aftermarket companies, and a huge chunk of trusted drivers education and training materials by blaming the tires for the behavior you experienced.
***Please cite sources where I blamed tires for my accident.***

Even though it's beside the point, you have no damned idea what tires I have on my car or their condition.

I can guarantee that no Toyota engineer, Subaru engineer, racer, or drivers education peeps had anything to do with them, and, if examined by them, would not only not sign off, but run the other way.

Again, that's a little evidence you may be assuming a bit much in your holier than thou post.

I did NOT blame the accident on the tires, ever. At worst, they simply didn't make the situation easier.

So again, ***please cite sources*** (or to make it simpler, just one source in context) of when I said the tires were to blame. If you can't, maybe not accuse me of such bullshit? Think you might be able to handle something like that? Thanks.

Quote:
Yes it's possible to get the ass end out in a stock 86, I did it many times myself.
Wow, really? Thanks! I'm such a noob at driving, I couldn't tell at all. I mean if it even happens to you...clearly!

Quote:
key there is "I did it", not the tires, not the road conditions, not the suspension design: me. The nut behind the wheel is in full control, placing blame elsewhere is dumb.
If you're going to disparage my skills, knowledge, honesty, or intent, etc. again, you better have proof or ***sources*** of what you believe I said.

I'm not on this freakin' car forum to have flame wars with immature people who have no idea how to conduct themselves, or even read and interpret other people's words.

Quote:
Sure the car can be improved, but to imply there's something dangerous or wrong with the car in stock form is foolishness imo.
Again, broken record, you really need to learn to ***cite sources***. I don't even believe this car is inherently dangerous or anything wrong with it, so why on earth would I say it?? Jeez

I've talked about it in multiple threads over the last few days (at the obviously real risk of getting trashed and made fun of, and that's fine. I know when I do something wrong, and when I don't). I'm assuming you know about multiple threads since you believe you know what I say and think, but I'll say it unequivocally, again. This time, feel free to use it as a future source. I'll even separate it so it's easier to copy.

***Source***
This accident/crash/whatever, was absolutely my fault, and I made multiple mistakes that led up to it.

I had traction control completely off (except the pedal dance). No reason to do that on the streets. I was driving too fast. I was not familiar with that corner at those speeds. And, unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what, it happened fast, but I'm sure I made multiple driving mistakes right before, and during the spin. I've taken motorcycle racing education and schools, but not cars yet. To make it clear strat, I understand both machines have tires and many of the same controls, brakes, throttle, steering mechanism, etc, but these machines operate very differently and have different emergency avoidance procedures.

I will say, and strat, don't take this out of context, but I know for a fact this would have been less likely to have happened with different tires than I had. That's just like saying though it would have been less likely to happen if I was going a reasonable speed, or if I had traction control completely turned on, or if I was a better driver, whatever.

So, let me know when you get those sources strat. Until then, troll someone else.

Have a wonderful day!

All we know is.... He's called The Stig

Last edited by FNCrazy; 07-27-2016 at 08:06 PM.
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #30
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Oh and just to remind people, I started this thread with the words "So I ran out of talent." Yeah, so there's that.

Now I'm not in as good of a mood anymore, thanks strat!

Lol

Old 07-28-2016, 01:16 AM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@FNCrazy that post that you took offense to was directed at @Calum I did not intend to slander.

As for why I came to the conclusions I did, here are the highlights:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
So I ran out of talent, coincidentally with all traction control off on my car with shitty tires, but really, I just lost talent.
Quote:
Thanks! Well, I like oversteer, but this snap oversteer thing I wasn't fond of. I'll be replacing my tires with non-shitty ones, so I'd probably lean towards a touch more oversteer, and removing my traction control turn off buttons from the car and put in my garage.
Quote:
Tires, required, going to spend a little on those to get really good ones.
I wasn't the only person who got a similar impression out of your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Better tires isnt the solution. All that means is you will have more speed when you run out of talent next time.

Prius tires are actually good for that exact reason
I've seen @Calum post similar things for years about the OE tires which is what prompted my post along with your sentiments of upgrading the car. Again, that post was written for Calum because he asked the question, if it was targeted at you I would have quoted or mentioned you. I have nothing else to say about your personal situation other than I hope you get your car back soon in tip top shape and you enjoy driving it hard.

Last edited by strat61caster; 07-28-2016 at 01:28 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #32
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
So I ran out of talent, coincidentally with all traction control off on my car with shitty tires, but really, I just lost talent. I crashed/wrecked/bumped my car a few days ago. Oversteer, countersteer, snap oversteer the other way into some fun little 60mph spins until I hit a curb square on the passenger side.
So you crashed your car and now thinking about aftermarket parts? The chances by throwing random parts here and there is to have an even more dangerous car. I would suggest to focus more on your accident and think how you can improve yourself. Especially how to drive on public streets and in general what are the car's limits. Next time you might not be so lucky ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #33
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
You call him and the OP out specifically. I'm assuming OP still stands for original poster, yes? Hi, that's me!

First, I've never even been on OEM tires, so I don't like or dislike them. I was talking about *mine*.

I also never said I gave them a glorious review, I definitely don't like them, and did say they were shitty. If you were here I'm sure you'd agree.

The tricky part though, was where was I laying blame?

