follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Subtle

Drives: Asphalt Grey Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Planing Exhaust Upgrades for my FR-S

Hey, Everyone, I have been trying to decide on exhaust upgrades to improve the sound and power potential of my FR-S without going overboard on volume.

Exhaust System Goals:
-Provide enough flow to increase power and accommodate a Jackson Racing supercharger in the future.
-Improve exhaust tone without going overboard of volume (This is my daily driver so I want to avoid too much noise, even after supercharging).
-Remain street legal (I am in Colorado, and not familiar with what you can usually get away with so any advice there would be great).
-Add lightness.

Any advice on putting a system togeather would be great. I have been reading up on different parts and listening to videos but its hard to compare a video to what I will experience IRL. Do I need a catted header to remain legal? If only one cat is required for legality would a catted header or front pipe be the better choice? Is 2.5" enough or should I consider something larger?

I am thinking an equal length header (haven't decided which one or whether it should be catted). Something like an Invidia Q300, which leaves the front pipe to replace with a catted or resonated section to keep sound in check. Ideally, it would be louder than stock but not much even after supercharging, but at the very least I want to avoid any drone to keep its everyday driveability.

Thoughts?
Subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
Hey, Everyone, I have been trying to decide on exhaust upgrades to improve the sound and power potential of my FR-S without going overboard on volume.............

Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum, there Subtle .........

There is a ton of possible exhaust combinations out there ...... and everyone has their own system that they may or may not like.

I would suggest you put an aftermarket muffler on it and leave the rest of the exhaust system alone. If you want more power, go ahead and put a supercharger on it and get a tune.

See, how simple that was ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #3
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
In order to remain legal the law reads that you cannot modify or move any pollution control device. You have to keep both cats in the original positions in order to remain legal. You can replace them with hi flow cats.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Planing Exhaust Upgrades for my FR-S

Name:  Aviat-Husky-2T.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  dual-exhaust.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  36.3 KB

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
In order to remain legal the law reads that you cannot modify or move any pollution control device. You have to keep both cats in the original positions in order to remain legal. You can replace them with hi flow cats.
How many high flow cats out there are 50 state approved?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
that. and how does replacing with non stock may mean NOT modifying them?
"Officer, i still have stock cats unmodified. Somewhere in basement"
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Try to go header first, as you plan on supercharging later on down the road. As for catback try to get one that is tame. Aftermarket headers add a decent amount of volume as is. 2.5" diameter is the way to go with supercharging. 3" is more for turbo applications.

It might say that it is illegal to modify your cats, but it really depends on how strict your law enforcement is. For example, where I live (Washington) it is technically illegal to modify your cats, but I've never gotten pulled over or ticketed for it despite having a straight pipe with no cats at all. If anything, I've only gotten compliments from LE.
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey, Everyone, I have been trying to decide on exhaust upgrades to improve the sound and power potential of my FR-S without going overboard on volume.

Exhaust System Goals:
-Provide enough flow to increase power and accommodate a Jackson Racing supercharger in the future.
-Improve exhaust tone without going overboard of volume (This is my daily driver so I want to avoid too much noise, even after supercharging).
-Remain street legal (I am in Colorado, and not familiar with what you can usually get away with so any advice there would be great).
-Add lightness.

Any advice on putting a system togeather would be great. I have been reading up on different parts and listening to videos but its hard to compare a video to what I will experience IRL. Do I need a catted header to remain legal? If only one cat is required for legality would a catted header or front pipe be the better choice? Is 2.5" enough or should I consider something larger?

I am thinking an equal length header (haven't decided which one or whether it should be catted). Something like an Invidia Q300, which leaves the front pipe to replace with a catted or resonated section to keep sound in check. Ideally, it would be louder than stock but not much even after supercharging, but at the very least I want to avoid any drone to keep its everyday driveability.

Thoughts?
CSG Touring86 exhaust paired with the JRSC is a very good setup with minimal to no drone. We have the most experience with a variety of setups for the JRSC. Please let us know if you have any inquiries. Thank you!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Jmonty (04-17-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Subtle

Garage
Quote:
Try to go header first, as you plan on supercharging later on down the road. As for catback try to get one that is tame. Aftermarket headers add a decent amount of volume as is. 2.5" diameter is the way to go with supercharging. 3" is more for turbo applications.

It might say that it is illegal to modify your cats, but it really depends on how strict your law enforcement is. For example, where I live (Washington) it is technically illegal to modify your cats, but I've never gotten pulled over or ticketed for it despite having a straight pipe with no cats at all. If anything, I've only gotten compliments from LE.
Ya seems it is more of a don't go too extreme on your exhaust and you will be fine.

Quote:
CSG Touring86 exhaust paired with the JRSC is a very good setup with minimal to no drone. We have the most experience with a variety of setups for the JRSC. Please let us know if you have any inquiries. Thank you!
I won't lie I have been looking at that exhaust quite a lot. I saw it first in your 5-year anniversary exhaust kit but was worried it would be loud with no cats. How would you compare its volume to stock and other competitors? What would you recomend pairing with it to keep things from getting too loud if not the ACE parts in the anniversary kit?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Subtle

Garage
Just found another forum with good info on the CSG MXP Touring exaust.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115565

Tags
csg, exhaust, exhaust modification noob, fr-s, jackson racing