follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #169
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You guys act like invoice is a made up thing or impossible to find. It’s neither. It’s practically public knowledge. And while they are pretty close, id rather not pay any more than I have to for a car that I’m waiting for and not even test driving. The dealer is providing exactly zero value to me and I would like to compensate them accordingly (they’re already getting holdbacks on a car they don’t have to market).

My preferred quick invoice/msrp comparison: https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/...?trimid=421751

Option out your build and have fun seeing what you’re paying vs what you should be

This whole mess tells me the better decision is to just get a beater that’ll last a year and half or so and let the market settle.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:45 AM   #170
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilesg57 View Post
You guys act like invoice is a made up thing or impossible to find. It’s neither. It’s practically public knowledge. And while they are pretty close, id rather not pay any more than I have to for a car that I’m waiting for and not even test driving. The dealer is providing exactly zero value to me and I would like to compensate them accordingly (they’re already getting holdbacks on a car they don’t have to market).

My preferred quick invoice/msrp comparison: https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/...?trimid=421751

Option out your build and have fun seeing what you’re paying vs what you should be

This whole mess tells me the better decision is to just get a beater that’ll last a year and half or so and let the market settle.
That's nice and all, but for them, why would they not sell to the next guy willing to pay MSRP? It's a new car. I'm sure there are enough people out there to buy up the first allocations.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:07 AM   #171
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Quote:

I looked. I paid 105 over invoice. Now I feel like I fucked them over during a time where they aren't making any money.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanceLane174 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #172
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Quote:

Have you tried buying ANY new car recently? Invoice or discounts depends on supply and demand. Right now due to shortages, demand is exceeding supply. Yes you might find one at invoice, but it's unlikely that a dealer will give one to you at invoice when the next guy will pay MSRP. Most cars on the ground are selling over MSRP right now.

I'm not saying invoice is impossible, it's just not likely in the current market. Six months ago? Sure. Six months from now? I don't have a crystal ball, but maybe.

I generally don't set foot in a dealer, I negotiate online and have even purchased cars hundreds of miles away if it means saving thousands. in the current climate, nobody is discounting heavily. Dealers typically use a metric measuring how long cars are sitting on the lot (average number), that number is the lowest it's been in years if not decades. They have no reason to sell something to you at a discount when the next guy will happily pay top dollar.

The problem goes deeper. Some people NEED a vehicle right now, others just WANT a vehicle right now. Either way, Joe Customer walks in, asks the dealer how much for the shiny car on the lot, the dealer says, MSRP + 2K, Joe is about to walk, but then the dealer says "let's see how much your trade is worth?". Used car prices are through the roof, so Joe's car that would normally be worth $15k is now worth $20k. The dealer convinces Joe that he's coming out ahead due to the high trade-in even with the markup.

I've been watching the used market closely and while it started cooling about a month ago, new shortages due to chip plant closures in Asia have kept things where they are. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US, drive around some of the mega dealers, they have used cars parked where the new cars are supposed to be and have rows and rows of empty parking lot. The shortage doesn't benefit the dealers as much as you'd think, they're used to selling X amount of cars per month but now they're selling 0.25X while their overheads don't change much. It's benefitting the manufacturers since they don't need to offer rebates.

You're going to overpay for the beater because the used car market sucks too, then you have maintenance and repairs because it's a beater, and since the used market will inevitably drop, you'll lose a bit on it when you sell. $1500-2000 (difference between invoice/MSRP on the BRZ) doesn't seem bad to avoid all that hassle. If I was looking at a car with $10k of markup I might think differently, but the small delta on the BRZ isn't that significant in the scheme of things.

Last edited by MisterGoober; 09-25-2021 at 02:20 AM.
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGoober For This Useful Post:
Simmons (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 05:25 AM   #173
Fingat

Drives: 22 BRZ (WRB)
Ordered a WRB 6MT LIM, yesterday (9/24), MSRP, 1k deposit, refundable, will be applied to the purchase. Est arrival Feb I forgot to ask how many orders they have already.
Fingat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #174
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
That's nice and all, but for them, why would they not sell to the next guy willing to pay MSRP? It's a new car. I'm sure there are enough people out there to buy up the first allocations.
all the pre-planning on the purchasers part doesn't really prevent dealers from doing whatever the hell they want. and once they know they got a live one on the line with a reservation...

https://jalopnik.com/ford-dealers-ar...wit-1847690531
Old 09-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #175
stilesg57

Drives: Shopping Mustang GTs and BRZs/86s
I love how every time I post something on this thread responding to one issue someone jumps in to make a different point by regurgitating almost exactly what I already said/discussed 2pgs ago.
stilesg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #176
soundman98

Quote:
I love how every time I post something on this thread responding to one issue someone jumps in to make a different point by regurgitating almost exactly what I already said/discussed 2pgs ago.
welcome to the story of life.
stilesg57 (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #177
CaptainFenderbaum

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
welcome to the story of life.
I said that before you ever did.
CaptainFenderbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #178
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFenderbaum View Post
I said that before you ever did.
it was supposed to be ironic given the complaint
Old 09-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #179
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sapphire Blue, Limited, 6MT (of course), No options - Options will have to be Christmas and Birthday gifts.
I hope I like it because I have never owned or test driven a BRZ or 86. I have done a lot of firsts today. I have never bought a new car nor have I ever ordered one. I have never joined a form either. I'm glad to be part of the community.

Last edited by PhatFreshPrince; 09-26-2021 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding more info
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (09-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #180
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
lol, I might be looking to do the same thing LanceLane. I'm hoping that, with the pricepoint, plenty of young guys will be spinning into a curb and need a wheel. Well, not "hoping" ill will on anyone, but, you know... wheels will be needed.
I might buy one and put it in the wheel well as a spare if it will fit.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #181
sds

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
Can any of you share the dealers you've been able to place an order at? So far, I'm having some trouble in New England...
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #182
jakeobie

Drives: RX-7, Soon to be 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
Can any of you share the dealers you've been able to place an order at? So far, I'm having some trouble in New England...

Well, not sure if you can work out shipping it or something but I got mine from Kirby Subaru of Ventura in Ventura, CA. Great experience so far!
jakeobie is offline   Reply With Quote