follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Aftermarket passenger seat issue

So after reading several dozens of aftermarket seat for our car and did research and I thought I could do this... but looks like I got an issue.

So I have install both driver and passenger aftermarket seats. I've made sure to get the resistors, so make sure airbag lights doesn't turn on. I've made sure to take out the passenger seat sensor, so car know there's someone sitting.

Now, I have 2 problems.

First, passenger airbag doesn't turn "on" even there's someone is sitting. I've put the sensor between the lil mesh and cushion, so my guess is sensor isn't sensing there's someone sitting, so light isn't turning on.

Second, gauge airbag light turns on, when passenger seatbelt isn't on.
Like this:

But when I clip on the passenger seatbelt, light turn off.
Like this:

Now... it doesn't make sense with these two problems.
If it doesn't sense that, there's no one sitting (passenger airbag light as "off"), why it need to have passenger seatbelt on to turn off the airbag light on the gauge.

Any expert here can help, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
CB390248

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good luck! I simply put Alcantara BRz seats in my FR-S thinking thy would be the simplest aftermarket option and I'm no better off than you. There's a thread somewhere here about my troubles and others with the same situation. I still haven't learned if the lights directly correspond to functioning - meaningful if the airbag light is on - on the dash as in your first pic - does that mean the airbag won't deploy? My passenger sensor works but only if the passengers butt is sitting down snugly and there is no long coat obstructing. It's a really bizarre situation because a passenger present turns off the passenger airbag light AND the dash light (circle and person red light on the gauge cluster). Experts have told me it's an 'easy fix' but I haven't seen it happen yet. Please share if you figure out the problem!
CB390248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
So after reading several dozens of aftermarket seat for our car and did research and I thought I could do this... but looks like I got an issue.

So I have install both driver and passenger aftermarket seats. I've made sure to get the resistors, so make sure airbag lights doesn't turn on. I've made sure to take out the passenger seat sensor, so car know there's someone sitting.

Now, I have 2 problems.

First, passenger airbag doesn't turn "on" even there's someone is sitting. I've put the sensor between the lil mesh and cushion, so my guess is sensor isn't sensing there's someone sitting, so light isn't turning on.

Like this:

Like this:

If it doesn't sense that, there's no one sitting (passenger airbag light as "off"), why it need to have passenger seatbelt on to turn off the airbag light on the gauge.

Thanks

Mine is functioning the same exact way, can't figure it out. I have a seat belt canceler to leave buckled in when I run harnesses on track so I just leave it in when driving on the streets when I have no passenger.

I even bought another oem seat cushion with sensor intact to see if I broke the sensor when removing it from my original seat but still acts the same way.

I haven't been able to get the passenger side to have the airbag on light turn on when I have a passenger or have the sensor folded up under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB390248 View Post
Good luck! I simply put Alcantara BRz seats in my FR-S thinking thy would be the simplest aftermarket option and I'm no better off than you. There's a thread somewhere here about my troubles and others with the same situation. I still haven't learned if the lights directly correspond to functioning - meaningful if the airbag light is on - on the dash as in your first pic - does that mean the airbag won't deploy? My passenger sensor works but only if the passengers butt is sitting down snugly and there is no long coat obstructing. It's a really bizarre situation because a passenger present turns off the passenger airbag light AND the dash light (circle and person red light on the gauge cluster). Experts have told me it's an 'easy fix' but I haven't seen it happen yet. Please share if you figure out the problem!
Yeah, I read this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16293

Some owners were able to have everything functional without any issues... vs other (like me) have an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byun View Post
Mine is functioning the same exact way, can't figure it out. I have a seat belt canceler to leave buckled in when I run harnesses on track so I just leave it in when driving on the streets when I have no passenger.

I even bought another oem seat cushion with sensor intact to see if I broke the sensor when removing it from my original seat but still acts the same way.

I haven't been able to get the passenger side to have the airbag on light turn on when I have a passenger or have the sensor folded up under the seat.

Even replacement stock seat still causes light?!?!?! Did you have battery disconnected when you replacing them? Cuz that doesn't sound right. If you're putting BRZL seats into FRS, I heard have an issue (like top post), but never heard BRZL to BRZL seat replacement having an issue
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
byun

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I read this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16293

Some owners were able to have everything functional without any issues... vs other (like me) have an issue.

Even replacement stock seat still causes light?!?!?! Did you have battery disconnected when you replacing them? Cuz that doesn't sound right. If you're putting BRZL seats into FRS, I heard have an issue (like top post), but never heard BRZL to BRZL seat replacement having an issue
I have a fixed back racing seat in my car right now. but I put the oem old seat in to see if it still works, but still acts the same. I didn't have the battery disconnected when doing all this so not sure whats going on.

I've just left the canceller plugged in when no one is riding with me and it's working no lights, just always says airbag off either way.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byun View Post
I have a fixed back racing seat in my car right now. but I put the oem old seat in to see if it still works, but still acts the same. I didn't have the battery disconnected when doing all this so not sure whats going on.

