follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #43
RRslip

Drives: Black BRZ - STX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Not likely. Driver spacing is bad, making the mid>tweet crossover much more problematic. For the sizes employed, the two should be kept paired. Treat them as if they were one.
+1 for this. You want to keep the center to center mounting distance less than 1 wavelength of the crossover frequency.
RRslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRslip For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #44
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Not likely. Driver spacing is bad, making the mid>tweet crossover much more problematic. For the sizes employed, the two should be kept paired. Treat them as if they were one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRslip View Post
+1 for this. You want to keep the center to center mounting distance less than 1 wavelength of the crossover frequency.
Was not aware that was a thing. If the tweets and mids are always together like a unit then you really dont need time delay between a tweet and mid channel, yes? If that's true then I can just power it off the same channel with passive crossovers and I should be good? Or am I off base here?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #45
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Was not aware that was a thing. If the tweets and mids are always together like a unit then you really dont need time delay between a tweet and mid channel, yes? If that's true then I can just power it off the same channel with passive crossovers and I should be good? Or am I off base here?

You may need time delay, but you can still do that in a properly designed passive. Or by physically offsetting so their acoustic centers are planar. When I get around to redoing my car, I'll be doing a passive XO and single amp. I might actually do a 3-way passive, but that gets tricky and probably isn't worth the weight in parts. Or the headache.

You can get really bizarre behavior when c2c rules are broken. In a well controlled space, this can sometimes be useful... but a car is already a mess for high frequencies. Basically you pick up ugly comb filtering.
My worst goof with this was EQing a set of pro tops which have a vertical array of a whole bunch of horn-loaded tweeters... and I had to measure too close and forgot to move the mic... had this horrible null, and it didn't want to EQ and kept sounding worse and worse... then and I remembered my physics. Distances between were bigger than shared frequencies resulting in comb filtering. Since these are designed for much bigger distances to the listener, this works out in this particular design... but again, not in a car!
bored today I am.
solidONE (04-22-2020), soundman98 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #46
solidONE

What do you guys think about the factory positioning of the tweeter and mid on the dash? That's a fixed location, so all of us have the same acustics. I'm sure it will take me much much longer to figure this out.

tell me about it.. good thing i got 99-projects going on between my car and my home. Multi-tasking is a myth i tell ya. A fantasy.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #47
RRslip

Drives: Black BRZ - STX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm fine with the OEM location. IMO there are a lot a really good reasons to stick the tweeter right next to the glass in car audio applications. Glass is a great reflector. These cars are noisy, so a sound system can only be so good. The road and engine noise are enough to make the glass reflection compromise a no brainer. Meaning it's not worth it, to me, to change the location.

When I did my system I replaced the OEM mid/tw with a tweeter only, so I'm not sure what it will sound like with a mid up there. I got great imaging after time aligning. I was using a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for crossover and time alignment.
RRslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRslip For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #48
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRslip View Post
I'm fine with the OEM location. IMO there are a lot a really good reasons to stick the tweeter right next to the glass in car audio applications. Glass is a great reflector. These cars are noisy, so a sound system can only be so good. The road and engine noise are enough to make the glass reflection compromise a no brainer. Meaning it's not worth it, to me, to change the location.

When I did my system I replaced the OEM mid/tw with a tweeter only, so I'm not sure what it will sound like with a mid up there. I got great imaging after time aligning. I was using a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for crossover and time alignment.
@soundman98 runs mids only on the dash. I can see how that can be appealing with a driver that have good high range. If you listen to music loud I can see or hear how tweeters can become fatiguing to the ears. For average volumes, at least with my dash speakers, I prefer with mids and stock tweeter vs just the mids. Doesnt sound bad. Tho, i've some even nicer speakers waiting for me to test out including a pair of BMF drivers that has really good off axis performance.

Between the factory speakers and the 4 full range and 6.5" components I can try out different combos and see what i like better. I'm sure I've way overthinking it.

Last edited by solidONE; 04-23-2020 at 12:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-22-2020)