follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Berzerk

Drives: '17 CWP Limited BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Scraping/Scratching" noise on acceleration?

Hello all,

I recently purchased my '17 BRZ w/PP back in February. It has been a fantastic car so far and haven't had any issues. I'm at about the 3200 mile mark. Recently though, I am hearing a scraping/scratching noise whenever I accelerate. The sound only lasts for the brief moment that I put my foot on the gas. It does not happen on every single acceleration. It seems to be random as I couldn't replicate a pattern.

It's not super loud (not loud enough to get on video very well probably), but it is definitely audible if you're in the cabin. It does not sound like it's coming from the rear, but somewhere in the front. I can't tell whether it's something in the engine area, the suspension, or the brakes?

I have really been noticing it within the last month or so, but now I'm not sure if it has been happening for awhile and it is now just really getting my attention.

As I don't have much experience with this vehicle, is this a normal sound I don't need to worry about? I was planning on taking it into my dealership anyway since it's under warranty, but I'd love to hear thoughts first.

Thanks!
Berzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,189 Times in 3,476 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why not?

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,877 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Well, I don't think that sound is "normal" ..... at least either mine doesn't do it or I can't hear it ......

Maybe if the dealer gets it up on a lift, they can spot something that is lose ....

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If it's at a specific RPM/RPM range it most likely is a rattling heat shield.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (06-21-2017), Tcoat (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is it possibly the sound generator tube?

I plugged mine right away because it gave a raspy sound in the cabin on initial acceleration, which I suppose could sound similar to a scraping noise.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
infinitewhiskey

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
If it's at a specific RPM/RPM range it most likely is a rattling heat shield.
Could also be the overpipe heat shield rubbing somewhere on the sway bar mount area.
infinitewhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I had a bad heat-shield on my front-pipe. Noticed it right after the break-in period. Took me a long time to figure out what the hell it was, but it was fixed under warranty. It sounded more like a grinding/ metallic scrapping noise and only heard it under acceleration. I would start by check all your heat-shields and go from there.
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
cat94

Drives: '17 86
Is heat shield rattling a concern that should be fixed? At 3.5-4.5k rpm I get a buzzing that sounds like it's coming from the dash area. I've tried to ignore it but I hear it every time =\
cat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
Berzerk

Drives: '17 CWP Limited BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
I had a bad heat-shield on my front-pipe. Noticed it right after the break-in period. Took me a long time to figure out what the hell it was, but it was fixed under warranty. It sounded more like a grinding/ metallic scrapping noise and only heard it under acceleration. I would start by check all your heat-shields and go from there.
Your description sounds exactly like what I'm hearing, a grinding/metallic scraping noise under acceleration. Did it happen during the whole acceleration? Or just at the beginning as soon as the pedal is pressed down? For example, I start accelerating and the noise happens initially, but is not constant throughout the rest of the acceleration.

I will definitely check the heat shields and front pipe and then report back.

Thank you everyone for the info!
Berzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Berzerk For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerk View Post
Your description sounds exactly like what I'm hearing, a grinding/metallic scraping noise under acceleration. Did it happen during the whole acceleration? Or just at the beginning as soon as the pedal is pressed down? For example, I start accelerating and the noise happens initially, but is not constant throughout the rest of the acceleration.

Noises that arent constant are usually an indication that something is vibrating and certain ranges of RPM makes it vibrate more and resonate. It totally seems like you have something loose or touching some of the shielding underneath the car. Get under it and take a loot at it, there might be visual damage to a shield (like hitting a rock or something) and it might be easier to spot. Otherwise, maybe put a gopro under the car while driving to see if you can film where the vibration is coming from. Or ignore, its just another noise the car makes, its not like its a silent car.

Edit: also, your username and your profile pic are so conflicting! lol
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #11
UH60CE

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
I have this issue as well. Brand new 2017 Toyota 86 not even at 1500 miles yet and I recently noticed when I step on gas pedal a little harder than usual or sudden throttle acceleration I hear a a short brief metallic scrape screech click grind what ever you call it. So what could this be guys? I broke in my car the 1000 miles properly never even revved over 3500 rpm. Never scraped or bottomed out the car either. Put the car on a lift the other week just to inspect the underbody and everything is flawless no sign of any defect or anything. Car is a manual so maybe the sound generator rubs in the aluminum intake manifold when you step on gas cause you know how the engine moves when you give it some gas but it doesn't do that screech sound when in neutral and parked. I'm curious to see where this short little scrape sounds is coming from
UH60CE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UH60CE For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:03 AM   #12
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,189 Times in 3,476 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
About 2 months into the ownership of my BRZee I started to note a funny high pitch screeching/swirly sound. It kinda sounded like something metallic spinning (much like an angle grinder but really faint) but it would only happen intermittently.

As my ear become more attuned to the noise and after reading various posts about unusual noises, it boiled down to our friends the "crickets". Taking the car into dealer first week of July for a service and check on the "crickets".
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerk View Post

I'm sorry for the late response! Yes, exactly what you said is what I experienced. Once I got up to speed and the engine/ trans settled out all was good. I would take it to the dealership and have them check all of your heat shields. I hope it works out for you!
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 View Post
I'm sorry for the late response! Yes, exactly what you said is what I experienced. Once I got up to speed and the engine/ trans settled out all was good. I would take it to the dealership and have them check all of your heat shields. I hope it works out for you!
Do you have an update on this? I am experiencing the exact same issue. 17 Manual BRZ 30k miles.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote