follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #15
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You think track only cars and race cars don't drive in the rain too?

for track you may compromise comfort for performance, and you should adapt your car to the track and environment anyway theoretically
but having to find a way to block rain going into air inlet before driving to the grocery with your DD sounds stupid to me
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Alfs (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

As someone who has one of these and daily drives it year round. This is a non-issue, I have driven to see family and gotten into PNW rain storms with no issue. The only way I could see it being an issue is if you submerged the intake underwater.

I don't get why everyone is a critic.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
Alfs (03-27-2021), PulsarBeeerz (03-29-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
As someone who has one of these and daily drives it year round. This is a non-issue, I have driven to see family and gotten into PNW rain storms with no issue. The only way I could see it being an issue is if you submerged the intake underwater.

I don't get why everyone is a critic.
That was not what I was commenting on but okay
Old 03-27-2021, 01:00 AM   #18
Alfs

Drives: Mr.Happy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:

It's much easier for a race car team to adjust their set up to accommodate the weather condition than a DD commuter to do it; for things like setting up a water-proof/dust-proof CAI will not cost them more than 5 mins, replacing the rear diff case just under a couple of mins, etc.

Then, how could it be possible to expect Joe Bloggs to make such complicated setups whenever they want to drive?
Will you consider removing your bumper and cover up the racing cold air snorkel then put back the bumper whenever it's raining or you'd traverse a dusty worksite? If your answer is yes, then you are a dinosaur.

There is barely in comparison when talking about using race car parts on a street car; for those parts derived from the race track, if you are expecting 100% performance from it, then you'd disappointed as it will not compatible to use on the daily drive condition; your street car parts are serviced by KM or by year, whereas the race parts are serviced by hours. That's why the OEM engineers pay lots of energy and time to make a final compromise on their products, race cars only consider performance as prior then it's the reasonable lifespan and the last is drive comfort.

I'm using my gt86 as a dedicated track day toy, I towed my car to the race track, I could use race car parts on it, but that doesn't mean it will suitable for others, everyone has their own scenario for the different purpose, just choose the right one to use. And of course, you do could use race parts for your street car, but it's just the parts not designed for that purpose, and if you could bear the extra NVH and pre-mature wear, just enjoy.
Alfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:05 AM   #19
Alfs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Probably because both the stock snorkel and the HKS draw air from the same area. The stock snorkel is probably slightly more restrictive and quieter due to the resonator and smaller opening. In theory there shouldn’t be any IAT difference between the two.

Couldn't agree more on this
Old 03-27-2021, 01:20 AM   #20
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfs View Post
It's much easier for a race car team to adjust their set up to accommodate the weather condition than a DD commuter to do it; for things like setting up a water-proof/dust-proof CAI will not cost them more than 5 mins, replacing the rear diff case just under a couple of mins, etc.

Then, how could it be possible to expect Joe Bloggs to make such complicated setups whenever they want to drive?
Will you consider removing your bumper and cover up the racing cold air snorkel then put back the bumper whenever it's raining or you'd traverse a dusty worksite? If your answer is yes, then you are a dinosaur.

There is barely in comparison when talking about using race car parts on a street car; for those parts derived from the race track, if you are expecting 100% performance from it, then you'd disappointed as it will not compatible to use on the daily drive condition; your street car parts are serviced by KM or by year, whereas the race parts are serviced by hours. That's why the OEM engineers pay lots of energy and time to make a final compromise on their products, race cars only consider performance as prior then it's the reasonable lifespan and the last is drive comfort.

I'm using my gt86 as a dedicated track day toy, I towed my car to the race track, I could use race car parts on it, but that doesn't mean it will suitable for others, everyone has their own scenario for the different purpose, just choose the right one to use. And of course, you do could use race parts for your street car, but it's just the parts not designed for that purpose, and if you could bear the extra NVH and pre-mature wear, just enjoy.
Your response makes it seem you believe track cars don't see wet weather too, that was my point. I drive on track in the rain all the time. Water ingestion is not really an issue, even with an open filter in the stock intake position.

