follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
edigeek

Drives: 2014 White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
best way to repair this door?

I took it to a repair shop and this is what I got

$1,200 for fixing/painting door and blending with quarter panel.

$700 for fixing/painting door only (no guarantee perfect color match)

My question guys is the following:

Does the entire door have to be repainted? Besides that, the rest of the door is in perfect conditions, not a single scratch or dent.

What's my best option?

What happened? I think some kid riding a motorcycle hit my car. I've been so sad.

Click here for full picture size

edigeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
It's totaled. buy a new car

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

But seriously have them blend it. SWP is a hard color to match and spraying the door only could make it stick out

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
But seriously have them blend it. SWP is a hard color to match and spraying the door only could make it stick out
Yeah, always opt for the blend. File an insurance claim.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hit and run or vandalism claim for your insurance. Pay your deductible and have them repair it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
edigeek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Hit and run or vandalism claim for your insurance. Pay your deductible and have them repair it.
I feel like if I do, then it will go on carfax and decrease my car's value more because of that.

Someone backed up on my car a while ago, only a bit damaged on the front fender, call the cops and I checked my carfax the other day and it shows that the car has been in an accident. do i need a police report for this?

Quote:
Accident reported
Involving left front impact
with another motor vehicle
Left front primarily damaged
Minor damage reported
Old 03-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #7
edigeek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
does the blend include the entire door and part of the quarter panel or half of the door and part of the quarter panel?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by edigeek View Post
I feel like if I do, then it will go on carfax and decrease my car's value more because of that.

Someone backed up on my car a while ago, only a bit damaged on the front fender, call the cops and I checked my carfax the other day and it shows that the car has been in an accident. do i need a police report for this?
Someone bashed a couple of windows in my GTI, I don't recall calling the cops (since I knew it was going to be less than 1k value and nothing was stolen). Someone hit and ran our Camry. Neither times did we call the cops, we just called our insurance. Now, I don't know if it made its way into the CarFax reports.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Someone bashed a couple of windows in my GTI, I don't recall calling the cops (since I knew it was going to be less than 1k value and nothing was stolen). Someone hit and ran our Camry. Neither times did we call the cops, we just called our insurance. Now, I don't know if it made its way into the CarFax reports.
It most likely is on the car fax reports as most insurance work is reported and recorded via the DMV, in fact most maintenance when done at dealers is place there as well. Not to worry though broken windows won't diminish the value, and the hit and run will be reported on the car fax that may diminish the value of the camry depends on the damage.

Quote:

You don't have to, but there is not much you can do other than report it without a license plate of the guy that did it. If you go to your insurance and report the hit and run you could possibly do a diminished value claim and be paid the value lost of this incident.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #10
edigeek

Garage
Quote:
did your insurance premium/rates increase?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
It most likely is on the car fax reports as most insurance work is reported and recorded via the DMV, in fact most maintenance when done at dealers is place there as well. Not to worry though broken windows won't diminish the value, and the hit and run will be reported on the car fax that may diminish the value of the camry depends on the damage.
The Camry succumbed to the oil sludge death. The GTI I sold privately, and don't think CarFax was big then. lol

Yup, that's why when I traded in my Yaris, it had zero maintenance on the record since I did them all by myself. haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
did your insurance premium/rates increase?
They did not. I believe premiums increase when it's an "at fault" situation.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,828 Times in 16,430 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
...............What's my best option?
Well now, I'd suggest you get a good PDR person to tap out the dents, then finish it off with a polishing and waxing.

Yea, the slight crease near the door edge, may be noticeable for a few weeks ..... then you won't "see" it anymore ......

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
does the blend include the entire door and part of the quarter panel or half of the door and part of the quarter panel?
I would imagine the whole door plus the panel but ask the shop to make sure