follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
frsvr4

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, driving slowly in the left lane, preventing others from passing, or well below the speed limit in any lane (like a "*****") can anger people. Good point.
frsvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
Loud imports = ricer to a lot of daily drivers. People in vans and sedans see an import car that is loud or has leds and instantly think it's some kid ricer trying to be cool.

A lot of times, sadly, that's a correct assumption but there are always different people.

Personally I think the stock exhaust muffles the rumble too much. The car sounds great behind the wheel and I wish it had that same rumble out the back.
I don't need it to be loud and tinny like a Civic, but a bit less muffled would be pleasurable in the tunnel I drive through to work every day
SillySaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SillySaxon For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (09-06-2013), Marchy (09-06-2013), Soulman03 (09-12-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
SillySaxon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Well mine is pretty damn loud only because it is functional. I have HKS header with motiv front pipe that is catted, motive overpipe, and ark catback with a resonator. mind you I had a custom helmholtz installed on the front pipe to eliminate rasp and tone the drone down and my vortech.

Now do I purposely fly by people or sit next to someone then punch it? hell no. Keep it classy and tasteful. I try and keep bearable and be quiet in neighborhoods, but when I'm going on on ramps, Ok, it's game time. Opening it up is music to my ears with EL header, but being obnoxious is a no no. I guess it depends on how you actually contain or unleash the loudness. my .02 =]]]
I agree with this mentality.
Now, I like mine to have more of what I hear behind the wheel. It has a pleasing rumble you have to admit but that just doesn't translate to the exhaust unfortunately.
I don't want it LOUD, i want it to be more pronounced.

I saw a guy in a 350Z that had twin turbos and a couple of giant tailpipes. He was actually driving like a decent person. Until I drove past him, he saw me and had to speed up and dodge a bit to get up to me so I figured "what the hell, i'll entertain him"
We both took off and i was keeping up until the turbos kicked in, then there was a puff of smoke out the back and his Z took off.
We ended up driving to the same store and we checked out each other's cars.

I was impressed with the power in that Z and he thought my 10 series was pretty sweet looking.

This for me is the essence of driving cars like these and modding, it's for the entertainment and the joy of driving. It's not about making your civic loud and obnoxious looking while doing nothing with the engine in it, it's about being smart with how you build your car and building it to make yourself smile, not anyone else.

I figure as long as you smile while driving the car, you're doing it right.
SillySaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SillySaxon For This Useful Post:
ft86me (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
bear89103
Old Fart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
This is a little bit like when girls dress up like sluts and people stare at them and they go "What a perv, staring at me like that."

You fixed up your car to be noticed. You're gonna get noticed. Good/bad/or otherwise. People may look at you with adoration, jealousy, disgust, frustration, whatever. But they're gonna pay attention to a loud ass exhaust.

Complaining about it is futile. And I'm not saying YOU ARE one, but it's a little like being an attention whore.

Drive safely. Obey the laws. Open her up at the track or on safe empty copless streets. And forget whatever else people are looking or saying about you.

bear89103 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bear89103 For This Useful Post:
ft86me (09-06-2013), strat61caster (09-06-2013), wparsons (09-22-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Spencer Strayer
Drifter in Progress

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, MKV GTi
Garage
So funny you mention this... I was at the community pool this summer just backing my car into its spot (no revs past 2-2.3k just enough to back it in) and an angry parent runs over too me, begins cussing me out saying im a danger to the lives of the children here. Simply told him "I'm not going to deal with your idiocity" and walked away trying to ignore his multiple threats to me. I guess since im so used to the sound I don't actually realize how loud these cars can be even at low rpms.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Personally I bought an exhaust because I love the sporty sound it makes and it fills in the exhaust cutouts better than the tiny stock tips. The extra attention it attracts is a negative IMO, but I never did buy it for other people.

I am mindful that people, especially pedestrians, might get scared of anything that sounds remotely louder than stock, so I try to upshift as quickly as possible in my neighborhood and I keep my speeds low. It's give and take. Enjoy your exhaust, but don't scare/annoy others.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #35
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdanisi View Post
yet if you have loud exhaust and you keep it locked down and you drive like a ***** it angers people.
it happens to me to. i've only done intake and axleback, just so i can enjoy the sound of my own car. i usually stay less than 3k cause the rumble is amazing. imo, its not louder than a M3 or mustang. which, imo, are not exactly "quiet" off the lot.
too many people think they are superior to others on the road, i simply ignore these types of people. if someone gets pissed because they don't like my car or the way i drive, thats too bad. it's their problem, not mine. unfortunately, strangers seem quicker to be critical than instead of being rational. just my .02
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
86_Insider

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am always think its a good thing to let people know you are there.

If they get upset, it's only because they want theirs to be loud too!

Customer Support
86 Insider
86_Insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
My Ark Grip isn't too loud but for some reason everyone thinks that i'm trying to race them. They are always trying to cut me off at lights and trying to get in front of me and what not. I don't drive like a jerk at all, so I don't get it. The one time i decided to be a **** because this guy wanted to race out in front of me because there was a semi in his lane i floored it in first and the sound scared me lol 4k up is pretty damn loud on our cars.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #38
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_Insider View Post
I am always think its a good thing to let people know you are there.

If they get upset, it's only because they want theirs to be loud too!

Customer Support
86 Insider
My policy for when i had my motorcycle. Although i think i may have gone a little deaf from my two bothers on my gixxer.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
samfrs
Custom User Title

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdanisi View Post
So im noticing a recurring pattern with my everyday driving. I have a fairly loud exhaust setup, I love it, and I know a lot of other car buffs, frs/brz owners love it as well. BUT I know most people probably aren't too fond of having their eardrums blown out as I pass them at 7200 rpm. So I do my best to keep it locked down. Especially in neighborhoods, by schools, stuff like that. Not cool to run into someone backing out or hit a dog or a little kid or something. Areas I do downshift and rev I have to admit, parking garages and tunnels. But the point of this post is why the hell does everyone get mad at me when im casually driving? Its like because I have exhaust if im not going way above the speed limit people deliberately pass me in disgust. "Its like wow this guy in front me of is going the speed limit in that car? wow he must be drunk or high". No way im the only who gets this right? Its not even a come race me bro its just like if im not speeding or driving aggresively people get agitated. Does anyone know what im talking about lol?? If you have no idea what im talking about im sorry but,
"With great exhaust comes great responsibility."
I know exactly what you talking about. Here in Philly I see those driver everyday. Up my ass on the highway fly by me give me the dirtiest look as I smile back then cut to my lane just to make a point.
samfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
lol i love it personally. Sometimes when i would be bored of my exhaust, i would go open down pipe on my STi. That shit was so loud but awesome. Even my dual sport was loud as shit, and i would be pinging it everywhere.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #41
SillySaxon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfrs View Post
I know exactly what you talking about. Here in Philly I see those driver everyday. Up my ass on the highway fly by me give me the dirtiest look as I smile back then cut to my lane just to make a point.
I get that in stock, I think it's just the car
@bkblitzed what movie is your siggy from? It is most excellent
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #42
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
The older I get, the more I appreciate quiet.

Now I am going to go outside and yell at the clouds.