Much of the data suggest the HKS and Greddy intake snorkels don't do anything for performance anyway. There is a reason OEM's stopped trying to get the "ram air" effect and have gone to drawing clean air from behind the bumper cover.

Quote:
true
it also sucks in water when it rains heavy though
Quote:
That direct air snorkel is not meant for DD users, it's only for track-day driving or on a race car.

In other words, if you won't pursuing for the last tenth of a second on the lap time, this type of snorkel won't give you benefits for using on the open road.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #21
Alfs

Quote:
Your response makes it seem you believe track cars don't see wet weather too, that was my point. I drive on track in the rain all the time. Water ingestion is not really an issue, even with an open filter in the stock intake position.

Much of the data suggest the HKS and Greddy intake snorkels don't do anything for performance anyway. There is a reason OEM's stopped trying to get the "ram air" effect and have gone to drawing clean air from behind the bumper cover.
I assume you say in the rain means race in the drizzle? lol

Nobody saying that Greddy or HKS snorkel for the GT86/BRZ would increase the engine power, the purpose of it is to reduce the IAT and gives the FA20 a relatively consistent power output; ( the colder air theoretically will increase HP, but for the FA20 in the real-world testing shows that as the NA engine, it won't that much obvious); I'm suffering a lot of the power loss by the high IAT from the stock snorkel design, another bloke also has stock power but with Revo direct air ram style intake kit has greater and more consistent power output in the same weather condition, and he barely could race in the wet due to the REVO snorkel design ( which is similar as Greddy's ).

Yes, you do could risk your car to race in the wet with an open filter, that doesn't mean you're doing the right thing.

It's pointless to argue with ya on it, if you believe you could race your car with an open filter in such condition, then go ahead and good luck with ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfs For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #22
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I assume you say in the rain means race in the drizzle? lol

Nobody saying that Greddy or HKS snorkel for the GT86/BRZ would increase the engine power, the purpose of it is to reduce the IAT and gives the FA20 a relatively consistent power output; ( the colder air theoretically will increase HP, but for the FA20 in the real-world testing shows that as the NA engine, it won't that much obvious); I'm suffering a lot of the power loss by the high IAT from the stock snorkel design, another bloke also has stock power but with Revo direct air ram style intake kit has greater and more consistent power output in the same weather condition, and he barely could race in the wet due to the REVO snorkel design ( which is similar as Greddy's ).

Yes, you do could risk your car to race in the wet with an open filter, that doesn't mean you're doing the right thing.

It's pointless to argue with ya on it, if you believe you could race your car with an open filter in such condition, then go ahead and good luck with ya.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post

I think there is some language barrier that is causing some things to not necessarily mean what they come across as but at the same time I am a dinosaur now apparently.

Rawr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x808drifter (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:19 PM   #24
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
for track you may compromise comfort for performance, and you should adapt your car to the track and environment anyway theoretically
but having to find a way to block rain going into air inlet before driving to the grocery with your DD sounds stupid to me
Quote:

You would have to be fording fairly deep water for it to be a concern. I have the the maxracing duct that opens right behind the grill and have never had an issue even in heavy downpours.

See here,here and here to see the design.

It does pick up a lot of dust though. I have to clean my air filter fairly frequently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Alfs (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:37 PM   #25
Alfs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
You would have to be fording fairly deep water for it to be a concern. I have the the maxracing duct that opens right behind the grill and have never had an issue even in heavy downpours.

It does pick up a lot of dust though. I have to clean my air filter fairly frequently.
Thx for the info, good to know that!
Old 03-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #26
Alfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post

Does it help in reducing the intake temp?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #27
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Does it help in reducing the intake temp?
It has been that long since I did it that I cant remember any numbers I am sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Alfs (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
yes the greddy intake hose helps lowering temp in velocity, it mostly speeds up the cooling to normal temps after intake got heatsoaked ,for example after a stop at idle
it doesnt do wonders
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-29-2021), Teseo (03-23-2023)