follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If i ever get one of these I don't think I'd do anything to it.
I'll have another car that's much faster.

The 2nd gen already looks good and is looking really fun right out the box. This is def a car that's always gonna put a smile on your face no matter you do to it though.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
McMCOO (09-07-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #30
wheelspeed
Large Member

Drives: Ford Flex, ZX9R, FLHTCUi, DRZ400S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If it can come with all-season tires, then I'd use it as-is for a year or so before getting some lighter wheels. But if it's 'summer' tires, then I'd have to buy tires anyway, and that's a good time to get wheels so would likely do that.

Then after a couple years (like 10,000 miles), I'd likely start looking around for some kind of lightweight rotors for the front, or lightweight front rotor+caliper package.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #31
BuddahLV

Drives: 2022 GR86 / 2005 Porsche 911
my plans are to use the GR86 for light track duty: HPDE's and private track events.

(I say this now) but I have no performance mods planned.

most immediate plans: brake pads and fluids, harness bar, 6-pt harness and seat, full wrap (race livery)

once I get a feel for the stock suspension, I'll decide if I want to do a stiffer sway bar, coilovers, ect.

The car just needs to hurry-up and get released!
BuddahLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #32
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Never done in anger, more so "please don't hit me, I'm right beside you"
This is why you don't sit in people's blind spots. This is one of things that is preached hardcore in motorcycle classes........when you're next to someone, you're in the "death zone."

IE, if they move over, you're likely dead. I treat driving cars the same way and try to instill that in friends and family.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-15-2021), new2subaru (09-16-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #33
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I’ve reached the point in my modification career that I only buy OEM+ parts. So if GR releases some parts, or STI, I would like to add a few of them. I used to love to throw different mods at my cars, but I don’t like the headaches of getting them to fit correctly, and reliability concerns. I know there are some excellent third party tuners out there, I have just moved on from that.
The twins are balanced so nicely, and with a little more power and stiffer chassis I don’t see myself adding much. Maybe something like an STI shift knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #34
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is why you don't sit in people's blind spots. This is one of things that is preached hardcore in motorcycle classes........when you're next to someone, you're in the "death zone."

IE, if they move over, you're likely dead. I treat driving cars the same way and try to instill that in friends and family.
I agree. Especially with larger vehicles like buses and any heavy duty freight truck. It is extremely unwise. I noted to Dadhawk I keep footage, and usually its incidents where there is possible danger, not because I want to rave or justify to myself about whether the other driver did something stupid, but rather did I react properly or was there actually I way I could've possibly avoided it altogether.

For me though many times my horn was used not because I was sitting in a blind spot, but rather I'm in a lane that was moving and they weren't. Thus if the driver is impatient and carelessly tries to do a lane change, not taking into account cars in my lane were moving at a fairly brisk speed ie. 30-40mph, someone will have to react to avoid an incident. When I see them make their move I would technically be in visible view...but likely whatever behind them impedes their vision or again relying too much on blindspot monitoring sensors.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #35
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I’ve reached the point in my modification career that I only buy OEM+ parts. So if GR releases some parts, or STI, I would like to add a few of them. I used to love to throw different mods at my cars, but I don’t like the headaches of getting them to fit correctly, and reliability concerns. I know there are some excellent third party tuners out there, I have just moved on from that.
The twins are balanced so nicely, and with a little more power and stiffer chassis I don’t see myself adding much. Maybe something like an STI shift knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is my mindset now too. Was thinking about bone stock, but seeing some of the GR modifications that are going to be released in Japan, if they come to the US I'd consider the springs and possibly brake upgrade since they'll be warrantied and all that.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #36
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFIFE22 View Post
I think this is my mindset now too. Was thinking about bone stock, but seeing some of the GR modifications that are going to be released in Japan, if they come to the US I'd consider the springs and possibly brake upgrade since they'll be warrantied and all that.
Same. I thought about buying aftermarket stuff, but I had a bad warranty experience with my Supra with reputable lowering springs. Not doing that again.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #37
austintampa

Drives: honda element
as someone who is comfy doing fun stuffs with cars Id like a turbo kit making a reliable 320whp. i think that would make it a pretty fun time. hopefully the bottom and and trans can support this.
austintampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #38
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Im thinking exhaust axel back,, and lowered. That's all. Maybe add a small sub with a built in amp.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #39
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
All I've specified so far is the short shift kit.

I will upgrade all the fluids the week i get the car (after giving it a break-in for a few hours).

Then I'll get some track brake pads and do whatever events get offered with the car club.

Then perhaps some dedicated track tires and rims. Nothing to special, not forged or anything, just something that fits well with 235s and a colour choice I would never have on the street! Like a bright pink or something =D Probably 888R to go on them.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #40
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We should all be grateful that Subaru and Toyota plan for easy modification of the Toybaru, for both versions 1 and 2. They build a 85% finished vehicle, in order to keep the selling price low, and allow owners to customise it to their satisfaction. Of course, some may like it as is, without much modification.
In general, just drive it around a bit, and see if there is anything you like to improve upon. I must say, however, version 2 has ameliorated the two major shortcomings of the original: low power and chassis stiffness.
There are mods that provides significant improvement: reduce unsprung weight (lighter wheels, suspension arms, lug nuts, and brake rotors), and reduce rotational inertia (lighter driveshaft, pulleys, flywheel). These mods do not generate any extra power, but will make the car quicker at any speed or condition.
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoniyama For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #41
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddahLV View Post
most immediate plans: brake pads and fluids, harness bar, 6-pt harness and seat, full wrap (race livery)
If you do this, please get a helmet WITH a HANS device!

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-29-2021), timurrrr (09-29-2021), Ultramaroon (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #42
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddahLV View Post
my plans are to use the GR86 for light track duty: HPDE's and private track events.

(I say this now) but I have no performance mods planned.

once I get a feel for the stock suspension, I'll decide if I want to do a stiffer sway bar, coilovers, ect.

The car just needs to hurry-up and get released!
Please don't do a harness and fixed back seat without at least a properly designed and installed 4 point roll bar.

Bolt-in is fine assuming it's designed and built well, ties into the correct spots in the chassis and the backing plates are in double shear.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Frost (09-30-2021)