follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #49603
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,850
Thanks: 58,339
Thanked 99,555 Times in 43,214 Posts
Mentioned: 2403 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
What am I missing?





humfrz
Audio Adviser is apparently getting a little behind.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2018), humfrz (10-18-2018), Spuds (10-18-2018), Ultramaroon (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #49604
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,850
Thanks: 58,339
Thanked 99,555 Times in 43,214 Posts
Mentioned: 2403 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
isn't this the sweetest thing ever....
Shocking. A commercial that doesn't match reality!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #49605
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,466
Thanks: 26,270
Thanked 29,112 Times in 15,388 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Your reading glasses, apparently.
Oh -


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #49606
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,850
Thanks: 58,339
Thanked 99,555 Times in 43,214 Posts
Mentioned: 2403 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh -


humfrz
Took me three read throughs to find it as well. Apparently some words just jump out at Clip.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #49607
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,466
Thanks: 26,270
Thanked 29,112 Times in 15,388 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Took me three read throughs to find it as well. Apparently some words just jump out at Clip.
Well, ol @Clipdat IS from the SF bay area -


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #49608
MrFisty
The Fistiest
 
MrFisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Thanks: 2,953
Thanked 749 Times in 458 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
So, I'm hoping to get back to being more regular here, even though I'll likely be selling the FRS soon. (anybody need parts?)

This is the only place (OT) where I've found a good collection of sensible car enthusiasts.


My short term goals involve getting a semi-cool beater to get drift time in. Eventually, I'll sell my sonic (if it isn't totalled) and try to get something I can drive to work and pull my drift car on a trailer with. The problem is....I don't know the first fucken thing about towing. I mean, I've driven trailers before. But I've never had to think about it. Was always my dad's truck or a friends and their stuff.

What kind of towing capacity can I get away with?

I'm guessing my drift car will be about 2700 pounds, give or take.
I'd take a set of spares and some basic tools.

I can't afford a diesel, nor do I want to drive or park one in Pittsburgh. I don't really want to drive a big ass truck.
are there small SUV's or truck's I could get away with doing this?


EDIT:

I guess I'm asking how conservative towing capacities are. I think I've seen some on small SUv's at 3500.
Don't know if running at that or slightly over is super dangerous. I probably will be buying older and warranties won't be a consideration.
__________________
They said my last sig was too big.
MrFisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #49609
MrFisty
The Fistiest
 
MrFisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Thanks: 2,953
Thanked 749 Times in 458 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't wanna hear my long ass rant, so I won't write it... but
yeah, currently looking into different insurance. The adjuster is pissing me off in so many ways that I can't handle it anymore. Just talking on the phone will turn me into berserk/angry.
At least you've gotten yours on the phone. My shitty claims adjuster hasn't called since Thursday and has been forwarding my calls. Today is her last chance before I look above her for recourse.
__________________
They said my last sig was too big.
MrFisty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFisty For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #49610
Sapphireho
Let's fix the boat!
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 10,839
Thanks: 4,622
Thanked 13,728 Times in 6,796 Posts
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post

What kind of towing capacity can I get away with?


Get a truck with towing capacity to spare, and a good trailer with brakes. Don't be a danger on the road.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2018), humfrz (10-18-2018), MrFisty (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #49611
MrFisty
The Fistiest
 
MrFisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Thanks: 2,953
Thanked 749 Times in 458 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Get a truck with towing capacity to spare, and a good trailer with brakes. Don't be a danger on the road.

Of course I don't want to be; it's why I'm asking.
I literally don't know the first thing about towing, but eventually my drift habit will warrant towing my car to and from the track and I just don't even know where to start.


Maybe an old Tahoe...
but parking. UGH.
__________________
They said my last sig was too big.
MrFisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #49612
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 17,570
Thanks: 33,816
Thanked 21,018 Times in 9,729 Posts
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Get a truck with towing capacity to spare, and a good trailer with brakes. Don't be a danger on the road.
Exactly. You don't want to try and minimize towing capacity. With this, you need to think of the emergencies, not the 95% of the driving you will do. Towing isn't the problem, the problem is when you have to urgently stop towing or make an evasive maneuver.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-18-2018), Spuds (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #49613
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 65,850
Thanks: 58,339
Thanked 99,555 Times in 43,214 Posts
Mentioned: 2403 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
Of course I don't want to be; it's why I'm asking.
I literally don't know the first thing about towing, but eventually my drift habit will warrant towing my car to and from the track and I just don't even know where to start.


Maybe an old Tahoe...
but parking. UGH.
The type of trailer is as important as the tow vehicle. With a proper trailer you can downsize the tow vehicle to some extent (not much though). You want something with as little tongue weight as possible. The whole idea is to let the axles carry the weigh. Most trailers that are actually designed to haul cars will be set up properly but will cost you a few dollars more. Be VERY careful when buying a used trailer. The majority of them I have ever seen should not have still been on the road. People (even those that know better) tend to ignore proper maintenance and the fact they sit idle most of the time can really mess them up. Beware of home made ones no matter how pretty they may be!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2018), MrFisty (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #49614
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,466
Thanks: 26,270
Thanked 29,112 Times in 15,388 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post

My short term goals involve getting a semi-cool beater to get drift time in. Eventually, I'll sell my sonic (if it isn't totalled) and try to get something I can drive to work and pull my drift car on a trailer with. The problem is....I don't know the first fucken thing about towing. I mean, I've driven trailers before. But I've never had to think about it. Was always my dad's truck or a friends and their stuff.

.
hmmm - why not just drive your "drift car" to the drift track/area ?

A trailer that has the capacity to haul a car is expensive. Then you have to set up a vehicle to pull it. Then you have to park it somewhere when it's not being used. Then you have license and insurance.

The vehicle you choose, with enough hauling capacity to safely pull a loaded trailer of that size, will NOT be a comfortable DD, let alone it will get relatively poor gas mileage.

Back in the day, I drove a 3/4 ton pickup truck pulling a two axle trailer with electric brakes for thousands of miles. It ain't fun and it makes driving "work".


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2018), MrFisty (10-18-2018), Tcoat (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #49615
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat
 
BigFatFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Location: Sack of Potatoes
Posts: 4,429
Thanks: 2,630
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,974 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
I can't afford a diesel, nor do I want to drive or park one in Pittsburgh. I don't really want to drive a big ass truck.
are there small SUV's or truck's I could get away with doing this?


EDIT:

I guess I'm asking how conservative towing capacities are. I think I've seen some on small SUv's at 3500.
Don't know if running at that or slightly over is super dangerous. I probably will be buying older and warranties won't be a consideration.

Agreed with others regarding trying to get as much towing capacity as you can get for your budget, both the truck and the trailer. You mentioned not wanting a "diesel" but I'm assuming you meant a large diesel truck like a Ford F-350 or something.



With that said, there are a few light duty diesel trucks that may be perfect for your application. The Chevy Colorado comes to mind. I know at least one of our local track junkies (@The Racers Line) tows his FRS to the track regularly and is very happy with it.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2018), MrFisty (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #49616
MrFisty
The Fistiest
 
MrFisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Thanks: 2,953
Thanked 749 Times in 458 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Agreed with others regarding trying to get as much towing capacity as you can get for your budget, both the truck and the trailer. You mentioned not wanting a "diesel" but I'm assuming you meant a large diesel truck like a Ford F-350 or something.



With that said, there are a few light duty diesel trucks that may be perfect for your application. The Chevy Colorado comes to mind. I know at least one of our local track junkies (@The Racers Line) tows his FRS to the track regularly and is very happy with it.
....is there a diesel Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmm - why not just drive your "drift car" to the drift track/area ?

A trailer that has the capacity to haul a car is expensive. Then you have to set up a vehicle to pull it. Then you have to park it somewhere when it's not being used. Then you have license and insurance.

The vehicle you choose, with enough hauling capacity to safely pull a loaded trailer of that size, will NOT be a comfortable DD, let alone it will get relatively poor gas mileage.

Back in the day, I drove a 3/4 ton pickup truck pulling a two axle trailer with electric brakes for thousands of miles. It ain't fun and it makes driving "work".


humfrz

It's like an hour to the local track. That's a reeeeeaaaaal expensive tow job if I break something that can't be fixed there. But having the equipment to tow it may be more expensive than I thought...
And a drift beater may not eventually be suitable for that ride.

plus, I want to have a set of spares AND some tools. That may not fit in some of the smaller candidates I have in mind for tracking (looking at you, E30).
__________________
They said my last sig was too big.
MrFisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Language Rant Part Deux MuseChaser Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 43 04-23-2017 08:55 PM
Random thoughts thread MrVito Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 37188 02-25-2016 11:00 AM
Random Rubber Part OoLong BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 8 01-28-2014 11:31 AM
Crew Carshow : Part Deux 9/7/13 saiyajinimports Great Lakes 0 08-17-2013 06:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.