follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sturdy tablet mounts for BRZ/FRS

I'm looking for a sturdy tablet mount solution for my BRZ, for use with various apps, such as Torque Pro and SoloStorm. I wouldn't mind if the tablet could be used as an in-car camera to film me as I drive in auto-x to see what I'm doing (useful down the road once I get SoloStorm).

I would like the mount to be sturdy and not cover any controls or vents (head unit, AC controls, etc). I would also want the mount to be compliant with track days/autocross. Would like to avoid a suction cup mount because I've had suction cup mounts fail be before.

Have narrowed it down to these two:

Stugg Racing:
http://www.stuggracing.com/Tablet-Mo...let-mount.html

This mounts with magnets and supports a limited number of tablets, but I think it supports other tablets - you just need to find a case that you then double-side tape to the mount itself (am trying to confirm this, have an email into Stugg). Don't love that design, and it may make taking the tablet off the mount harder since you'd have to remove it from the case. Also as far as I understand the magnets are strong, but not sure if they are strong enough for autocross/track days.

Pros: entire mount can come off very fast, which is nice for storing when not in use.
Cons: Not the best design mating the mount to a tablet; cost

Proclip:
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...812-19052.cmsv

The Proclip requires the part I have listed above in addition to a tablet-specific mount. There are lots of tablet mounts available on their site, and they are usually between $50 and $60. They do have some generic mounts as well. Anyone have experience with those?

Pros: cheaper than the Stugg racing
Cons: not as easy to remove, unsure about quality of "generic" tablet mounts.

Am curious to find other people out there that have one of these mounts, and what they think.

Note: I don't have a tablet yet, but will decide on one depending on which mount I go with. Both mounts support things like the Nexus 7, but that is no longer offered by google... thinking of going with a newer tablet such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but am open to suggestions on that as well. However, many of the nice affordable options on the market do not have mounts for the Proclip or Stugg mounts.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have a proclip setup for my Nexus 6 (just a phone, not a tablet, but a very large phone) and it is very nice. Solid, good construction, just slide the phone in and it connects to the charging cord and stays put.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My son had this in his WRX and now his Forester. Hooks under passenger side front seat, left front seat track bolt.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...k9gaArPb8P8HAQ
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
BR-ZED

Thanks. That office depot link looks like a nice mount for daily use, but reading some of the reviews leads me to believe it is prone to vibration unless the table is somehow stabilized at another point (i.e., it leans up against the dash).

Good to hear a positive review of the proclip, keep the feedback coming guys!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
BR-ZED

Bumping this up... I think I am leaning towards the Stugg, but I haven't heard back from them and the fact that no one seems to have this mount (0 threads on this forum about it) leads me to believe it may no longer even be available... so I will probably have to lean towards the pro-clip instead.

Anyone using a 8" tablet for the proclip? I know 7" is common, but I was comparing two the other day at the store and 7" seems really tiny.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Bumping this up... I think I am leaning towards the Stugg, but I haven't heard back from them and the fact that no one seems to have this mount (0 threads on this forum about it) leads me to believe it may no longer even be available... so I will probably have to lean towards the pro-clip instead.

Anyone using a 8" tablet for the proclip? I know 7" is common, but I was comparing two the other day at the store and 7" seems really tiny.
The guy who developed the StuGG mounts is in Australia, and part of the groups here, I pinged him with no response on some of the forums and FB, but no response. He may have stopped producing the kits/lost interest.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Use the Proclip for my Iphone...works great
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vintagemxer For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
FWIW, I use an otter box for my note 8 and put stiff velcro on the removable cover. When I run solo storm, I just put the cover on the floor mat with the velcro. The note clips right in, face up, and it doesn't move.

For video, I just overlay gopro video.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
BR-ZED

Thanks guys. I guess l will be going with the proclip since stugg is Mia...

really interested to see if an 8 inch tablet will work. Need to try to find a pic of the proclip with a nexus to see if an 8 inch will fit.

Also need to actually decide on what tablet to buy...
Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 AM   #10
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess l will be going with the proclip since stugg is Mia...

really interested to see if an 8 inch tablet will work. Need to try to find a pic of the proclip with a nexus to see if an 8 inch will fit.

Also need to actually decide on what tablet to buy...
So what setup did you end up going with? I'm thinking of getting the Nvidia Shield K1 to run Solostorm so I'm looking for a holder as well.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #11
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
So what setup did you end up going with? I'm thinking of getting the Nvidia Shield K1 to run Solostorm so I'm looking for a holder as well.
Nothing yet... still trying to decide on a tablet. The K1 seems to be a good option, but proclip doesn't offer a specific mount for it, last time I checked.

FWIW Stugg did reply to me, but it took them ~ a month. Would be more interested to get that mount if their customer service was a bit more responsive (in case there are any issues).

If you get something post up what you get, as it sounds like we have similar goals.... seems like there just aren't good market options for 7" tablets now that the Nexus is no longer made.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Nothing yet... still trying to decide on a tablet. The K1 seems to be a good option, but proclip doesn't offer a specific mount for it, last time I checked.

FWIW Stugg did reply to me, but it took them ~ a month. Would be more interested to get that mount if their customer service was a bit more responsive (in case there are any issues).

If you get something post up what you get, as it sounds like we have similar goals.... seems like there just aren't good market options for 7" tablets now that the Nexus is no longer made.
I was thinking of going the ProClip route but at about $150 for the mount + spring loaded universal holder I'm going to hold off.

For now I'll just use heavy duty Velcro on the backside of the center console, there's a nice flat spot there.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TNK02
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
https://www.amazon.ca/Lifetime-Warra...l+Packaging%29

I bought this one a while back. It sits nicely in front of the stock radio I used a 10 inch tablet so it might have been a little heavy for the mount and a little unstable but you could easily put some 3m and would be perfect. I can try to find some pictures of it
darko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darko For This Useful Post:
RiskyTrousers (02-07-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #14
darko

Drives: RAVEN FRS
@RiskyTrousers

http://imgur.com/a/MIeEW
darko is offline   Reply With Quote