follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Values

I understand there was no way to tell for sure, but when I purchased this car I had hoped that the BRZ would retain value similar to a WRX. This is just not the case.

I purchased my car about 13 months ago, and it's already worth about $10,000 less than NEW according to both NADA and KBB. With 20k miles on the clock ($560 deduction), it hurts...but not nearly as much as the car dropping in value itself. I have a Limited BRZ that I purchased new for a little over $27k with a few options, with the dealer originally asking just over $29k.

This, is nuts. These things aren't holding value any better than my friends Fiat 500, which is downright depressing. Hoping it will rise a bit in the spring with the new sports car season.

What are your thoughts on this? Think it might hold value from here on out, or keep on plummeting?

Last edited by Apex_BRZ; 10-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like my prior car...Honda Fit.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Used BRZ holding value? No. Maybe try precious metals with intrinsic value like gold and silver.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Used BRZ holding value? No. Maybe try precious metals with intrinsic value like gold and silver.

If anyone (us common folk) is buying ANY car for an actual investment, well...that's foolish.

However, it's not foolish to hope that it doesn't drop 34% in a single year of ownership. Craziness.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
projekkt

Drives: 15 wrb brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It might be highly location dependent. I just looked up a 2014 used 12k miles brz for michigan and "average trade in" number was 21225...

this is for a base model brz though. this is 4k lower than the "new" price but its also a tradein value. I think this is pretty good though.

edit: I'm also that guy that drove his cars 5 hours to sell because his car was worth 2k more elsewhere
projekkt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to projekkt For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-15-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You have to look at a car as a depreciating asset, the value of which is arbitrarily governed by silly formulas such as KBB. In some cases, it might sell for as much or even more than you paid for it (e.g., limited production runs, collector cars, etc.), and that's great, but I wouldn't choose a car based on that hope.

The WRX holds its value for now because it is currently the super-practical, bargain-racecar that all the kids are raving about (think supply & demand, and marketing). It will only hold the spotlight until the next hype comes along.
Texas BRZ (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
You have to look at a car as a depreciating asset, the value of which is arbitrarily governed by silly formulas such as KBB. In some cases, it might sell for as much or even more than you paid for it (e.g., limited production runs, collector cars, etc.), and that's great, but I wouldn't choose a car based on that hope.

The WRX holds its value for now because it is currently the super-practical, bargain-racecar that all the kids are raving about (think supply & demand, and marketing). It will only hold the spotlight until the next hype comes along.
I mentioned in my first post that I purchased the car for other reasons, but hoped it would hold also hold value a bit. Today, I found out that it unfortunately did not. Just a bummer, is all.

As far as the WRX goes, it's not holding value "for now". They always have. Well, at least as far back as 2006 when I started paying attention to them. But I certainly wouldn't call that a temporary thing.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
GreenMonster
Just doing research

Drives: 03 Acura CLS 6MT
Coupes just suck when it comes to depreciation... You gotta pay if you wanna play.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
i think the depreciation will shine after 3-4 years. first 3 years always depreciate more
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
projekkt

Drives: 15 wrb brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
I mentioned in my first post that I purchased the car for other reasons, but hoped it would hold also hold value a bit. Today, I found out that it unfortunately did not. Just a bummer, is all.

As far as the WRX goes, it's not holding value "for now". They always have. Well, at least as far back as 2006 when I started paying attention to them. But I certainly wouldn't call that a temporary thing.
its a supply thing. theres a lot of people who probably found that it didn't fit their needs and supply is surging the market. There are BRZs in many dealer lots too.

If theres anything to look forward to, its the strong used demand. Those who mod the entire car especially are probably looking forward to a used version. Depreciation will probably slow down a LOT when that kicks it.
projekkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
NADA and KBB are terrible to go by. For instance, you can sell for a hell of a lot more if you're a desirable color (WRB is the obvious one here).

Sure, the dealers have old stock sitting on the lots, and it's usually white or some other "boring" color, so it's going to effect overall NADA and KBB value.

Also, KBB used to say a Twin Turbo, 6-speed MKIV Supra was worth 15K in perfect condition...good luck finding one for that.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-15-2014), subieshanerz (10-16-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I ordered my '15 Premium for just under $25k + TT&L. I'm going into this purchase prepared that my BRZ will lose at least a few thousand right off the bat, and then the loss should slow down a bit.

Hey, it could be much worse... Look at some other brands that depreciate much more significantly... Like some gas guzzlers or even high mark up luxury cars.

I've heard Subaru's tend to hold value a bit better... I'm not going to really stress about it though, I see solid value in the BRZ and for the way it drives and feels especially.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I expect any new car to loose around 30% of its value within the first year of use. After that, it usually devalues at around 6-10% of the previous year's value, every year.

The WRX is an exception though. I never bought the BRZ so I could sell it in a couple of years. I plan to keep this car for as long as possible. There's just something about keeping my first car, especially a manual.
carma143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #14
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
Coupes just suck when it comes to depreciation... You gotta pay if you wanna play.
Funny enough, the 2001 Subaru Impreza RS coupe is worth about as much as the 2002 WRX! The WRX has held stupid high resale value. One might think the "much lower production than FRS" BRZ would similarly hold value, but its not. Maybe the FRS is pulling the BRZ down? I dunno.

I paid $31k otd for my Limited in June 2012 (9% tax!) and it dropped like a brick. I would never suggest selling a car within the first couple years as depreciation hits hard BUT in the last 8 years or so that initial depreciation hasnt been so bad - especially for affordable cars. (luxury cars and SUVs are another story).

So with the WRX holding prices and the BRZ is even less common and more hyped, its rather surprising to see these values. That said I really don't anticipate these cars dropping under $16k any time soon unless they have a ton of miles. I think $18-21k will be the floor for the next year or two. A 6-7 year old BRZ with 60k miles would still pull $15k I bet - which would be more than 50% of MSRP. That's not terrible, and again bc "kids" want to buy these cars and mod them, good clean examples should command a decent price in 10 years. We just had to jump off a 25% first year drop before things settle down.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote