follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
neroman98

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Track Build
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrooks View Post
Sorry about tbe rod. I thought adding a crank case vacuum pump wojld solve the problem. It usually seals everything up nicely and seals rings tighter to cylinder walls
I’ve never heard of a crank case vacuum pump until now but after doing some research I really wish I got the chance to try this on my old motor. For anyone suffering with the same blowby issue, it may be worthwhile to try this. Thank you, Rabrooks!
neroman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
Infinity

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the updates. I am contemplating boosting my FRS but when I read stuff like this it really makes me not sure if I should go through with it. Especially when it sounds like all 3 of you are having similar issues even though you are all using quality parts.

What are you planning to do now?
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
neroman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Thanks for the updates. I am contemplating boosting my FRS but when I read stuff like this it really makes me not sure if I should go through with it. Especially when it sounds like all 3 of you are having similar issues even though you are all using quality parts.

What are you planning to do now?
Built motor. As for my oiling solution, I’m kind of keeping it secret until I do a reveal on my YouTube channel. As far as whether I recommend boosting, I would say if you’re willing to spend time and money problem solving and willing to pay for a new motor incase things go wrong, go for it. But if you like simplicity and reliability then don’t. It’s hard because some people boost with zero issues and some people blow in less than a year like me.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
Infinity

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What is your youtube channel?
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
x2 Rabrooks, we found on track cars with turbo the crank case often had positive pressure and blew oil. Putting a vacuum seemed to do two things; we controlled the oil out of the crankcase , but more importantly it seemed to reduce the oil coming from the crankcase. I do not know why but lower internal pressure seem to help quite a lot with keeping the oil out of vapor.

If you were two quarts low and on the track you might have oil starve the engine in a turn. Baffles, accusump, drysump. Sound expensive but compared to an engine rebuild? Well forget the drysump it is the cost of a new engine by the time you get through. I personally like the accusump as an answer to tracked but not raced cars.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
neroman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
What is your youtube channel?
I don't post often but here's a link. Hoping to have the motor and car back shortly and I will start making content at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMO..._as=subscriber

I post a lot more on Instagram: neroman98
Old 03-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #21
neroman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
x2 Rabrooks, we found on track cars with turbo the crank case often had positive pressure and blew oil. Putting a vacuum seemed to do two things; we controlled the oil out of the crankcase , but more importantly it seemed to reduce the oil coming from the crankcase. I do not know why but lower internal pressure seem to help quite a lot with keeping the oil out of vapor.

If you were two quarts low and on the track you might have oil starve the engine in a turn. Baffles, accusump, drysump. Sound expensive but compared to an engine rebuild? Well forget the drysump it is the cost of a new engine by the time you get through. I personally like the accusump as an answer to tracked but not raced cars.
Dang, now I really wish I tried the vacuum.

Yeah I definitely starved the engine of oil which led to the engine failure. An Accusump is a great option but unfortunately not a lot of people make kits for the FRS/BRZ/86 platform. I was looking into the one element tuning makes.

I'm hoping that my next oiling solution will solve the blow by issue once and for all since I really do not want to invest in another built motor. Time will tell.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #22
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The accusump is very easy to install in about any car. That is why very few "kits".
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aos, catch cans, issue, oil, turbo