follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #57
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
Your buds must have been CA residents w/ CA plates or licenses
The one that immediately comes to mind was a florida resident with florida plates...

Quote:
So if I never register my car in CA, when do I have to get a smog check?
You don't, unless you piss someone off on base. California doesn't ask for proof that you're passing smog checks. That's how you get away with not getting them done.

But getting away with not having smog checks done is not always the same as not ever being required to comply with california emissions. The law says you have to comply, they give you a break, but anytime they feel like it they could start asking for proof of compliance. Simply because the law already says you have to comply.

Quote:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochure...militaryvr.htm

Read the part about Smog... "If registered in CA... "
I'd keep a copy of that somewhere. There are other official documents that say you have to pass a smog check, it comes down to how the LEO/judge/superior feels at the time, just like almost everything else in california...
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #58
solus

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Ultramarine)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
The one that immediately comes to mind was a florida resident with florida plates...

You don't, unless you piss someone off on base. California doesn't ask for proof that you're passing smog checks. That's how you get away with not getting them done.

But getting away with not having smog checks done is not always the same as not ever being required to comply with california emissions. The law says you have to comply, they give you a break, but anytime they feel like it they could start asking for proof of compliance. Simply because the law already says you have to comply.
But the law doesn't say I must comply... It says CA registered cars must comply. It's all in the wording
solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #59
solus

Quote:

I'd keep a copy of that somewhere. There are other official documents that say you have to pass a smog check, it comes down to how the LEO/judge/superior feels at the time, just like almost everything else in california...
Yes, already printed... Lol, show that to your non-resident buddies, gives them something to fight with in court
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #60
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Federal law requires a Smog Check inspection for vehicles not registered in California but
are owned and operated by non-resident military personnel on active duty in California. This
requirement is independently enforced by each military base. Generally, military personnel
must obtain a passing vehicle inspection report before a base access sticker can be issued; a
certificate of compliance may not be required. The emissions inspection system provides
inspection prompts for inspecting military personnel owned vehicles. Following these
prompts will prevent the issuance of a certificate.
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ce%20Guide.pdf

I think this is the part that ruined my friends days, but they're back outside of California now so they're happy.
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #61
solus

Quote:
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ce%20Guide.pdf

I think this is the part that ruined my friends days, but they're back outside of California now so they're happy.
Well good thing I won't be working on any of the bases
Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #62
BongMan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This thread has hella derailed. There are no carb turbo kits.

However, it's easier to join the military, then register your car in another state to avoid emissions testing.
BongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BongMan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-26-2014)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #63
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Reviving this thread - we now offer two CARB-compliant turbo kits:

WORKS FR-S/BRZ Stage 2 Turbocharger Kit - CARB Compliant

WORKS FR-S/BRZ Stage 1 Turbocharger Kit - CARB Compliant

Like @mav1178 said, the compliance process requires significant R&D investment to ensure emissions compliance, as well as hiring an independent lab to put the vehicle through a number of tests and drive cycles. The lab then sends the test data to the Air Resources Board, who issues an Executive Order (EO) number if the test data shows the added equipment does not increase emissions.

Our kits retain both factory catalytic converters, contains hardware and software that passed these tests, and displays our EO number for reference during SMOG inspections.

More info can be found here and here.

Last edited by WORKS; 02-01-2016 at 02:21 PM.
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WORKS For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (09-15-2015), srizzors25 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #64
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
Its not an exemption... its the fact that I don't have to register my car in CA. Emissions testing is done before you register your car. CA DMW will not even see my car. I won't ever have to walk into a CA DMV. My car is register in WA and my license is WA. So, if I get pulled over... the cop sees WA plate, WA registration, and WA license. So unless my car is obviously not in compliance with ANY emissions standards (and to a normal cop they have no idea) then I should not be cited. If I am cited, the court will know that my vehicle did not comply with California emissions standards because its not registered in CA.

Otherwise every joe blow driving through CA would be pulled over and required to get CARB testing...

for example... here in WA, my car is register in Kitsap county, no emissions testing required. Pierce county (the county next to mine) requires emissions testing... I drive through pierce county every day. No problems, I actually live in pierce county and had my car registered in kitsap county, still no emissions testing.

So, while there is no exemption per se we are able to circumvent the emissions requirement because it is based on your registration not where you actually live. Due to being military I am able to claim residency in another state (WA) and register my car in WA. I'm also able to obtain a license from WA... therefore, upon registration no emissions testing is required. (because its registered in WA)

I'm not sure where people are confused. If you have an out of state license, out of state plates, out of state registration then you are only required to meet the emissions standards of your state of registration.

A civilian who moves to CA is REQUIRED to obtain CA residency after a certain amount of time. A military member is not require to do that... thus... registration in another state.

Military member who are residents of CA (have CA license, CA registration, CA plates, and a home of record in CA) DO have to abide by emissions testing standards of CA, otherwise they won't be able to register their vehicles... of course you can always change your residency when you go to your next duty station (outside CA).

clear?
This is true and applies to military dependents whose residency is the same as their spouse's. Like in my case, I moved to CA from AZ after we got married, but my wife's official residency is is MI. If I had not switched official residency to MI as well before we got married, I'd have to register my car in CA and get a CA license. As it is, I got a MI license and registered my car in MI. Thus, I do NOT have to do the CA registration thing. It's federal law. My wife is a lawyer, so she looked up the specifics pretty carefully.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #65
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by khantran04 View Post
Okay bring this subject up again now that's 2016 and this thread was back in 2013. is there now any street legal turbocharger kits? if so please list a few with links if possible within or outside the forum.
thank you

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
The only CARB legal one is the work's turbo kit mentioned few post up above. Other than that, any turbo charger can be "street legal" depending on where you live
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #66
ADebelius
Taking Corners

Drives: 2014 FR-S Whiteout Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^ As Bach said lol.
ADebelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #67
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Quote:
Okay bring this subject up again now that's 2016 and this thread was back in 2013. is there now any street legal turbocharger kits? if so please list a few with links if possible within or outside the forum.
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
The only CARB legal one is the work's turbo kit mentioned few post up above.
Bach is correct and just to clarify our turbo kit's CARB compliance IS valid for 2016 model year vehicles.

You can see more at: http://store.worksmotorsports.com/WO...p/142.212c.htm
&
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86514
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #68
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
mhm in California heard they're tough on emission/smog. how about greddy and etc? o.o sorry very new to FI as I've only read about them,never had FI in any of my previous car nor knowledge of feel of having a turbo charger

If your car is bought brand new, you don't need to smog it for 6 years. You can technically run those turbo kits but it will still be illegal. If you get caught (as in pulled over and have your engine checked for illegal modification), you can get fined A LOT for it. For anything to be considered CARB legal in Cali, the kit can't modify any component that consist of a cat converter and also can't produce over a certain amount of emission.

My example of a turbo charger is .... "VTEC on drugs". It's a bunch of power that hits you at a certain RPM when your turbo is fully spooled. That's a simple explanation assuming you know what VTEC is. If you want more info, there are plenty of threads out there on Google that can go more indepth than what I can explain atm.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote