follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Kuzuri I had those tires once on a previous car and they felt like crap, similar feeling to what you are describing, with a noticeable drop in grip feel when driving the car

The power steering recall does not apply to the US
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
@Kuzuri It's probably the tires. The most common complaint I read about the v12 evo2's are that they have squirmy/soft sidewalls.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Kuzuri (08-18-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzuri View Post
I can look into this.

The coilovers seem fine. I checked them for oil and loose bolts when I had the car jacked up. I mean I guess it's still possible. I have about 40k on the suspension. The spoiler is the Speedhunters KM4SH piece. Thanks!

I have been feeling like the tires might be the cause. I have been running the same size Evo 1's for 3 years on the same size wheels and never had a problem. I didnt drive my car hard this year before getting new tires so I cant say for sure that the issue wasn't there before switching to the Evo2's but I definitely have noticed it since switching.

Do you think Hankook would do anything for us if we brought a few people to their attention that are experiencing these issues with the same tire?

Definitely not my camber. I have had the same set up for 3 years without a problem. My car has done drift days, drag strip passes, and general hooning and runs on the backroads. This problem is very recent and unrelated to the fitment of my wheels. I added an extra 5 psi to the tires when I checked them and it didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I live in Boscobel, so you're not too far. Spring Green isn't a bad area though. You can head out towards Lone Rock/Avoca and hit that road that goes next to the River, or you could go out to Gotham and cut over to Muscoda. The road I am talking about that I hit 80mph through corners runs between Woodman and Prairie Du Chien. The first half is kind of rough but the second half you can really fly through the corners.

I tried this and didn't notice anything wrong. The only physical change from when it felt okay has been tires. I'm just not sure if maybe a certain bump could have knocked something out o maybe the coilovers have just gone bad

The over fenders are from Garage Vary. Very subtle but add a little bit extra. I'm happy with them for now!

Thank you!

You have mushy response from wider front wheels? That's odd. I have run a square setup the entire time I've had the car and found the opposite to be true. My car is snappy and has quick turn in and sometimes gets a little too squirrely when sliding.

I didn't know there was one? More info?

Woops, just realized that was for right-hand drive vehicles only my bad. Hope you get it sorted man!
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Odd. I have 17x9 wheels and 245 PSS. No mushiness at all, in fact, the opposite due to the PSS' stiff sidewalls.
Don't get me wrong. It corners like it's on rails. The stiff sidewalls and extra grip see to that.

I'm talking about the feel of the steering. With the stock tires, the steering was so responsive to input that I almost felt like I could think what I wanted to do, and the car did it. Now, with that extra area in the contact patch that also happens to be stickier, it's slightly less responsive and takes just a tiny bit more effort, and the feel of the road through the steering wheel is deadened a little. In normal turns in normal traffic, the tires are resisting the turn enough that the entire steering system starts to feel more elastic than stock. It probably wouldn't make a big difference at higher speeds on a track, but I don't track my car. I'm going by the way it feels driving around town.

The difference is very small, but because the front end seemed to be balanced on a knife's edge to begin with, that tiny difference is the same as falling over a cliff. I think I'm going to drop back to a staggered setup to see if I can get back some of that responsiveness that made the car so much fun to drive around town. I don't like the way the extra wide rims look on the front of the car anyway.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
@Kuzuri It's probably the tires. The most common complaint I read about the v12 evo2's are that they have squirmy/soft sidewalls.
I probably won't be driving my car a whole lot for the rest of the year so I might just pick up some new tires next season. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #20
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzuri View Post

Do you think Hankook would do anything for us if we brought a few people to their attention that are experiencing these issues with the same tire?
Highly doubt it but its worth a shot. Im sure the only option is to see if there is some sort of satisfaction guarantee like michelin has. Strangely many people run the tire without issues.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
davidog3

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did you ever Find the issue Im staring to have that issue on my car 2014 model got it new, Ive been all over the suspension can’t find anything wrong , Im suspecting is my steering I even change my steering rack bushings for whitleine thinking oem were worn out but no change I feel like a dead spot on the steering at high speed cornering Car has been on the aligment shop several times usually when im taking a freeway ramp around 75 the car tents to turn more. Of my steering input in middle of the corner is not oversteer, or just feels like an extra steering input something wrong with the steering at least thats my feel, I have hankook before v12 and rs-3 also falken azenis and now im on dunlop direzzaIII 225 45 17 rim is 17x8 Ive just start experiencing this issue a few months back im on stock sachs suspension from a and spc camber bolts.Im gonna add the front sway bar whiteline 20mm to see if that helps , for years Ive been running only the rear swaybar from whiteline and stock at front I like how the car felt but now I will try the front hopefully that will give me more stability and not too much understeer, if you find your issue that will be nice to know , also what swaybars do you have ?I hope is not my steering rack or motor whats giving me issues I do track the car fairly often nothin I can feel on the track only street driving like freeway ramps
davidog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #22
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How's the alignment?
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #23
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe steering rack bushings as well... didn't like the factory steering rack bushings from first time put stickier than stock tires on it and solid aluminum bushings with tighter toleranced bolts were one of the first upgrades I ever did to it 8 years ago. Still feels tighter and more direct than a brand new factory car.