I've just left the canceller plugged in when no one is riding with me and it's working no lights, just always says airbag off either way.
You scared me for a sec lol yeah next time you put the stock seat back, disconnect the battery, that should be able to get all the sensor back w no lights.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
byun

Garage
Quote:
You scared me for a sec lol yeah next time you put the stock seat back, disconnect the battery, that should be able to get all the sensor back w no lights.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Now, I have 2 problems.

Like this:

Like this:

Thanks
Hmm this is really strange. I have two bride zeta III brides (carbon) installed and don't have any issues what so ever. The only difference I have with yours is that I purchased the actual resistors that I spliced into the wiring that cusco made. I don't have the part number anymore and I also don't have my contact there anymore, but they do make them. Furthermore, on the passenger side, the seat occupancy sensor, I made sure that was functional. The bottom of the seat has a hole that I ran the sensor through and I placed the occupancy sensor which is like a big electrical piece that is the size of the seat where someone sits is directly under the cushion. With the brides, you can remove the cushion where someone sits so I basically laid out the occupancy sensor on the actual seat then placed the cushion on top since the brides have Velcro keeping both together. When someone sits, everything is good and when the seat belt goes in, no problem and no lights. Otherwise, I haven't touched anything else that relates to the seats and the airbag system besides the steering wheel. I'm not sure if this helps, but if it does, then awesome. If not, I'm sorry haha.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Hmm this is really strange. I have two bride zeta III brides (carbon) installed and don't have any issues what so ever. The only difference I have with yours is that I purchased the actual resistors that I spliced into the wiring that cusco made. I don't have the part number anymore and I also don't have my contact there anymore, but they do make them. Furthermore, on the passenger side, the seat occupancy sensor, I made sure that was functional. The bottom of the seat has a hole that I ran the sensor through and I placed the occupancy sensor which is like a big electrical piece that is the size of the seat where someone sits is directly under the cushion. With the brides, you can remove the cushion where someone sits so I basically laid out the occupancy sensor on the actual seat then placed the cushion on top since the brides have Velcro keeping both together. When someone sits, everything is good and when the seat belt goes in, no problem and no lights. Otherwise, I haven't touched anything else that relates to the seats and the airbag system besides the steering wheel. I'm not sure if this helps, but if it does, then awesome. If not, I'm sorry haha.
Thanks for the info. I have Cusco Digo II. Below the cushion, there's a mesh net, so I put the sensor there. Also I did get the resistor from Cusco as well, but I bought myself few from Amazon & put that kind instead of Cusco. Today, I'll put Cusco ones to see if that makes any difference
Old 03-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
ft86me

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have Cusco Digo II. Below the cushion, there's a mesh net, so I put the sensor there. Also I did get the resistor from Cusco as well, but I bought myself few from Amazon & put that kind instead of Cusco. Today, I'll put Cusco ones to see if that makes any difference

No problem. Hopefully that does the trick. I haven't seen the digo before so I'm not sure but is there a way to have the sensor sitting on the actual seat itself under the cushion so it is underneath everything and sits flat ?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
No problem. Hopefully that does the trick. I haven't seen the digo before so I'm not sure but is there a way to have the sensor sitting on the actual seat itself under the cushion so it is underneath everything and sits flat ?

Digo is this

It have a mesh net below the cushion and I thought its flat enough. Maybe I need to put some plastic sheet to make it flat. I'll work on it more today.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
ft86me

Quote:
Digo is this

It have a mesh net below the cushion and I thought its flat enough. Maybe I need to put some plastic sheet to make it flat. I'll work on it more today.

Ah okay. Well, try to make it flat and see how that pans out and definitely try the cusco resistors. Fingers crossed!

The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Ah okay. Well, try to make it flat and see how that pans out and definitely try the cusco resistors. Fingers crossed!

Yesterday, I didn't have a chance to work on it, but today after work I had a time to work on it a bit.

So I replaced resistors with Bride/Cusco resistors, still no luck. I've moved occupancy sensor around to make sure it's flat, but no luck as well. Debating to figure out if I messed up on the sensor while I was peeling em off from the seat.

As long as passenger seatbelt is buckled up (in?), airbag light on the gauge the doesn't come on. Debating to just buy the adaptor & call it good... but does it even pass annual safety? lol
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
ft86me

Quote:
Yesterday, I didn't have a chance to work on it, but today after work I had a time to work on it a bit.

So I replaced resistors with Bride/Cusco resistors, still no luck. I've moved occupancy sensor around to make sure it's flat, but no luck as well. Debating to figure out if I messed up on the sensor while I was peeling em off from the seat.

As long as passenger seatbelt is buckled up (in?), airbag light on the gauge the doesn't come on. Debating to just buy the adaptor & call it good... but does it even pass annual safety? lol

Now that's strange. The sensor is basically the only thing seeing if someone is in the seat and at that point it should say airbag on and that's it with no other issues. Plug in seatbelt and it should still say airbag on and the seatbelt light should be gone. Really strange !