Ill just do the first of your quotes of my quotes... If that makes any damn sense.

In that sentence YOU quoted I said not once, but twice, that I had ran out of talent (I said that when someone asked what happened). First, at the very beginning, then I mentioned I had traction control off and shitty tires (which are two facts by the way, not used as excuses), and finished the sentence as in reality, I just ran out of talent.

That says to you I blame the tires??? OK... I don't see it, but it's all good.

I'm out. I have no idea what this little tire war y'all got going is, but I want no part of it.

Peace.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 AM   #34
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound that rude. Just a stressful day and shorter fuse than normal.

Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when people don't take responsibility for their actions and blame everything else.

So, for someone to insinuate that about me kinda hit a button.

I have tried very hard each time I've talked about this on the forum to make sure people realize I know I screwed up, and take full responsibility for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to FNCrazy For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 AM   #35
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
So you crashed your car and now thinking about aftermarket parts? The chances by throwing random parts here and there is to have an even more dangerous car. I would suggest to focus more on your accident and think how you can improve yourself. Especially how to drive on public streets and in general what are the car's limits. Next time you might not be so lucky ...
Wow, I just need to stay out of this thread I think. Lol.

Yes, I talked about replacing some parts with aftermarket. And? I believe we wouldn't have a forum without aftermarket. Aftermarket and fast/crazy/dangerous aren't synonyms.

Who said anything about throwing random parts here and there anyway?

I talked to people on these forums, and 3 racers about what, if anything, I should switch to aftermarket while it's torn apart. We put our heads together and sat down to get all crazy and shit, lob some parts around, see what happens.

The conclusion we came to, to really crazy it up, was a set of LCA's if I decide later down the road I'd like to adjust the rear camber a bit, and possibly a cat back exhaust if I can find a used one I like, since the oem will need to be removed anyway.

Not exactly lobbing parts around to see what happens, or even adjust the handling to dial out my lack of talent.

I've already said how stupid, dangerous, and completely unlike my normal demeanor to act like that. Said it many times on the forum.

Also, I said before and after that I planned on taking high speed driving classes, two of them, up at PIR. I just needed to, wait for it, finish wearing these tires out so I could go to the track with safe ones. Also save money of course.

Anyway, yeah, you can judge me if you want too. I had the balls to post the opposite of cockiness, bordering on self-deprecation, online for the "world" to see my mistakes.

I'm done making excuses. I fucked up, I am attempting to make sure it never happens again, I haven't lied, have taken responsibility for my actions, and took the high road for all but you last two that have piled on. Guess what? I'm not as bad a driver as I let on to be. It's just easier than trying to Internet race. I've driven exotic cars all over the world, gone to motorcycle racing schools, set pretty good lap times on bikes if I do say so myself. I was being cocky by turning off traction control, no doubt. The real reason for the spin was less cockiness and more not paying good enough attention to what I was doing.

Again, my fault. Feel better now? Now I've got to get back and start throwing random aftermarket gear at my car to make me a better driver.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 AM   #36
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The internet can be a cruel place. I think you've got the right attitude. Keep your chin up and get out to an event.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-28-2016), new2subaru (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 AM   #37
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
The internet can be a cruel place. I think you've got the right attitude. Keep your chin up and get out to an event.
Wow, thank you. I appreciate that.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
snip
I'm really not sure why you feel the need to call me out on this, but if you feel the need to have a tiff with someone go find someone who cares.

I'm not going to stop driving, and modding my car to make me faster, because you think I should adapt to the machine and not the other way around. I'm not racing, I'm not following a rule book, I'm enjoying myself. And to me, that means making the machine work better for my driving style and abilities. Not once have I said the engineers didn't do a good job. I've been very clear that I know my abilities are feeble and that I'm trying to make a great car work better FOR ME.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #39
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I talked about replacing some parts with aftermarket. And? I believe we wouldn't have a forum without aftermarket. Aftermarket and fast/crazy/dangerous aren't synonyms.

You don't get it eh? I am not negative with aftermarket parts. There are also excellent choises, although many times is really difficult to keep the good balance of the car. Fact is that we are not car designers or engineers, nor is the majority of racers or local garages. Very few people have a clear understanding of car dynamics and chassis development. Also keep in mind that if you install racing parts in your car, then the car will be even less forgiving. You'll have a more dangerous car that will be suitable mainly for racing and more dangerous to drive in public roads. My suggestion is to learn from your mistakes and try to improve first yourself as a driver. When you feel you hit the limits of the factory car, then start thinking about changes.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #40
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You can also replace the front top hats while you're at it to adjustable aftermarket ones. When you drive on tracks regularly, you feel a lot less inclined to drive fast on the streets and keep things well below the limit. So sign up for all the track days!
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infinity21 For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (07-28-2016), wparsons (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #41
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
So I ran out of talent, coincidentally with all traction control off on my car with shitty tires, but really, I just lost talent. I crashed/wrecked/bumped my car a few days ago. Oversteer, countersteer, snap oversteer the other way into some fun little 60mph spins until I hit a curb square on the passenger side.

did you armor all your tire treads ? lol
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #42
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
What the fuck happened in here? I haven't seen a post dissolve into pure crap this far, this fast in a long time. Can we just back to our regularly scheduled program of maintaining a modicum of respect for each other?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (07-29-2016)